The Student Room Group

Is m1 hard to self study (ocr)?

Will i be able to self study m1 so i take it in june this year and do well in it, so far ive taken c1 and got 95 ums (ocr)
Reply 1
I tried to study M1 for my exams in January. I thought I had done pretty well and I was confident that i would pass.
I then got my results on thursday and discovered I had not done well. In fact I got an E!

So no, i would say you wouldn't be able to study M1 on your own.

However, if you did try to teach yourself then your should try http://www.examsolutions.net/ He doesn't have many ocr results but you could study certain areas using the Edexcel papers :smile:

Hope this helps a little xo
Reply 2
I am an MEI students so it might be a little different for me but:

-If you study physics you will probably find M1 much easier (you wont necessarily know everything but you will have the right way of thinking)

I personally absolutely HATE Mechanics, I did M1 last year and I am having to do M2 this year, and mechanics is just not the one for me. Personally I think that if you are good at mechanics, and enjoy it then it is not that difficult to learn, M1 generally touches on a wide range of topics but doesn't go that much in-depth.

Despite doing Further Maths, at both AS and A2 I still find mechanics a struggle, so I suggest you are careful.

In the end no one will be able to give you a "Yes or No" answer, as it depends on you, your knowledge of the topic, your learning ability, self motivation, how much and how quickly you take things in, and also if you enjoy it.

Either way, best of luck (y)
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies, im also considering self studying d2, ive done d1 already(70ums) which i will be retaking in june
But im not sure if i shud do m1 or d2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I taught myself OCR m1 and managed to get 98. And you beat me in core 1. I think if your good at that kind of maths/physics then its quite easy, and for people that aren't its pretty hard. Im now doing physics at uni so obviously i quite like that kind of maths... Really depends on the person i think.
Reply 5
I can't see any unit being easier than m1 to self-teach tbh.
Reply 6
I self taught m1 over the summer, I didn't actually need to take an exam, but I did it because I thought I'd enjoy it.

Its not too hard, and I reckon you could probably just do a chapter a week (learn the content for the chapter on the weekend, and practice it over the rest).
Reply 7
Is it a long module? How long would it take to finish learning it if i study it on weekends for around 3/4 hours? And is there any good books that u could recommend to me to use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest