Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Stretching exercises Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well, so I bet with my bf that I will be able to do splits by June.
    Any advices about exercises to do it? How/how long etc. Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by twine? A quick google implies you mean the splits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    What do you mean by twine? A quick google implies you mean the splits.
    Mhm, corrected.

ReputationRep:
    The thing with flexibility is that for most people, it is just a question of putting lots of time into it. A lot of it depends on where you are already. If you are close, you can just sit on your hands like this:
    Name:  red-yoga-splits-2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  43.2 KB
    Try and accumulate at least 2 minutes in that position every day. You should make some decent initial gains. When straight up static stretching stops working, learn to contract-relax. Basically flex everything as hard as possible (especially your fists, bum and abs) then let out a sigh of relief. Start easy and work into it. You may also end up sore after the first few sessions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    The thing with flexibility is that for most people, it is just a question of putting lots of time into it. A lot of it depends on where you are already. If you are close, you can just sit on your hands like this:
    Name:  red-yoga-splits-2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  43.2 KB
    Try and accumulate at least 2 minutes in that position every day. You should make some decent initial gains. When straight up static stretching stops working, learn to contract-relax. Basically flex everything as hard as possible (especially your fists, bum and abs) then let out a sigh of relief. Start easy and work into it. You may also end up sore after the first few sessions.
    Ups, I have only one chair, but other advice is really useful!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the stretching video Kwonkicker has on YouTube (can't link from phone).

It's designed for relative beginners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I did a brief foray into the sport studies scientific literature on stretching and flexibility, (i'm a capoeirista and and also interested in becoming more flexible) and (more educated people please correct me this isnt my field) i generally found that static stretching doesn't produce long term flexibility, you need to do "dynamic stretches" where you alternate between stretched and relaxed. for example lowering yourself down into the splits and bringing yourself up again. stretch in the morning and the evening, keep it regular. i know that when i train gymnastics 3 times a week i become really flexible but it deteriorates if i don't train for 4 days or so :\

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to get my splits back - I'm almost there right leg in front, but a long way off left leg. perhaps we should all do it together? I found a thing called 'three week splits' the other day which I thought about doing. I'll see if i can find it.

TomRichie - I've heard this too, and I notice it when I miss a dance class. takes ages for it all to come back. do you know anything more about it? i think I've also heard that it's not good to 'bounce' in a stretch? I make myself hold stretches for 30 seconds, and that seems to help a lot. and stretching when you're already warm, too, like after a jog.

edit - apparently i'm confusing 'dynamic' stretching with 'ballistic'?!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.