OCR AS Psychology: G542: Core Studies - Wednesday 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1680
Original post by qs2xo
i know right! im hoping i can get close to that *fingers crossed*

Me too :smile: Here's hoping!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, whats a2 psychology like?
I will be doing Forensic psychology and Psychology of education for options + research methods
Reply 1682
Original post by random1234567
I will be doing Forensic psychology and Psychology of education for options + research methods

A2 Psychology is a bit more intense! There's approximately 72 cases to remember (which does seem like a lot) but the exam format shouldn't put you off, see like any OCR exam, they follow a pattern and the key success to this exam is to cross out any questions they've already asked (and there's a lot as this exam was introduced in Jan 2010) and revise the topic they've not asked! You need to work on the evaluation (Part b question) as that's worth 15 marks, and you answer a total of 4 questions (each 25 marks each - part a is 10 marks and is usually "describe the study...") so its worth doing! My college did Forensic and Health/Clinical but either way, its still the same format

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only do forensic of those two, but I'll say that it's very, very interesting! Lots more studies (no, I mean it!) but you have to learn them in less detail, so it's not so bad. There's a lot more emphasis on evaluations and issues, and the biggest downside is that the exam itself is horrible as far as timing goes. Sometimes it can feel like a bit of an information overload, but I have enjoyed it a lot.
Original post by mkhan9035
A2 Psychology is a bit more intense! There's approximately 72 cases to remember (which does seem like a lot) but the exam format shouldn't put you off, see like any OCR exam, they follow a pattern and the key success to this exam is to cross out any questions they've already asked (and there's a lot as this exam was introduced in Jan 2010) and revise the topic they've not asked! You need to work on the evaluation (Part b question) as that's worth 15 marks, and you answer a total of 4 questions (each 25 marks each - part a is 10 marks and is usually "describe the study...") so its worth doing! My college did Forensic and Health/Clinical but either way, its still the same format

Posted from TSR Mobile

i apologize in advance if i ask you for any help or resources for next year!! :colondollar:
Reply 1685
Original post by jodie.irwin27
i apologize in advance if i ask you for any help or resources for next year!! :colondollar:

Haha it's fine! I'll only have them for Forensic and Health/Clinical Psychology! I was happy to get a B on that exam, so close to an A though :/ 3 away :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok thanks! would you recommend any good revision guides?
Original post by clonedmemories
I only do forensic of those two, but I'll say that it's very, very interesting! Lots more studies (no, I mean it!) but you have to learn them in less detail, so it's not so bad. There's a lot more emphasis on evaluations and issues, and the biggest downside is that the exam itself is horrible as far as timing goes. Sometimes it can feel like a bit of an information overload, but I have enjoyed it a lot.

thanks :smile: would you recommend any good revision guides?
Haha it's fine! I'll only have them for Forensic and Health/Clinical Psychology! I was happy to get a B on that exam, so close to an A though :/ 3 away :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah those two are what i'll be doing :smile: and that's really good, gutted though! i looked at what the papers are like and wow.. gonna have to improve my essay writing skills!

I have the general CGP one, but not all the studies are relevant. I can't say I know of any for OCR in particular, especially as different schools can teach completely different case studies!
Reply 1690
Original post by jodie.irwin27
yeah those two are what i'll be doing :smile: and that's really good, gutted though! i looked at what the papers are like and wow.. gonna have to improve my essay writing skills!

So long as your college/sixth form does the same studies it won't be a problem! I uploaded and made my own revision cards for this exam on get revising, topic by topic, only one i never got round to was disorders because i had to actually revise the stuff! So i'll post the link soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1691

I'd say revision guides are useless, you'd be better off making your own revision resources as they aren't that good
Reply 1692
I'd say revision guides are useless, you'd be better off making your own revision resources as they aren't that good

Im taking g543 on monday and ive managed to cut down to 27 studies. These are things that havent come up before and just wondering how likely is it that they will come up? Im taking a risk for this exam as i find it difficult to remember 30+ studies at a time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1693
Original post by qs2xo
Im taking g543 on monday and ive managed to cut down to 27 studies. These are things that havent come up before and just wondering how likely is it that they will come up? Im taking a risk for this exam as i find it difficult to remember 30+ studies at a time

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very likely, they don't repeat questions cause there's so many studies they've not asked

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1694
Very likely, they don't repeat questions cause there's so many studies they've not asked

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh okay, did all your predictions come up when you did the exam?
Reply 1695
Original post by qs2xo
ahh okay, did all your predictions come up when you did the exam?

Yeah all but 1, i predicted stress would come up but disorders came up (plus i hardly revised that topic so that was my fault) but yeah just revise whats not come up! I got a B on that paper and was 3 off an A :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1696
Yeah all but 1, i predicted stress would come up but disorders came up (plus i hardly revised that topic so that was my fault) but yeah just revise whats not come up! I got a B on that paper and was 3 off an A :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow thats really good! you're gonna get an A for psychology! :cool:
Reply 1697
Original post by qs2xo
wow thats really good! you're gonna get an A for psychology! :cool:

I really hope so! I wish I resat this exam and got an A* so I could have got an A* overall but oh well :P Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1698
Original post by >Username<
Fair enough. But how can you be expected to revise everything, every little detail of every little thing? Its impossible. And yes, maybe for some it is possible. But for others they struggle to memorise one detail let alone everything else. People obviously did revise. They just didn't revise that part. Why should they feel bad for not revising something? When there is so much more to memorise.

I don't think you understand this concept. Whilst you may revise something and it may stick it in your head, it doesn't stick in other people's heads. This is more of a memory problem rather than not understanding the content.

You know what. People like you really do annoy me. How can you even sit on your computer screen and write such a horrible thing? How can do you do that? People are worried about results day and here you are telling people how its their own fault. You do understand that exams are just a memory test... You cannot apply something to a question if you have not even learnt it.

Tbh, people did what they could in the given time period. And if that means missing out chunks of revision then so be it. I'm pretty sure most people didn't revise Thigpen and Cleckley in detail as it came up in January 2013.

You seem to come across as 'people who work hard get what they deserve'. This is not true. And maybe one day you realise that. Or maybe you won't. Because people like you should usually get everything they want and more.

It's not impossible to revise every single thing. The vast majority of people who get As will have revised every single thing.

I'm sitting on my computer screen because I don't have the opportunity to say it in any other way. If I did, I would. I would say it to the face of absolutely any one who complained that they hadn't revised everything and then found the paper difficult.

Yes there is limited time. But the difference between people who get good grades and the people who get average grades, is that they know there is limited time and instead of use this as an excuse for not revising properly, they plan for it. They make sure they understand the content throughout the year rather than leaving it all to the last minute to learn, and they start revising far enough ahead that there will be time to fit it all in. They don't just revise the content as it's been taught in class, they do extra work on top of that, and they do all the past papers and they plan answers.

In Section C there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to get a good mark, as the structure is exactly the same every year with the exception of what is asked on the b part question. The other questions such as improvements&implications, assumptions and strengths/weaknesses can all be planned in advanced and checked over by a teacher to make sure they are good. This is the only pattern you should rely on.

You should not rely on the other patterns, such as Thigpen and Cleckley coming up in January means it's unlikely it'll come up in June. Unlikely, but not impossible. Most people on this thread were sure one of the perspectives would come up and it looked like they would, but they didn't. OCR can give whatever questions they want, and they are likely to throw in a curve ball every so often to stop people getting too reliant on the patterns. People who get good grades know that, and revise everything anyway just in case. I'm sure a lot of people didn't revise Thigpen & Cleckley, and I'm sure they will be the people who get average marks.

To some extent I believe you get what you deserve, but I also do appreciate that there are things out side of your control that can affect how you do in exams. However, I don't believe that many of the factors being used as "outside of control" are legitimate excuses for not being prepared, eg not enough time, not a good memory, not a good teacher. You plan for limited time and start revising far enough in advance that you do have enough time, and if you have a bad teacher or bad memory you work harder to make up for that. I myself spent the 4 days running up to our psychology exam in hospital, but I will not use that as an excuse. I still managed to revise everything on the course despite being extremely ill for a good 2 weeks before the exam, because I care so much about doing well. I also expect to do well, because I worked hard. I would never, ever, ever think I could get away with not revising everything and still get top marks. If we didn't need to revise it, why would we be taught it?

At the end of the day, the people who care the most work the hardest and usually do the best. You can either use your excuses or you can get good results, you can't have both. I think many people will properly realise this on results day when they haven't done as well as they wanted to.
Original post by buzfail
It's not impossible to revise every single thing. The vast majority of people who get As will have revised every single thing.

I'm sitting on my computer screen because I don't have the opportunity to say it in any other way. If I did, I would. I would say it to the face of absolutely any one who complained that they hadn't revised everything and then found the paper difficult.

Yes there is limited time. But the difference between people who get good grades and the people who get average grades, is that they know there is limited time and instead of use this as an excuse for not revising properly, they plan for it. They make sure they understand the content throughout the year rather than leaving it all to the last minute to learn, and they start revising far enough ahead that there will be time to fit it all in. They don't just revise the content as it's been taught in class, they do extra work on top of that, and they do all the past papers and they plan answers.

In Section C there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to get a good mark, as the structure is exactly the same every year with the exception of what is asked on the b part question. The other questions such as improvements&implications, assumptions and strengths/weaknesses can all be planned in advanced and checked over by a teacher to make sure they are good. This is the only pattern you should rely on.

You should not rely on the other patterns, such as Thigpen and Cleckley coming up in January means it's unlikely it'll come up in June. Unlikely, but not impossible. Most people on this thread were sure one of the perspectives would come up and it looked like they would, but they didn't. OCR can give whatever questions they want, and they are likely to throw in a curve ball every so often to stop people getting too reliant on the patterns. People who get good grades know that, and revise everything anyway just in case. I'm sure a lot of people didn't revise Thigpen & Cleckley, and I'm sure they will be the people who get average marks.

To some extent I believe you get what you deserve, but I also do appreciate that there are things out side of your control that can affect how you do in exams. However, I don't believe that many of the factors being used as "outside of control" are legitimate excuses for not being prepared, eg not enough time, not a good memory, not a good teacher. You plan for limited time and start revising far enough in advance that you do have enough time, and if you have a bad teacher or bad memory you work harder to make up for that. I myself spent the 4 days running up to our psychology exam in hospital, but I will not use that as an excuse. I still managed to revise everything on the course despite being extremely ill for a good 2 weeks before the exam, because I care so much about doing well. I also expect to do well, because I worked hard. I would never, ever, ever think I could get away with not revising everything and still get top marks. If we didn't need to revise it, why would we be taught it?

At the end of the day, the people who care the most work the hardest and usually do the best. You can either use your excuses or you can get good results, you can't have both. I think many people will properly realise this on results day when they haven't done as well as they wanted to.

You know, everything you said... Its true. I can't really disagree with it tbh. Its more the way you said it. That is the issue.

You don't need to believe me nor does anyone else. Regardless of whether anyone does or not is irrelevant because I can't change the grade. I do work hard and I know I do. I don't leave revision to the last minute and I do plan my time wisely. It may not come across that way and may be it comes across like I am the type of person who complains but never actually does anything about it. The truth is I do work exceptionally hard but its never enough.

I think there a time and place to say these things. You have no idea who I am. I do work hard and you can think otherwise like I mentioned before but it won't change anything.

You see its people like you who makes people like me quite upset actually. You seem to be under this illusion that people like me somehow are stupid because we leave things to the last minute and don't really revise. It really does annoy me. I do work hard and I'm not excusing anything i.e a crap teacher ect.

What happens when your best isn't enough? You see not just for this subject but every exam, x person will get the grade and that's it. It's irrelevant how much work they put in, the hours they spent perfecting their answers ect. Its just that one grade that matters. It doesn't even matter if your 1 mark away from an A because in the end you got a B.

I did do extra reading. I did do a lot of answers for my teacher to mark. I did revise a lot earlier than 2 months before the exam. But at the end of the day all of this is irrelevant because it won't be taken into consideration. Its that one letter that matters, nothing else.

What is the need for you to come onto this thread and say 'maybe if you had revised properly you would have found it easier'. What is the need for that? By making that comment its just rubbing it into someone else's face that fact that they have just ****ed up an exam.

I don't see why I should feel bad when I know I have tried my best. I don't need someone like you to make such comments, well done for revising every little detail. Well done on getting an A. Well done on getting into Oxford. What do you want me to say?

I was simply saying my thoughts on the exam. I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to do this.

Maybe you in your world because do revise everything and maybe in your world people are arrogant and nasty human beings. In the real world most people don't revise everything. Even if people do revise everything and do get As they don't make such pathetic comments to other people to make them feel bad about it.

You're making an assumptions based on very little information. I know what I didn't do. But I also know what I did do. I did a lot of revision. But somehow its never enough to compete with people like you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending