Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolalala)
    could someone explain for 4marks how the physiological approach could explain dreaming please?
    There are different stages of sleep: stages 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and REM sleep. Dreaming is said to occur in REM sleep. This is supported by the fact that Dement and Kleitman showed that participants recalled more dreams in REM sleep rather than in NREM sleep. Also, a characteristic of REM sleep is darting eye movements. Dement and Kleitman showed that these eye movements related to dream content: for example horizontal eye movement related to a dream of watching 2 people throw tomatoes at each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkhan9035)
    Just want to wish everyone the very best of luck with this exam tomorrow! You'll all do well, so don't strain yourself with too much revision! Remember its 85 for an A and you can pick them up from every section, so stay calm and read the question carefully and CONTEXTUALISE! I can't stress this enough! Half of the marks are lost as people don't contextualise :P Wish me luck too (hopefully 2nd time lucky)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks man, same to you, I'm retaking this module to, I'm an A2 student!

ReputationRep:
    could someone explain for 4marks how the physiological approach could explain dreaming please????
    The Physiological approach could help explain dreaming through research such as that of Dement and Kleitman. In this study 9 participants were used 7 of whom were males and 2 females the researchers demonstrated the stages of sleep of their participants and the characteristics of REM sleep. For dreams to occur, this approach suggests that a person has to be in stage 1/Rem and this will last approximately 20 minutes every 90 minutes cycle. By asking the P's to come and sleep in the lab at their normal bedtime approx 80% of the P's were able to recall their dream when awoken in REM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    (FOR)
    The main assumption of the physiological approach is that all behaviour and experience can be explained by physiological changes. The approach investigates the brain, the nervous system and other biological factors such as hormones so you could say that dreaming in terms of this approach is caused by how we behave and you could also say that experience can structure our dreams.

(AGAINST)
    Erm well you could say that other psychologists take the view that we cannot explain complex human behaviour such as dreaming just in terms of brain structure and chemicals, other extraneous variables could contribute to why and what people dream such as their lifestyles etc..
    ahh Thank you so much !

ReputationRep:
    Just want to wish everyone the very best of luck with this exam tomorrow! You'll all do well, so don't strain yourself with too much revision! Remember its 85 for an A and you can pick them up from every section, so stay calm and read the question carefully and CONTEXTUALISE! I can't stress this enough! Half of the marks are lost as people don't contextualise :P Wish me luck too (hopefully 2nd time lucky)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    haha doubly good luck to all of those who are resitting!! and good luck for all of those who are doing it for the first time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lankan-gurl)
    The Physiological approach could help explain dreaming through research such as that of Dement and Kleitman. In this study 9 participants were used 7 of whom were males and 2 females the researchers demonstrated the stages of sleep of their participants and the characteristics of REM sleep. For dreams to occur, this approach suggests that a person has to be in stage 1/Rem and this will last approximately 20 minutes every 90 minutes cycle. By asking the P's to come and sleep in the lab at their normal bedtime approx 80% of the P's were able to recall their dream when awoken in REM.
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qs2xo)
    psychometric tests are basically standardised procedures that measure memory, intelligence and personality etc.

examples of this are the IQ tests and memory tests in Thigpen and Cleckey and daily psychometric tests used in reicher and haslam to test the participants social variables (racism, authoritarianism) and clinical variables (depression, anxiety etc)
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lankan-gurl)
    Thankyouuu so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skilled)
    Thanks man, same to you, I'm retaking this module to, I'm an A2 student!
    Yeah me too, good luck! Lets smash it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random1234567)
    Hi what studies are related to the psychodynamic perspective?
    Freud, Thigpen & Cleckley and I think Rosenhan probably is too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie.irwin27)
    There are different stages of sleep: stages 1 and 2, 3 and 4, and REM sleep. Dreaming is said to occur in REM sleep. This is supported by the fact that Dement and Kleitman showed that participants recalled more dreams in REM sleep rather than in NREM sleep. Also, a characteristic of REM sleep is darting eye movements. Dement and Kleitman showed that these eye movements related to dream content: for example horizontal eye movement related to a dream of watching 2 people throw tomatoes at each other.
    Thankyouuu so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lyrical Prodigy)
    Aww, this is your 2nd time? Well I wish you the very best of luck.. I hope you get the grade you want
    Yeah lol got a D first time so really want an A cause I got an A on Psych Investigations and a B on the A2 options paper! Need an A in this and an A in the 2nd A2 paper to get an A overall *fingers crossed* good luck to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thankyouuu so much!
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jodie.irwin27)
    haha doubly good luck to all of those who are resitting!! and good luck for all of those who are doing it for the first time!
    You too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Username<)
    Anyone? Psycodynamic and helping behaviour (Piliavin)?
    Piliavin isn't a psychodynamic study it's a behaviourist study. All of the social approach studies (piliavin, reicher and haslam and milgram) are behaviourist as well as savage rumbaugh, bandura and griffiths.

Thigpen and Cleckley, Freud and possibly rosenhan are psychodynamic
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >Username<)
    Anyone? Psycodynamic and helping behaviour (Piliavin)?
    Oh that's a good combination, the psychodynamic perspective believes that all behaviour derives from inner conflicts of the mind so you could say in Piliavin when the victim is on the floor, people are in a conflict with themselves on whether to help the victim or just to walk by. Also in Piliavin there is the 'Cost of helping', 'Cost of not helping', 'Rewards of helping' and 'Rewards if not helping'- ie the Cost-Reward Model. In terms of the psychodynamic approach you could say that the cost-reward model intertwines with the psychodynamic idea of ID, EGO and SUPEREGO the three parts of our mind that are always in conflict and tries to balance our conscience.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lol got a D first time so really want an A cause I got an A on Psych Investigations and a B on the A2 options paper! Need an A in this and an A in the 2nd A2 paper to get an A overall *fingers crossed* good luck to you too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey you got any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qs2xo)
    Hans desire to take his mother away from his father is a feature of the oedipus complex. Because of this he fears that his father will find out and castrate him (castration anxiety)

Freud suggested that the fear of white horses was symbolic for his fear of his father. The white horses black mouth and blinkers symbolised Hans fathers glasses and moustache. Hans also feared that the white horse would bite him and this was associated with Hans fear of his father castrating him for wanting to sexually possess his mother.
    Thank you soooooo much I see now! Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    could someone briefly describe the procedure for Dement and kleitman please?? what I have is too long :/ and the research method was self report right??

ReputationRep:
    Which studies are people predicting have a good chance of coming up for section B?

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.