Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with the strengths and weaknesses of Reicher and Haslam's study? I can only seem to find weaknesses :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkhan9035)
    Can anyone help me with the strengths and weaknesses of Reicher and Haslam's study? I can only seem to find weaknesses :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I havent revised reicher and haslam in depth but perhaps one strength could be the fact that it was a longitudinal case study. This meant rich and in-depth qualitative data could be could be collected about a relatively small sample over an extended period of time. In the study rich data was collected about the behavior of 15 participants; 10 prisoners and 5 guards and the conditions in which tyranny arises and flourishes.

Another strength could be that it collects qualitative data. then go on to say advantages of that but applied to reicher and haslam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qs2xo)
    I havent revised reicher and haslam in depth but perhaps one strength could be the fact that it was a longitudinal case study. This meant rich and in-depth qualitative data could be could be collected about a relatively small sample over an extended period of time. In the study rich data was collected about the behavior of 15 participants; 10 prisoners and 5 guards and the conditions in which tyranny arises and flourishes.

Another strength could be that it collects qualitative data. then go on to say advantages of that but applied to reicher and haslam
    Hi, thanks for replying I managed to find a worksheet with strengths and weaknesses online.

They are:

Strengths:

As the study was conducted in a simulated prison created at Elstree Studios in London where deliberate interventions were introduced at specific points in the study to observe their effects, it can be considered a laboratory experiment. Additionally, as only one small group of individuals (15 in total) was involved, it can also be seen as a case study.

A strength of this study as a laboratory experiment is that Reicher and Haslam were able to manipulate three specific independent variables (permeability of roles, legitimacy of roles and cognitive alternatives) at predetermined points during the course of the study. This allowed them to infer cause and effect in respect of factors that may lead to tyrannical behaviour.

Another strength of this study as a case study is that as only 15 individuals were involved a tremendous amount of both quantitative (psychometric and physiological tests) and qualitative (observations) data was gathered on each participants

Weaknesses:

A weakness of a laboratory experiment is that it automatically infers low ecological validity. Although a simulated prison environment was created, participants knew they were taking part in a study that was being filmed by the BBC. Such factors may have influenced them to behave in unnatural ways.

Another weakness of this study however is that it is hard to generalise the behaviour of 15 men to whole prison populations where individual characteristics, group dynamics etc may be very different.

Ethics?

The proposed study was passed by both the University of Exeter’s ethics panel and the BPS Ethics Committee. In addition other safeguards were built into the study (e.g. participants signed a comprehensive consent form; a paramedic was on constant standby in case of injury or illness). Even so some participants showed signs of distress during the study (e.g. the prisoner not selected to be a guard, the guards who were uncomfortable with their authoritarian role).

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many changes is everyone learning for each study?

Also how many strengthes and weaknesses?

I'm so tempted not to revise Reicher and Haslam! I think i'm just going to learn a few point. It f Sperry and Reicher and Haslam come up in the exam i'm going to cry. Hopefully we get a nice one. The last paper studies were't very nice i thought.

ReputationRep:
    For the section B, how much are you meant to write for the question 'suggest how the procedure in Baron Cohen could be improved?'(8) and for the question f) outline the implications of the procedural changes you have suggested in Baron Cohen (8)?
    Can someone write a sample answer please?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qs2xo)

I thought its not longitudinal as it was only conducted over 8 days?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what the 4 mark question will be like on section C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkhan9035)
    Hi, thanks for replying I managed to find a worksheet with strengths and weaknesses online.

They are:

Strengths:

As the study was conducted in a simulated prison created at Elstree Studios in London where deliberate interventions were introduced at specific points in the study to observe their effects, it can be considered a laboratory experiment. Additionally, as only one small group of individuals (15 in total) was involved, it can also be seen as a case study.

A strength of this study as a laboratory experiment is that Reicher and Haslam were able to manipulate three specific independent variables (permeability of roles, legitimacy of roles and cognitive alternatives) at predetermined points during the course of the study. This allowed them to infer cause and effect in respect of factors that may lead to tyrannical behaviour.

Another strength of this study as a case study is that as only 15 individuals were involved a tremendous amount of both quantitative (psychometric and physiological tests) and qualitative (observations) data was gathered on each participants

Weaknesses:

A weakness of a laboratory experiment is that it automatically infers low ecological validity. Although a simulated prison environment was created, participants knew they were taking part in a study that was being filmed by the BBC. Such factors may have influenced them to behave in unnatural ways.

Another weakness of this study however is that it is hard to generalise the behaviour of 15 men to whole prison populations where individual characteristics, group dynamics etc may be very different.

Ethics?

The proposed study was passed by both the University of Exeter’s ethics panel and the BPS Ethics Committee. In addition other safeguards were built into the study (e.g. participants signed a comprehensive consent form; a paramedic was on constant standby in case of injury or illness). Even so some participants showed signs of distress during the study (e.g. the prisoner not selected to be a guard, the guards who were uncomfortable with their authoritarian role).

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    id also say a main strength is that it collects both quantitative and qualitative data. e.g. the daily psychometric tests would give quantitative, where as the continuous recordings of behaviour gives qualitative

ReputationRep:
    Predictions on section C? Hope its not developmental

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie.irwin27)
    for those struggling to understand Reicher and Haslam, here's a table i found on the official bbc prison study website. It's a time line of events.

i always found short videos on this website helpful in visualizing how the study actually happened. feel better about this study now!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DEb96)
    Can someone please confirm the studies that relate to the Behaviourist perspective? Thanks
    Behaviourist are:
    Reicher & Haslam- Tyranny- negative reinforcement (operant conditioning)
    Milgram- Obedience- negative reinforcement (operant conditioning)
    Griffiths- Gambling- Positive reinforcement (operant conditioning)
    Freud- Phobias- assosciation (classical conditioning)
    Piliavin- Helping behaviour- negative & positive reinforcement (operant conditioning)

ReputationRep:
    How much are we meant to write for improvements to a study in section B? I'm really confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stephanie12345)
    How much are we meant to write for improvements to a study in section B? I'm really confused
    minimum of 2 improvements as long as you can explain it in detail

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Also, for the implications for the procedural changes, is that basically strengths and weakness of the changes we stated?

ReputationRep:
    Hi can someone give me two distinct advantages of the physiological approach (including examples) please

ReputationRep:
    One advantage is that it is scientific measures therefore it is reliable. For example, dement and kleitman measured the brains electrical activity.Another advantage is that it is a lab exp therefore it is high in controls and is replicable. For example dement and kleitman took place in a laboratory where the participants were asked to sleep at.

ReputationRep:
    One advantage is that it is scientific measures therefore it is reliable. For example, dement and kleitman measured the brains electrical activity.Another advantage is that it is a lab exp therefore it is high in controls and is replicable. For example dement and kleitman took place in a laboratory where the participants were asked to sleep at.
    Thanks Ive got that do you know another one?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Also, for the implications for the procedural changes, is that basically strengths and weakness of the changes we stated?
    Yeah for example is it generalisable etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random1234567)
    Yeah for example is it generalisable etc
    Thanks! Would I also need to write a disadvantage of an improvement I state?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random1234567)
    Thanks Ive got that do you know another one?
    This is my other strength of the phsyiological approach that is one of my model answers,

The findings from physiological research can be very useful to society. They can help us understand how changes in our biology can affect aspects of our own behaviour. Therefore the findings from any physiological research can be used in the medical world to understand illness and injury to the brain.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.