Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I am 14 next week, weigh about 45 Kilos, am 160cm and have a so called six pack i watch

ReputationRep:
    is this unhealthy at this age? I do not lift. Just play a lot of cricket.

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with that ??

ReputationRep:
    Do press-ups and stuff

ReputationRep:
    ahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    whats wrong with that ??
    some people say i weigh too less and its unhealthy to have a so called six pack at 13

ReputationRep:
    nah mate i had one at that age as i also loved cricket played for local club and played for two footie teams it goes when your older unless you either stay active like that or go gym like i do now

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get what your asking. Is weighing 7 stone at 13, and having a six pack unhealthy? Sounds more like bragging to me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    If you lifted at 14 you'd probably injure yourself

Your body isn't anywhere near developed enough for you to be building substantial muscle, that's why a lot of gyms don't allow under-16s in.
    I'd have thought it would have more to do with people not wanting a load of 'yoofs' running around the gym getting in the way and going somewhere else where kids don't go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phichi)
    I don't really get what your asking. Is weighing 7 stone at 13, and having a six pack unhealthy? Sounds more like bragging to me
    do i weigh too less? people say a 13 year old shouldnt have a six pack

ReputationRep:
    If you lifted at 14 you'd probably injure yourself

Your body isn't anywhere near developed enough for you to be building substantial muscle, that's why a lot of gyms don't allow under-16s in.
    You'd only injure yourself if your form was bad, if you make sure your form is perfect then lifting's fine and you'll get stronger, in fact IF you do it right you can build a lot of muscle during puberty with the high testosterone levels, big IF though because if you do it wrong you can potentially damage yourself and stunt growth, that's if you lift very heavy with terrible form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolfe2013)
    nah mate i had one at that age as i also loved cricket played for local club and played for two footie teams it goes when your older unless you either stay active like that or go gym like i do now

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    You'd only injure yourself if your form was bad, if you make sure your form is perfect then lifting's fine and you'll get stronger, in fact IF you do it right you can build a lot of muscle during puberty with the high testosterone levels, big IF though because if you do it wrong you can potentially damage yourself and stunt growth, that's if you lift very heavy with terrible form.
    Well I was just thinking he wouldn't be able to lift much more than the bar itself :lol:

and partially how it might impact him if he put on too much muscle and it affected his bone growth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SweatyGoals)
    some people say i weigh too less and its unhealthy to have a so called six pack at 13
    as long as you don't do weights at such a young age cause it can sometimes stunt your growth.
    but if I was still 13 (im 16 btw just in case u think im older) I would find that hot

ReputationRep:
    and partially how it might impact him if he put on too much muscle and it affected his bone growth
    How would putting on muscle affect his bones?

ReputationRep:
    It's not unhealthy, just make sure you're eating enough. At 13 that means pretty much everything in your house.

Also, stay off the weights until you are at least in year 11. If you stick with doing sport that will be enough.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. 90% of 13-14 year old males are skinny, light and weak as ****. This is because nine times out of ten you are getting to the stage where you will rapidly grow into your adult size. This takes a tremendous amount of energy. This means that you need to eat a heck of a lot and get lots of sleep and this is why so many teenagers your age follow the seafood diet (you see food, you eat it) yet are still skinny as hell.

Just keep active, eat a lot and get the sleep you need and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebMurphy)
    It's not unhealthy, just make sure you're eating enough. At 13 that means pretty much everything in your house.

Also, stay off the weights until you are at least in year 11. If you stick with doing sport that will be enough.
    THanks

(Original post by evalilyXOX)
    as long as you don't do weights at such a young age cause it can sometimes stunt your growth.
    but if I was still 13 (im 16 btw just in case u think im older) I would find that hot
    Thanks

(Original post by Mark85)
    Not at all. 90% of 13-14 year old males are skinny, light and weak as ****. This is because nine times out of ten you are getting to the stage where you will rapidly grow into your adult size. This takes a tremendous amount of energy. This means that you need to eat a heck of a lot and get lots of sleep and this is why so many teenagers your age follow the seafood diet (you see food, you eat it) yet are still skinny as hell.

Just keep active, eat a lot and get the sleep you need and you will be fine.
    Thanks

(Original post by Phichi)

lol no I'm not bragging, i was wondering if i need to bulk up, as people say 100lbs for someone who is about 160cm and nearly 14 is too light, but i have six pack, i was confused.

ReputationRep:
    clearly not a 6 pac. just cos you're skinny. its like a fat girl with big boobs, dunt count pal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamEastie)
    clearly not a 6 pac. just cos you're skinny. its like a fat girl with big boobs, dunt count pal.
    lol im not trying to show off, so I don't why you are saying " don't count" even more confused now lol, surely only skinny people like me have a six pack because there has to be less fat for the muscle to visible?! Ah, you have made me even more confused, thanks for your input anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I doubt you have a six pack. You really need to work your core for that. You're probably just really skinny like I was, I played loads of football and kayaked but I was skinny and didn't have a six pack (Though it looked like it). You'll get a six pack if you do gymnastics or lift int he gym etc. Your weight is fine, but it depends on your build! I've got a mate who is pretty heavy, but I have never seen someone with such a big structure (he isn't fat he's muscular and big framed).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 11, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.