The Student Room Group

OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mkhan9035
What did everyone put about Maguire's correlational strengths and weaknesses?

strength - allowed Maguire to see the strength of relationship between navigational experience and hippocampi volume and structure. this provided a good insight into how brain structure can change with increased environmental demand.

weakness - cannot conclude that the navigational experience is the only variable affecting the brain structure - there may be other confouding variables. therefore cause and effect cannot be established
Reply 1601
People who chose the Individual differences approach, what did you guys put the strengths and weaknesses? (in brief) not to sure if i wrote the right stuff
Reply 1602
Guys, listen. Even with the highest grade boundaries in 2009, if you dropped 48 marks. You would still get a C. Don't stress yourself out people.
Reply 1603
what did everyone right for section b the ecological validity question and the outlining of results.
Reply 1604
Original post by Dank108
People who chose the Individual differences approach, what did you guys put the strengths and weaknesses? (in brief) not to sure if i wrote the right stuff

For strengths i put that you gain lots of qualitative data and helps to understand what causes behaviours that deviate from the norm. And for weaknesses i put non generalisable samples and ethical problems
Reply 1605
What did people put for the similarities and differences of studies that use the individual approach?
Thoughts about the exam:

It was horrible. From start to finish it was the worst paper I've done. Probably in my life. I don't understand how everyone on here was saying it was okay and some even saying it was easy. Even people college said it was easy. It was by no means easy in the slightest.

I feel do feel screwed beyond belief. I didn't even revise Physiological at all. I revised Behaviourist and Psychodynamic. So that was just a complete disaster. I was making things up as I went along. Section B was tough. The materials question threw me completely, I sat there for ages trying to do it. I had no idea what to put. Same for the ecological validity. Section A was completely rushed.

I honestly can't believe that some people found that was okay or even easy. I really don't understand. It was the worst exam.

Getting an A was always a long short. A B looked more promising, now I'm lucky is I get a C. I was dropping marks left right and centre. It was absolutely horrible. I may as well not have revised how I felt in the exam.

Is there anyone who felt the same?

:frown:
Original post by richarddawkins
awh crap i dont know how this works. my teacher didnt bother teaching us about section C and im literally learning it now. guess thats what happens when you go from one of the top 5 private schools to a state school and you're unaware that this stuff actually happens.

thank you!!

Do you realise how dis-respectable this is? I'm surprised someone even helped you tbh. This is what happens when you go from a private school to a state school? Really, is that what happens? So you thought you'd come on here and ask for advice from people who most likely to go state schools.

Just because you're teacher isn't that good that doesn't mean all state schools are like this. I admit my Psychology teacher isn't the best but that doesn't mean my other teachers aren't. What an absolute ignorant thing to say.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jodie.irwin27
IQ test showed EW had a score of 110 whereas EB had 110.
EEG scans showed that EW had a normal pattern of brain activity, whereas EB had a faster, more desynchronised pattern which is associated with psychiatric disorders :confused:

Eve Black had IQ of 104? That's what I put and the wechsler memory test said Eve White had a superior memory whereas EB had inferior?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1609
Original post by amylaauren
Eve Black had IQ of 104? That's what I put and the wechsler memory test said Eve White had a superior memory whereas EB had inferior?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote the same thing as you. I said the IQ test found that Eve white had an IQ of 110 compared to Eve Black who had an IQ of 104. I also said that the memory test found that Eve White had a more superior memory function that Eve Black
Original post by >Username<
Thoughts about the exam:

It was horrible. From start to finish it was the worst paper I've done. Probably in my life. I don't understand how everyone on here was saying it was okay and some even saying it was easy. Even people college said it was easy. It was by no means easy in the slightest.

I feel do feel screwed beyond belief. I didn't even revise Physiological at all. I revised Behaviourist and Psychodynamic. So that was just a complete disaster. I was making things up as I went along. Section B was tough. The materials question threw me completely, I sat there for ages trying to do it. I had no idea what to put. Same for the ecological validity. Section A was completely rushed.

I honestly can't believe that some people found that was okay or even easy. I really don't understand. It was the worst exam.

Getting an A was always a long short. A B looked more promising, now I'm lucky is I get a C. I was dropping marks left right and centre. It was absolutely horrible. I may as well not have revised how I felt in the exam.

Is there anyone who felt the same?

I know what you mean. I revised so hard but I just don't feel like it payed off at all. I don't think it went awful but in no way did I find that exam easy. Section B I thought was incredibly tough! And some of the questions in section A threw me off the edge a bit. Especially the Dement one with the table. Gah I wish I could resit it like now it's been on my mind since I left the examination hall
Original post by claudiajones
[QUOTE=>Username

I know what you mean. I revised so hard but I just don't feel like it payed off at all. I don't think it went awful but in no way did I find that exam easy. Section B I thought was incredibly tough! And some of the questions in section A threw me off the edge a bit. Especially the Dement one with the table. Gah I wish I could resit it like now it's been on my mind since I left the examination hall :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I revised soo much. It definitely hasn't paid off. In section A my mind was just rushing so much I wasn't even thinking properly. And lol, I've been thinking about resitting as well... It was so tough. :frown: Did you revise Physiological?
Reply 1612
Original post by jodie.irwin27
strength - allowed Maguire to see the strength of relationship between navigational experience and hippocampi volume and structure. this provided a good insight into how brain structure can change with increased environmental demand.

weakness - cannot conclude that the navigational experience is the only variable affecting the brain structure - there may be other confouding variables. therefore cause and effect cannot be established

Yeah i said something along those lines i think :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="&gt;Username&lt;;42995001"]
Original post by claudiajones

Yeah, I revised soo much. It definitely hasn't paid off. In section A my mind was just rushing so much I wasn't even thinking properly. And lol, I've been thinking about resitting as well... It was so tough. :frown: Did you revise Physiological?

Funnily enough I spent all last night and this morning revising Physiological then when I got into the exam my mind was completely blank. So I chose Loftus and Palmer for Section B and Individual Differences for Section C. I was really determined to do Sperry if it came up before the exam and I was ready to tackle the Physiological approach then blah. It all seemed wasted and I didn't feel like I knew anything. So gutted :frown:
Reply 1614
oh man i was so so so scared before the exam but personally i thought it went really well. SO happy baron cohen and physiological came up!!! I think i've made a few mistakes on section A because i can't stand savage rumbaugh and for Bandura (can't remember the question) i found it a bit of a weird one for some reason but apart from that i was very happy. Section B was actually to me one of the nicer aspects because there wasn't a conclusion question, the first two were very straightforward and the materials one was better than "outline the procedure" so yeah. Just hope results go well !!
[QUOTE="claudiajones;42995071"]

Funnily enough I spent all last night and this morning revising Physiological then when I got into the exam my mind was completely blank. So I chose Loftus and Palmer for Section B and Individual Differences for Section C. I was really determined to do Sperry if it came up before the exam and I was ready to tackle the Physiological approach then blah. It all seemed wasted and I didn't feel like I knew anything. So gutted :frown:

Yeah, I felt like I didn't know anything either. It was such a disaster. I feel gutted as well. :frown:
Reply 1616
To everyone worrying about what they put DON'T!!! I know thats the stupidest advice because these exams mean a lot, but honestly you truly will not know until August. The stress and panic in exams makes us think worst than we actually did and you'll find that the answers you gave were actually very good. Talking about it and going over does help, but try to give yourself a break and don't compare answers. The great thing about core studies is that they accept "any other suitable answer" and so what you think is awful and stupid, may actually be a valid point. Essentially you really can't do anything about it now. I found psych investigations terrible and wasted about a week being really upset about it, but then you realise that August will show how well or how not so well we didn't do. Any time between then and now is just a guessing game so please don't worry over the exam today. Think of the times you've stressed over and exam and been so stressed knowing you did awful, but on results day, you did brilliant. If results day isn't what you expect and is truly terrible (mine may be) then we have so many options from then on. Remarks, retakes, take a gap year, take another AS next year to boost grades etc... just don't panic tonight. Forget about the exam :smile:
Original post by amylaauren

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg that's what i meant.. didn't mean to repeat it twice!
Original post by ttreb
To everyone worrying about what they put DON'T!!! I know thats the stupidest advice because these exams mean a lot, but honestly you truly will not know until August. The stress and panic in exams makes us think worst than we actually did and you'll find that the answers you gave were actually very good. Talking about it and going over does help, but try to give yourself a break and don't compare answers. The great thing about core studies is that they accept "any other suitable answer" and so what you think is awful and stupid, may actually be a valid point. Essentially you really can't do anything about it now. I found psych investigations terrible and wasted about a week being really upset about it, but then you realise that August will show how well or how not so well we didn't do. Any time between then and now is just a guessing game so please don't worry over the exam today. Think of the times you've stressed over and exam and been so stressed knowing you did awful, but on results day, you did brilliant. If results day isn't what you expect and is truly terrible (mine may be) then we have so many options from then on. Remarks, retakes, take a gap year, take another AS next year to boost grades etc... just don't panic tonight. Forget about the exam :smile:

love this so much haha. i've been feeling terrible watching people comparing their answers then worrying cause i didn't put what they did haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1619
Thoughts about the exam:

I didn't even revise Physiological at all. I revised Behaviourist and Psychodynamic.

Perhaps if you had revised properly you would have found it easy as well?

Quick Reply

Latest