Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaHiNa)
    Can anyone help please. For section A i did an experimental design which did use a questionnaire to collect data and I did mention a self selecting sample but have I made a really big mistake by doing this experimental design?? Or are we able to do an experimental design as long as a questionnaire is in there
    Im confused so you did two in one? - i guess as long as you used a questionnaire you will fine. I think ocr put self selected sample to confuse ppl, they had me for a minute then ended up find my way around it, i think..

ReputationRep:
    hey, i did this paper this morning, didn't think it was too bad.. could have been worse! but i really messed up on the procedure, i did a opportunity sample because i didnt read the bit about self-selecting does anyone know how many marks I'll lose for this? :s

ReputationRep:
    A self-selecting sample is a volunteer sample isn't it? Cause I said i'd use an advert to recruit my participants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revise7869)
    Im confused so you did two in one? - i guess as long as you used a questionnaire you will fine. I think ocr put self selected sample to confuse ppl, they had me for a minute then ended up find my way around it, i think..
    Yeh I'm confused myself over what I did lol. I kind of just made my own experiment up but used the options they gave me (option d about attitudes to stress). I think i got confused and thought a questionnaire has to be used as a means of collecting data in an experiment rather than using a questionnaire alone. I just hope this mistake doesn't cost me too many marks but I have a feeling it will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah_louise_)
    hey, i did this paper this morning, didn't think it was too bad.. could have been worse! but i really messed up on the procedure, i did a opportunity sample because i didnt read the bit about self-selecting does anyone know how many marks I'll lose for this? :s
    I guess it depends how your write up is, and i'd say maybe 2 or 3 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah_louise_)
    I did this in my mock, my teacher told me it would have been a good answer if I had used a different sample and gave me 4 marks out of 19. My teacher was probably being really harsh and I think you'd get 14 /19 depending on how the rest of the answer went.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mkhan9035)
    A self-selecting sample is a volunteer sample isn't it? Cause I said i'd use an advert to recruit my participants
    yep it is. I think you might be overthinking your answers and questioning them all, don't worry I'm sure you did well

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys put down for the reliability question, how would you assess reliability for your study? I didn't like it and my mind went blank I also didn't have time to do 8.e ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RaHiNa)
    yep it is. I think you might be overthinking your answers and questioning them all, don't worry I'm sure you did well
    Hmm I know, but i'm just like aahh hope I did it right :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kotherxox)
    What did you guys put down for the reliability question, how would you assess reliability for your study? I didn't like it and my mind went blank I also didn't have time to do 8.e ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I said use test-retest (as i did the attitudes to stress one) and said give the p's the questionnaire before an exam, and give it to them again a week later etc and then said something however using closed questions lack reliability as they force p's into an answer i.e by asking p's "How stressed are you? Really stressed, very stressed, a little stressed" which is unreliable as it suggests people are stressed even when they aren't

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was really unsure as well but I wrote about how using rating scales are unreliable since people have different interpretations of it so this makes the study lack reliability, then I wrote some rubbish about how closed questions can be used to compare easily...?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds about right oh well! Only time will tell :P what did you use for reliability? I said use test-retest and said something like the closed questions lack reliability as they force p's into an answer i.e by asking p's "How stressed are you? Really stressed, very stressed, a little stressed" which is unreliable as it suggests people are stressed even when they aren't

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just said demand characteristics owing to the sensitive nature of the topic and countered with my use of a large sample (I did an online survey) meaning that recurrence of results would be measured and anomalous results caused by demand characteristics would be reduced. I answered that one badly, I was still having a laugh and contemplating writing a drama essay instead at that point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linds9)
    I just said demand characteristics owing to the sensitive nature of the topic and countered with my use of a large sample (I did an online survey) meaning that recurrence of results would be measured and anomalous results caused by demand characteristics would be reduced. I answered that one badly, I was still having a laugh and contemplating writing a drama essay instead at that point...
    haha oh well no use stressing ourselves out about it lol

ReputationRep:
    Did it matter if our study had no conditions? Everyone else was talking about how they did theirs with groups of participants (male/female, age etc) whereas mine was just looking at attitudes in general. Otherwise, I didn't find it too bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eselle)
    I did this in my mock, my teacher told me it would have been a good answer if I had used a different sample and gave me 4 marks out of 19. My teacher was probably being really harsh and I think you'd get 14 /19 depending on how the rest of the answer went.
    She gave you 4 out of 19 for using the wrong sample or 14 out of 19??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wrote something about how all the instructions/questions are standardised which ensures high reliability. And then I wrote about subjectivity and how in an open question, researchers may interpret answers differently do one another :s I had less than 5 minutes to do 8e so it was very rushed and have complete aha.

ReputationRep:
    I said use test-retest (as i did the attitudes to stress one) and said give the p's the questionnaire before an exam, and give it to them again a week later etc and then said something however using closed questions lack reliability as they force p's into an answer i.e by asking p's "How stressed are you? Really stressed, very stressed, a little stressed" which is unreliable as it suggests people are stressed even when they aren't
    Dude, it said you have to ASSESS the reliability AKA If it's good or bad and why it is good or bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakez123)
    Dude, it said you have to ASSESS the reliability AKA If it's good or bad and why it is good or bad.
    Oh damn, it must have oh well never mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Too right, n/n was such a blag! It should have just been behaviourist! OCR were sneaky by tying it into nature/nurture :P and yeah part (e) was such a b*** ache i just kept saying how it was all nurture and environmental influcences using watson and raynor, mc grath and bandura as my evidence :P
    A question on this, how was N/N a blag? I read that at one point you said the 4 marker was hard or something. All you had to do was outline what it was, wasn't that hard.

Any questions about the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Let's just hope we get a decent grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakez123)
    A question on this, how was N/N a blag? I read that at one point you said the 4 marker was hard or something. All you had to do was outline what it was, wasn't that hard.

Any questions about the exam?
    Dude, calm down I only blagged it cause i didn't revise it properly idgaf

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.