Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttreb)
    Yes that's a great idea The only problem i find (with all exams) is that on the real thing i seem to do much worse and come out lower than i ever got. i really hope this doesn't happen!

Tomorrow I'm starting section C, probably starting with physiological, and i will see how it all goes from there. How is your investigations revision going?
    Haven't started psychological investigations yet, how is yours? Yeah I have the same problem, I feel really confident about a certain exam and then actually get a low mark. We just need to practice. I am gonna go over the individual differences approach first and write my notes for all the studies and then I am gonna start doing papers. Are you confident for section A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyamshah)
    Haven't started psychological investigations yet, how is yours? Yeah I have the same problem, I feel really confident about a certain exam and then actually get a low mark. We just need to practice. I am gonna go over the individual differences approach first and write my notes for all the studies and then I am gonna start doing papers. Are you confident for section A?
    Ah ok. Hmm well at the moment its going pretty well. Managed to finish the experimental method, correlation & observation. Only two to go thankfully! But again i'm nervous about it because the investigations paper seems to be very harshly marked. Haha yeah practice makes perfect. I'm quite confident about section A, which makes me anxious hahaha. Definitely section B and C will be my weaker points simply due to the amount we have to write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttreb)
    Ah ok. Hmm well at the moment its going pretty well. Managed to finish the experimental method, correlation & observation. Only two to go thankfully! But again i'm nervous about it because the investigations paper seems to be very harshly marked. Haha yeah practice makes perfect. I'm quite confident about section A, which makes me anxious hahaha. Definitely section B and C will be my weaker points simply due to the amount we have to write.
    You are making good progress which is good! I really need to start revising psychology haha. Yeah section A is the easiest although some of the questions can be awkward. Section C might not be that bad though but deffo section B is the hardest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are making good progress which is good! I really need to start revising psychology haha. Yeah section A is the easiest although some of the questions can be awkward. Section C might not be that bad though but deffo section B is the hardest!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just finished making my first section C presentation. Decided to do the physiological approach and it went okay. Not so strong on the "how does the approach explain ______" but i guess practice makes perfect. I was looking at some grade thresholds, and from June 2012 you can drop 35 marks and still get an A! So even if we do terribly on section C and somehow lose all 24 marks, we are still in with getting a high grade which is reassuring

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing terrible revising for this exam, but i've made so many revision cards but just get so unmotivated to revise! This is my 2nd attempt at this exam and what's annoying is that i need to know this stuff for the G544 exam anyway! How many hours of revision are you doing? And how do you do it! A study a day? An approach (inc studies) a day? So far i've only revised Freud and Bandura :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttreb)
    Just finished making my first section C presentation. Decided to do the physiological approach and it went okay. Not so strong on the "how does the approach explain ______" but i guess practice makes perfect. I was looking at some grade thresholds, and from June 2012 you can drop 35 marks and still get an A! So even if we do terribly on section C and somehow lose all 24 marks, we are still in with getting a high grade which is reassuring
    We won't lose all 24 marks anyway, the section C questions are all kind of similar so do as many section C questions as you can and you should be fine. Also make sure you know all the strengths and weaknesses of the approaches as the 12 mark question is pretty much always to do with that. Section A is hard to get all 60 marks but it shouldn't be so bad to get 40+ marks. I still haven't even started revising psychology yet, but am going to start tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkhan9035)
    I've been doing terrible revising for this exam, but i've made so many revision cards but just get so unmotivated to revise! This is my 2nd attempt at this exam and what's annoying is that i need to know this stuff for the G544 exam anyway! How many hours of revision are you doing? And how do you do it! A study a day? An approach (inc studies) a day? So far i've only revised Freud and Bandura :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I read a few of your previous posts about this exam and i feel so bad for you having to do it all over again! I think thats my greatest worry.

Ah thats the worst thing about revising... the bloody motivation to do it. As soon as you start, it gets easier. You need to be aware that "potentially" this could affect your future. After a bad exam mark you tend to feel disheartened and every ounce of motivation goes away and you ultimately end up thinking "i don't care". You need to get out of that funk and realize that you will be able to do brilliantly by putting hard work in.

Well in terms of when i revise, i have 6 exams to study for currently, 3 are within three days so i made a revision timetable. At the moment i do a subject a day for 6 days, then i take a rest on the 7th day.

For psychology i make presentations for two of the studies, using the mark schemes and class notes, and from there its simply a matter of remembering it all (which sucks). I also like to do past papers and do the questions on www.holah.co.uk

At the moment i can remember about 9 studies? Around about that. However obviously not in the full detail.

My advice for you at the moment is to get a move on with learning the study's. I suggest making presentations, simply because once you have done them, all the info you need is there and they're out of the way.

However don't revise everything too early, i know the exam is literally only 8 weeks away but if you start revising absolute loads now, by the time the exam comes around, it will all be forgotten.

I have a social mock on the first day back to school next week so on friday i'll learn intensely the three studies for social and do my mock. From then on i'll be covering the studies basically twice a week, just to make sure they are always in my mind.

When it comes to the exam, i think intensity is the key. It's just remembering remembering remembering writing answers remembering remembering etc... unfortunately.

I'm sure this time round you'll do great, and hey, if not, it's an exam. Not the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    We won't lose all 24 marks anyway, the section C questions are all kind of similar so do as many section C questions as you can and you should be fine. Also make sure you know all the strengths and weaknesses of the approaches as the 12 mark question is pretty much always to do with that. Section A is hard to get all 60 marks but it shouldn't be so bad to get 40+ marks. I still haven't even started revising psychology yet, but am going to start tomorrow!
    So...many...words...to...remembe r hahaha lets hope we do well! So nervous.

ReputationRep:
    I keep banging on about making presentations, just to show you both, this is a presentation i did for Loftus & Palmer.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pptx Loftus & Palmer Revision Presentation.pptx (202.9 KB, 3892 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttreb)
    So...many...words...to...remembe r hahaha lets hope we do well! So nervous.
    I am focusing on psychological investigations at the moment because I feel more confident in the core studies exam. Dont worry all your hard work will be rewarded

ReputationRep:
    ahh guys.. i need help! i really don't know how to revise for this exam!

i've made checklists of stuff i need to cover for each study (and approach) but i don't know how to revise.. i've started making revision notes on word but it ends up really lengthy.. then i tried to make revision cards but they frustrate me because I can't fit enough information in and i feel like i'm missing stuff out......

there's just so much to memorize that it's really stressing me out. I just need a good revision method?

ReputationRep:
    and by the way, does anyone have any understandable notes on Freud's study? The book i use (it's the older verision apparently, the green OCR student book) is completely unorganized and confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttreb)
    I read a few of your previous posts about this exam and i feel so bad for you having to do it all over again! I think thats my greatest worry.

Ah thats the worst thing about revising... the bloody motivation to do it. As soon as you start, it gets easier. You need to be aware that "potentially" this could affect your future. After a bad exam mark you tend to feel disheartened and every ounce of motivation goes away and you ultimately end up thinking "i don't care". You need to get out of that funk and realize that you will be able to do brilliantly by putting hard work in.

Well in terms of when i revise, i have 6 exams to study for currently, 3 are within three days so i made a revision timetable. At the moment i do a subject a day for 6 days, then i take a rest on the 7th day.

For psychology i make presentations for two of the studies, using the mark schemes and class notes, and from there its simply a matter of remembering it all (which sucks). I also like to do past papers and do the questions on www.holah.co.uk

At the moment i can remember about 9 studies? Around about that. However obviously not in the full detail.

My advice for you at the moment is to get a move on with learning the study's. I suggest making presentations, simply because once you have done them, all the info you need is there and they're out of the way.

However don't revise everything too early, i know the exam is literally only 8 weeks away but if you start revising absolute loads now, by the time the exam comes around, it will all be forgotten.

I have a social mock on the first day back to school next week so on friday i'll learn intensely the three studies for social and do my mock. From then on i'll be covering the studies basically twice a week, just to make sure they are always in my mind.

When it comes to the exam, i think intensity is the key. It's just remembering remembering remembering writing answers remembering remembering etc... unfortunately.

I'm sure this time round you'll do great, and hey, if not, it's an exam. Not the end of the world
    Lol thanks for your advice, and I have used the holah website a lot including last years handouts and all the past papers. I've just about completed the developmental approach fully, just regularly check its still in there as i've made revision cards instead of powerpoints and I pray to god I get better than a D :L

ReputationRep:
    So what are every bodies predictions for Section B and C? It would be a dream if Loftus and Palmer came up. Section B is really difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simran Mars Foster)
    So what are every bodies predictions for Section B and C? It would be a dream if Loftus and Palmer came up. Section B is really difficult.
    If Loftus and Palmer comes up i will strip naked and stay naked for the rest of my life. But then again...if L&P comes up, questions will be hard because it's an easy study

My predictions are :

Sperry
    Reicher & Haslam
    Baron-Cohen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttreb)
    If Loftus and Palmer comes up i will strip naked and stay naked for the rest of my life. But then again...if L&P comes up, questions will be hard because it's an easy study

My predictions are :

Sperry
    Reicher & Haslam
    Baron-Cohen
    Yea that's true still rather prefer easy study then questions.

I would prob choose Sperry in that case

ReputationRep:
    Yea that's true still rather prefer easy study then questions.

I would prob choose Sperry in that case
    Think i would go for Baron-Cohen.

ReputationRep:
    How much should you aim to write for the 6 and 8 markers?

ALSO do you need to learn about the Sally Anne test?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    How much should you aim to write for the 6 and 8 markers?

ALSO do you need to learn about the Sally Anne test?

Try to fill all of the lines. You need to make sure you go into enough detail, but be careful of the time.

You need to know about it yes, but do remember it wasn't part of the study!!!! It was stimulus that fueled the actual study to go ahead. So in the exam it may ask "Outline the previous stimulus for the study on theory of mind by Baron Cohen et al". In which you would state about the Sally Anne test and the lack of theory of mind in autistic individuals.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.