Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have been receiving many private messages from users asking me about the outcome of my Oxbridge application since the last controversial thread "Council Housed&Economically Deprived: Cambridge or Oxford" in which I asked the TSR community where should I apply. It engaged the community in a real class warfare.

Anyway, I've decided to apply to Oxford and basically I've made it. From the lone-parent, female-headed unskilled working class council house of South Yorkshire to Wadham College, Oxford.

Now, many on the right will argue it's "meritocracy": well, exceptions don't make a rule and you have absolutely no idea what I went through to get there as opposed to those who had a stable situation at home.

To my supportive left-wingers I just want to say that I'm going there to continue the class war in order to end the Oxbridge oligarchy.

I did not want to reply until the recent exam results, but as I got A*A*A I am now almost in the University of Oxford. All I literally need to do now is attend my May/June exams and smear something down.

By 2040 Oxbridge will be nationalised educating proletariat en masse.

ReputationRep:
    It's you again. Well congrats and gl with ending "oxbridge oligarchy".

ReputationRep:
    Great. I've several people who have done this but only you seem to have such a huge chip on your shoulder about it. I wish you luck.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think it's a mistake for you to go.

Like many old colleges Wadham has very narrow doorways and stairwells. I don't know how you are going to navigate them with that enormous chip on your shoulder.

ReputationRep:
    Are you reading Maths or maybe Physics? Maybe you could invent a time machine and go back to a period when anyone cared about class war.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealWorkingClass)
    I have been receiving many private messages from users asking me about the outcome of my Oxbridge application since the last controversial thread "Council Housed&Economically Deprived: Cambridge or Oxford" in which I asked the TSR community where should I apply. It engaged the community in a real class warfare.

Anyway, I've decided to apply to Oxford and basically I've made it. From the lone-parent, female-headed unskilled working class council house of South Yorkshire to Wadham College, Oxford.

Now, many on the right will argue it's "meritocracy": well, exceptions don't make a rule and you have absolutely no idea what I went through to get there as opposed to those who had a stable situation at home.

To my supportive left-wingers I just want to say that I'm going there to continue the class war in order to end the Oxbridge oligarchy.

I did not want to reply until the recent exam results, but as I got A*A*A I am now almost in the University of Oxford. All I literally need to do now is attend my May/June exams and smear something down.

I sincerely hope you are just a troll but if you're genuine: get that chip off your shoulder fast. It's ugly. Inverse snobbery is just as bad. Besides, do you REALLY think you are the only person in your kind of situation to have got into Oxbridge? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I sincerely hope you are just a troll but if you're genuine: get that chip off your shoulder fast. It's ugly. Inverse snobbery is just as bad. Besides, do you REALLY think you are the only person in your kind of situation to have got into Oxbridge? :lolwut:
    Surely not, but answering your question I am the only one I am aware of. Name one person who you personally know of such circumstance: household income under 13k, council housed and raised by a single mother of unskilled working class. I suppose you're struggling. Let's face it: while this takes place, it doesn't happen very often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Thanks to my postcode and socio-economic background I was the victim of streaming throughout GCSE (placed in the lowest of the lowest sets) and carried extremely low grade predictions as opposed to a 'chip on my shoulder'. 99% of such pupils fail miserably, or in the best of luck they get to go to some second-rate university built by the bourgeois-liberals as an apology for industrial revolution :mad: It's sad really.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Surely not, but answering your question I am the only one I am aware of. Name one person who you personally know of such circumstance: household income under 13k, council housed and raised by a single mother of unskilled working class. I suppose you're struggling. Let's face it: while this takes place, it doesn't happen very often.
    Well whilst I can't think of anyone off the top of my head with your exact circumstances, there are people from similar backgrounds. My best friend Y comes from a family with a similarly low income and came to this country as a refugee. Her parents are, to my knowledge, unskilled and whilst I'm not sure about whether it was a council house, certainly her home life was far from idea.

You seem to think you're the only person who's had it hard in life, education and/or getting into Oxbridge. That's a load of BS.

Thanks to my postcode and socio-economic background I was the victim of streaming throughout GCSE (placed in the lowest of the lowest sets) and carried extremely low grade predictions as opposed to a 'chip on my shoulder'. 99% of such pupils fail miserably, or in the best of luck they get to go to some second-rate university built by the bourgeois-liberals as an apology for industrial revolution :mad: It's sad really.
    You definitely have a chip on your shoulder, whether you're aware of it or not. THAT is sad, really :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    "as an apology for industrial revolution"

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on your offer, but really, you're not going to make many friends when you get there with that sort of attitude. Get a grip and go and do something productive about it - volunteer in Blackbird Leys, work on some of Oxford's widening participation projects and actually do something rather than just emitting lots of hot air and no light.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really think that you are the first

I have been teaching in comprehensive schools for the last 30 years and have not seen a year in any of them where we have failed to have 1 or more students go to oxbridge

That includes teaching in some very socially deprived areas

I would not argue with you that a middle class child whose parents are graduates etc etc etc have an easier route ... of course they do wether oxbridge or university generally because they have family who know the situation

But that does not lie at the feet of the universities but at the feet of schools who cannot or will not provide the appropriate support and at the foot of a government that does not provide a national support programme that can help to fill this gap

ReputationRep:

hmmm i think they will have to introduce new courses:

PPE will become Pies Pigeon-fancying and Elocution

ReputationRep:

I don't know whether or not you're a troll but I am in this exact situation except I have got into St Catz. Not really concerned about the 'Oxbridge oligarchy' to be honest, I just want to study to get a degree which I'm passionate about. Have fun trying to convince people who are busy learning something useful to achieve your 'proletariat' aims

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.