The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

What are the perspectives?

Behaviorist
Psysiological
???

ALSO what approachs does everyone think will come up?
Reply 601
Original post by beckysoya
what is the simarlities of the psysiological approach?

The similarities that i have are...
Both maguire and Sperry were quasi experiments, sperrys participants were either split brain or normal brain and maguires participants were either taxi drivers or not. Neither of which you can directly manipulate.
Another similarity is that both maguire and dement and kleitman used objective scientific methods to obtain data. Dement and Kleitman used the EEG and EOG to measure eye movement and brain activity, and Maguire used an MRI scanner which they analysed the scans using pixel counting and VBM.
Reply 602
Original post by Simran Mars Foster
What are the perspectives?

Behaviorist
Psysiological
???

ALSO what approachs does everyone think will come up?

There are two perspective as far as i know, or at least that what i have been taught, they are...
-Psychodynamic (freud)
-Behaviourist (Bandura- social learning theory)

and then there is the five approaches

Im not 100% sure on approaches but im learnng 4 of them in depth and the chances of probability are that they will come up, Im hoping for physiological though :smile:
Thank you! Have you seen the january 2013 paper out of interest? If so how did you find the paper in terms of difficulty?
In Section C, how do you answer the question on similarity and difference?
For example my difference in the social approach is that piliavins study is higher in ecological validity than milgrams. Then I'm gonna say why (one is real life environment and the other took place in a lab), but what else do they expect u to add to that?
Original post by lorobolorolo
For example my difference in the social approach is that piliavins study is higher in ecological validity than milgrams. Then I'm gonna say why (one is real life environment and the other took place in a lab), but what else do they expect u to add to that?

Point
Evidence
Evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 606
Original post by lorobolorolo

That is literally it... its ridiculously easy when you think... most people over complicate it...

Just say your point so...
One difference is that Pilliavins study is High in ecological validity and Milgrams study is low in ecological validity. (state the actual studys like that or it can be a bit wish washy)

Then state your reasoning behind the evidence...

This is because Pilliavin conducted a covert observation in a natural setting where the participants were unaware of the study believed they were on a normal subway journey to there destination. This meant that it was more true to real life.

Then state the evidence for the other study

However Milgram conducted his experiment in a laboratory at the prestigous university of yale, the task that the participant was expected to carry out was not a normal eveyday task. So therefore had low ecological validity.

Its the same for the similaritys
State the similarity For example both milgram and pilivin compromised ethical guidelines
(then state the blindingly obvious)
Milgram when asking the participants to administer shocks put them under psychological distress, shown by there nervousness and tensions which was evident when the participants were sweating/ trembling and stuttering.
Pilliavin was unable to gain informed consent and may have caused some psychological damage as they were unable to debrief them and witnessing someone pass out/ fall can be a traumatic experience.
Anyone got predictions for section C?
what changes could be made to Savage-Rumbaugh?
i'm confused. does the biological approach support nature or nurture?

because biological relates to genes etc which can relate to nature
however, the studies support the nurture side? for example maguire showed how brain structure can change in response to environmental demand..
Original post by jodie.irwin27
what changes could be made to Savage-Rumbaugh?

Use a wider range of chimps
Original post by Pillow95
That is literally it... its ridiculously easy when you think... most people over complicate it...

Just say your point so...
One difference is that Pilliavins study is High in ecological validity and Milgrams study is low in ecological validity. (state the actual studys like that or it can be a bit wish washy)

Then state your reasoning behind the evidence...

This is because Pilliavin conducted a covert observation in a natural setting where the participants were unaware of the study believed they were on a normal subway journey to there destination. This meant that it was more true to real life.

Then state the evidence for the other study

However Milgram conducted his experiment in a laboratory at the prestigous university of yale, the task that the participant was expected to carry out was not a normal eveyday task. So therefore had low ecological validity.

Its the same for the similaritys
State the similarity For example both milgram and pilivin compromised ethical guidelines
(then state the blindingly obvious)
Milgram when asking the participants to administer shocks put them under psychological distress, shown by there nervousness and tensions which was evident when the participants were sweating/ trembling and stuttering.
Pilliavin was unable to gain informed consent and may have caused some psychological damage as they were unable to debrief them and witnessing someone pass out/ fall can be a traumatic experience.

Thanks for the detailed answer I appreciate it a lot:clap2::clap2:
Why is Baron-Cohen's study a snapshot study?
Would Loftus and Palmar have two aims? I if so how would you word the aim for the second experiment?
Would Loftus and Palmar have two aims? I if so how would you word the aim for the second experiment?

Hmm I think they will just say identify one of the aims of Loftus and Palmer
However, the aim could be to further investigate the effects of leading questions on memory
Reply 615
Original post by random1234567
I thought its not longitudinal as it was only conducted over 8 days?

A longitudinal study doesn't have to be more than a year, its longitudinal if it allows us to see a change in behaviour and in this study it allowed us to see the effects of tyranny and social identity between guards and prisoners

Posted from TSR Mobile

experiment 1 aim: too see the effect that leading questions have on participants estimated speed of cars from multiple car accident videos

experiment 2 aim: to see if leading questions create a response-bias or if they actually alter a person's memory representation of an event

the overall aim of the experiment would just be a combination of the 2 :smile:
Reply 617
can anyone summarise the background for savage and rumbaugh for me? Or Even the whole study :frown: I Don't get that study ! Anyone... How likely do you think this study is gonna come up in section b? :/
(edited 10 years ago)
^^ Thank you> Would anyone happen to have a checklist for section B for things to know?

:colondollar:
Original post by mkhan9035
A longitudinal study doesn't have to be more than a year, its longitudinal if it allows us to see a change in behaviour and in this study it allowed us to see the effects of tyranny and social identity between guards and prisoners

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending