The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Psychology: G544: Approaches and Research Methods - Monday 17th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by peebs123
anyone know ways to collect nominal, ordinal, interval and ratio data?? For nominal would it be yes or no q's?

Well Nominal data is Frequency/Category data (They can only be in one category or the other e.g people who smoke (10) people who don't smoke (5))

Ordinal data is data that can be put in order or 'ranked' i.e Height - Shortest to Tallest

Ratio/Interval data - Is data that can be placed into separate intervals e.g minutes, seconds etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 101
Original post by mkhan9035
Well Nominal data is Frequency/Category data (They can only be in one category or the other e.g people who smoke (10) people who don't smoke (5))

Ordinal data is data that can be put in order or 'ranked' i.e Height - Shortest to Tallest

Ratio/Interval data - Is data that can be placed into separate intervals e.g minutes, seconds etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 102
There are NO A2 studies for the psychodynamic perspective as only Thigpen and Cleckley and Freud use elements of it! And by independent measures design what do you mean? You'd never be asked 2 studies that used an independent measures design, you'd asked "describe 2 studies that used a lab experiment" or a "field experiment" or "quasi experiment" or compare the lab experiment with the self-report method etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thanks. Sorry, I meant individual differences but put independent measures, my bad :tongue:
Reply 103
Original post by Robbo639
Alright, thanks. Sorry, I meant individual differences but put independent measures, my bad :tongue:

Aha I would say A2 studies for Individual Differences could be Daly and Wilson (can't think of another one) but if you use that in conjunction with Thigpen and Cleckley, Griffiths and/or Rosenhan you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Aha I would say A2 studies for Individual Differences could be Daly and Wilson (can't think of another one) but if you use that in conjunction with Thigpen and Cleckley, Griffiths and/or Rosenhan you'll be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yochelson and Samenow could be linked in as well, because they use Freudian- based therapy to find the root cause of criminality

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
Sorry that was for psychodynamic not individual :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 106
I'm confused, why are all you guys using A2 studies? I think its pretty pointless using them cause you ARE still credited for using AS studies! I find using AS studies far easier! I'd advise you to not put yourself under stress and keep it simple

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 107
I'm not revising too many topics as I just do not have the time! I'm only revising Individual Differences, Behaviourist, Psychodynamic, Case Studies, Observations, Usefulness of Psych research, Reductionism and Determinism! That's all! If Nature vs Nurture, Ethnocentrism, Psych as a Science comes up i'm screwed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which perspective or approach is most likely to come up in this paper, or could anyone recommend what to revise more??? I haven't put any revision into this because of the options one :s-smilie:
Hello! Can anyone help a brother out! I'm really stuck with the behaviourist perspective! Could anyone give me some studies (A2 or AS) and how they link!
Thank you!:-) xx
Reply 110
How does individual differences relate to determinism?
Reply 111
Original post by kat.bridgman
Hello! Can anyone help a brother out! I'm really stuck with the behaviourist perspective! Could anyone give me some studies (A2 or AS) and how they link!
Thank you!:-) xx

BEHAVIOURIST APPROACH/PERSPECTIVE
AS Bandura, Savage-Rumbaugh
A2 Watson and Raynor Little Albert
PSYCHODYNAMIC APPROACH/PERSPECTIVE
AS Freud and little Hans, (Thigpen and Cleckley)
A2 (Yochelson & Samenow)
Original post by LaurenBlackout
wow well done for 97/100 :eek:. Have you got any general tips? Would love an A* haha :p:p

:O Hating all you people and your A* ambitions, I'm gonna struggle for A overall.

So tips:

Write....quick!!!: Of course you need thinking time, but when your not thinking about the questions make sure your writing and writing quick. If you don't make it to the last question because you've ran out of time you've already lost a decent amount of marks, so make sure it doesn't happen.

Memorize: One of the best things about this exam is that you can be to an extent prepared for the answers. Write model answers and memorize them, because chances are you won't have time to come up with one on the spot.

Know the mark scheme: OCR love their mark schemes and there is usually a structure to all questions, the most favourable is PEC (Point, Example, Comment). But also take the procedure question in Section A more than half of those marks are based on your ideas but I think about six are based on how replicable it is and how ethical, so make sure your mentioning debreifing, and that all P's are over 18.

Be prepared!: Chances are your teachers have told you approaches will come up, so just revise them because there is less to revise... well this was what I was told, and was instead faced by reliability and a debate. We've been doing OCR Psychology for nearly 2 years by now we should know how difficult they like to make their exams.

Forget about it!: As of Monday I took my G543 exam, this was my most scary exam, but fortunately my last exam. However, I've literally not stopped thinkiing about it to the point of doubting EVERYTHING I put. So when you walk out of that exam hall do everything you can to forget about it, you can no longer change anything.

Reply 113
Original post by kayleigh_jude
:O Hating all you people and your A* ambitions, I'm gonna struggle for A overall.

So tips:

Write....quick!!!: Of course you need thinking time, but when your not thinking about the questions make sure your writing and writing quick. If you don't make it to the last question because you've ran out of time you've already lost a decent amount of marks, so make sure it doesn't happen.

Memorize: One of the best things about this exam is that you can be to an extent prepared for the answers. Write model answers and memorize them, because chances are you won't have time to come up with one on the spot.

Know the mark scheme: OCR love their mark schemes and there is usually a structure to all questions, the most favourable is PEC (Point, Example, Comment). But also take the procedure question in Section A more than half of those marks are based on your ideas but I think about six are based on how replicable it is and how ethical, so make sure your mentioning debreifing, and that all P's are over 18.

Be prepared!: Chances are your teachers have told you approaches will come up, so just revise them because there is less to revise... well this was what I was told, and was instead faced by reliability and a debate. We've been doing OCR Psychology for nearly 2 years by now we should know how difficult they like to make their exams.

Forget about it!: As of Monday I took my G543 exam, this was my most scary exam, but fortunately my last exam. However, I've literally not stopped thinkiing about it to the point of doubting EVERYTHING I put. So when you walk out of that exam hall do everything you can to forget about it, you can no longer change anything.

What did you get in Psych Investigations and Core Studies? You won't have done rubbish in G543, they basically throw away marks (I should know, my teacher is one of the strictest markers ever, and if you could get an A out of her, you could get an A easily out of the examiner) so don't panic! I got an B and was only 3 of an A on that exam and "kind of" wish I resat it cause i know I could have got an A* if I revised the disorders topic properly! So don't stress, you got an A* on this exam and it will balance out! Thanks for all your help, its time you got a bit of reassurance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you get in Psych Investigations and Core Studies? You won't have done rubbish in G543, they basically throw away marks (I should know, my teacher is one of the strictest markers ever, and if you could get an A out of her, you could get an A easily out of the examiner) so don't panic! I got an B and was only 3 of an A on that exam and "kind of" wish I resat it cause i know I could have got an A* if I revised the disorders topic properly! So don't stress, you got an A* on this exam and it will balance out! Thanks for all your help, its time you got a bit of reassurance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Investigations: 44/60
Core: 107/140 (Wish I resat as I was probably was pulled down on Section C, but now I know approaches inside out so would definitely get better)
So a B for both, which is why my G543 results definitely shocked me.
Awww thanks, so sweet. I have a feeling I may just of pulled it off to get an A overall...fingers crossed.
Reply 115
Investigations: 44/60
Core: 107/140 (Wish I resat as I was probably was pulled down on Section C, but now I know approaches inside out so would definitely get better)
So a B for both, which is why my G543 results definitely shocked me.
Awww thanks, so sweet. I have a feeling I may just of pulled it off to get an A overall...fingers crossed.

Yeah you could have resat core studies, wouldn't have hurt, but never mind, I got a D on my core studies last June, and I resat it last week and *fingers crossed* I got an A on it cause I really worked for it! I got an A in Psych Investigations, a B in Options and hope for an A in Core Studies and A/A* in G544 to hopefully get me an A overall :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah you could have resat core studies, wouldn't have hurt, but never mind, I got a D on my core studies last June, and I resat it last week and *fingers crossed* I got an A on it cause I really worked for it! I got an A in Psych Investigations, a B in Options and hope for an A in Core Studies and A/A* in G544 to hopefully get me an A overall :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I may be staying on at college for an extra year, so if I don't get the A I will retake Corestudies....in June. I don't understand the changes in resits.
Reply 117
Well I may be staying on at college for an extra year, so if I don't get the A I will retake Corestudies....in June. I don't understand the changes in resits.

I just think its bs that Jan modules don't exist, but this country will do what it can to make life harder for students! And good luck, i'm sure you won't have to stay another year :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So tips:

Thank you for the advice :biggrin: Surely you're not far off an A* with nearly full UMS? :smile:

I took G544 in January too, got 63, only just scraped a C haha
Reply 119
Can anyone post a structure for all section B questions please? That would be really helpful!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending