Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Jobless at Uni and in Debt; any ideas on where to apply for jobs Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been currently actively seeking jobs for the past 2 years and it is driving me crazy that no employer will hire me. Every single day I apply for 5 -10 jobs that are being advertised and I apply for them, get interviews from some of the companies that I apply for and then I get responses from them saying I have been unsuccessful.

My job search is quite limited as I do not have; a passport to apply for summer jobs overseas, a driving license and most importantly experience.

I have continuously searched and applied for the most basic jobs and still I am no closer to being hired, plus I have to £200 of debt to get out of as I have gone through my student funds and draft as I need to eat non-processed foods as I am diabetic because of my weight.

I have ran out of companies and agencies to apply for, but I still have some determination left to keep on applying for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Primarily; get work experience. Offer to do a few days behind a bar as work experience in return for a reference. With that behind you could have more luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akindrat18)
    I have been currently actively seeking jobs for the past 2 years and it is driving me crazy that no employer will hire me. Every single day I apply for 5 -10 jobs that are being advertised and I apply for them, get interviews from some of the companies that I apply for and then I get responses from them saying I have been unsuccessful.

My job search is quite limited as I do not have; a passport to apply for summer jobs overseas, a driving license and most importantly experience.

I have continuously searched and applied for the most basic jobs and still I am no closer to being hired, plus I have to £200 of debt to get out of as I have gone through my student funds and draft as I need to eat non-processed foods as I am diabetic because of my weight.

I have ran out of companies and agencies to apply for, but I still have some determination left to keep on applying for jobs.
    I like the idea of the poster before me - offer to work for a few days in exchange for a reference. I've never heard of people doing that before but it seems like a smart thing to try - might be worth a go! Also, volunteering is a good way to gain a reference. I know how frustrating it is to work for free when you really need money, but in the long run it will help you more to gain experience.

Have you looked into tutoring? If there's a subject you excel at, you can tutor primary / secondary / A-Level with no teaching qualifications needed. Go to tutorhunt.com for an idea of prices. I used to get £9 / hour for primary, £14 / hour for GCSE, £20 / hour for AS/A2 level and I was one of the cheapest on the website. It's good work, hard but very decent pay.

You say you apply for 5-10 jobs every day. Is this online? You'll probably be more successful if you go around shops face-to-face with your CV / application form.

Have you looked into any jobs offered by your university? Some have positions for students which you might like.

You mentioned your weight - and I'm sorry to be so blunt, but do you think this may be one factor in your struggle to find a job? I really don't mean to offend! It's just that there are lots of claims of employers not being keen to employ overweight people. So maybe your need for a job could motivate you to lose weight? :dontknow:
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:

None of those things stop you getting a job. You need to get down to your university careers centre and learn to write better applications and improve your interview technique. You also need to find out where in the university hires students, because universities are more and more turning to their own students to hire for short term jobs.

ReputationRep:

How about doing some voluntary work- such as in a charity shop, with scouts/guides, help in a local school etc etc. Voluntary work looks good and will help you when looking for a job.
    Jobs wise- i know mcdonalds take people on a lot (i know, i work there). Why not try applying there.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    None of those things stop you getting a job. You need to get down to your university careers centre and learn to write better applications and improve your interview technique. You also need to find out where in the university hires students, because universities are more and more turning to their own students to hire for short term jobs.
    Not having a passport can be a pain because a lot of the bigger companies need it as proof that you're a UK citizen/entitled to work in the UK/whatever the correct terminology here is. I agree though, make use of the your university's career centre. They can help improve your CV and can give you feedback on your interview technique and offer advice on how to improve.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mythtakes)
    Not having a passport can be a pain because a lot of the bigger companies need it as proof that you're a UK citizen/entitled to work in the UK/whatever the correct terminology here is.
    A birth certificate will do the same thing

ReputationRep:
    Student Union!
    I have 3 jobs with mine which are all zero hour contracts so I pick when I want to work.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.