Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    OCR is like the worst exam board ever. I wish we were on AQA.

ReputationRep:
    We've not revised any approaches apart from behaviourism?! I've done essays on validity, ethnocentrism, nature v nurture, psychology as a science and determinism but I'm not sure if any of these will come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revise7869)
    Which approach does griffiths belong to?
    Individual differences and cognitive.

ReputationRep:
    I need help with Section A

I know this is probably the most simplest part of section A, but I'm really getting confused on writing the hypothesis/aim/question.

I know for experiments, you write about cause and effect, but can you also mention difference? So for example, the effect of music on memory recall, can you say "there will be a difference between the results of those who complete the memory recall test with music and without music"?

And for Observation???? I actually have no idea.

Correlation is the relationship. So I can just say significant/positive/negative/none, right?

Self-report is a question, but this can catch me out, because it literally is just writing a simple question but I think I have to mention a lot of detail, for example to get 3 marks all you would need to do is "Do students feel anxious about exams?" or something like that??

Argh, I'm worried, someone help please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revise7869)
    Which approach does griffiths belong to?
    Individual Differences

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Likelihood of Correlation coming up in Section A ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lankan-gurl)
    Likelihood of Correlation coming up in Section A ?
    Hopefully close to a probability of 0, hate it!! Does anyone know the last time a correlation came up? And what's likely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelbel1)
    Hopefully close to a probability of 0, hate it!! Does anyone know the last time a correlation came up? And what's likely?
    Correlation was on Jan 2012. I am revising for self report, independent and repeated measure design. I am taking the risk of not revising observation as it was on Jan 2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kelbel1)
    I hope it doesn't come up either. It last came up in January of last year. Observation was used this year so hopefully we might get a experiment or self-report

ReputationRep:
    Why am I taking psychology?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smallfish008)
    Why am I taking psychology?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bit late to ask that question if its the last exam lol

ReputationRep:
    Please, OCR, please give us a simple exam. *fingers crossed*. Tbh, I hope they repeat stuff from the past papers because then we will have some idea as to how to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone post a list of studies that can be used for each approach/perspective, especially a2 studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrydieAdams)
    I'm using Farrington and Wikstrom and Tafel
    For the social approach can't you use Waxler-Morrison et al's study into social support? (The women with breast cancer one)

ReputationRep:
    What's a research question instead of hypothesis? How would you write a research question for self report?

ReputationRep:
    could someone explain classical and operant conditioning when applied to the behaviourist perspective please? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nse)
    For the social approach can't you use Waxler-Morrison et al's study into social support? (The women with breast cancer one)
    I think you can indeed use Waxler-Morrisson in term of the women involved are influenced by people (society) in and around to overcome stress of having breast cancer ? correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    What AS studies are behaviourist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peebs123)
    could someone explain classical and operant conditioning when applied to the behaviourist perspective please? thanks
    Classical conditioning is when humans or animals learn by association e.g. we sound of drill with the dentist we associate it with fear.
    I think operent condition is when you learn with positive and negative reinforcement e.g. if behaviour gives you positive outcome you are most likely to repeat the behaviour once more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nasheboy)
    I think you can indeed use Waxler-Morrisson in term of the women involved are influenced by people (society) in and around to overcome stress of having breast cancer ? correct me if I'm wrong.
    Thanks! Yes I would be saying that the results almost speak for themselves.. as the results showed those with an increased social network (strength and amount of social support) showed an increased survival rate. Therefore this confirms the social approach surely? The study was also prospective so that makes the argument stronger. Please tell me if this is a load of rubbish somebody?!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.