Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Boys, what do you expect a girl to talk about with you? Watch

I'm a shy person already but when I'm trying to talk to a boy, it gets even worse and I don't know what to say. I'm friendly with a boy at sixth form and I love being around him, but I end up either not being able to think of something to say or garbling about some random rubbish and he's stood there a bit like :lolwut:

So BASICALLY, what do boys expect you to talk about with them? More so, what do boys *like* talking about?

Heeeeelp!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is an individual, You can't generalize chat in the sense as in each person is different, but for me personally I talk about random things, current topics, and use humor as much as possible.

Just be yourself, Talk about what you want, If they don't like it in any shape or form or reply negative to what your saying, tell them to b0llocks.

ReputationRep:
    this is my type of girl
    loves---
    cars
    science and maths - i dont want her to be a bimbo type
    extreme sports
    technology
    gaming- just a lil bit
    fashion - not a lot

ReputationRep:
    If you are nervous then ask him about himself. People generally like talking about themselves, what they've been doing and their hobbies. If you listen attentively, be encouraging, laugh a little at his jokes, through in a few compliments, etc. then you will get along well. (I realise this isn't very independent behaviour, but if you are shy and you want to get to know someone better then it's probably the best + easiest way).

Anything else is probably a generalisation, and most boys want to talk about boy things with other boys. Unless you genuinely have an interest in football, computer games or cars then I wouldn't try to talk about them.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with previous poster... ask about their hobbies. Ask to see their stamp collection etc.

ReputationRep:
    Anything really. Just nothing too weird really.

ReputationRep:
    About marriage and kids and how you want to settle down with him, that he's the mister right and you've been waiting him all your life. Talk just like that and he's yours

ReputationRep:
    Find things you have in common first I guess, films, music, sports, games, hates etc. then talk about them :P even if you have nothing directly in common you can still talk about movies and what not, suggestions, why a one is good/bad and stuff like that. But there isn't one specific thing all men like to talk about, and if everything fails, there is always the news

ReputationRep:
    Politics & Economy, and Philosophy if possesses an IQ of above German Shepherd

History is fine too, but PPE = im in ♥

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect anything in particular. I just go with the flow. Obviously talking about similar interests or hobbies might be a good place to start. Something you can both relate to is always a safe bet.
    Being confident is key (for me), I can't stand awkward conversations. Don't start a conversation without having a reason too. Otherwise it'll dwindle down to nothing and be very awkward. Don't be generic. I.e "Nice weather today, isn't it?".
    Come across as being a happy, charismatic person. You want to leave a good impression! You gotta get us hooked.
    (Without sounding obsessive) Ask the guy questions about himself. Naturally we like to talk about ourselves. Plus, you'll be able to find out more about him which may help in future conversations.
    Make sure you're actively listening.
    Voice disagreement with respect, hopefully you won't want/need to disagree, but if you do, do it with respect.
    Tell jokes. Tell stories (not boring ones).
    Don't multi-task, focus on the conversation and the conversation only. (I hate it when you're talking to someone and they're typing away on their phone)
    Finally, end the conversation on a positive note.

Hope this helps! Try not to over-think it. It'll work you up. Chill and go for the kill.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a shy person already but when I'm trying to talk to a boy, it gets even worse and I don't know what to say. I'm friendly with a boy at sixth form and I love being around him, but I end up either not being able to think of something to say or garbling about some random rubbish and he's stood there a bit like :lolwut:

So BASICALLY, what do boys expect you to talk about with them? More so, what do boys *like* talking about?

Heeeeelp!
    Same thing you would talk to anyone about except periods and makeup.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.