Picked the wrong A Levels (SRS) Watch

ravishingrick69
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Just realised mid-year that the a levels I have picked are horrendous and I'm not motivated at all.

You might not believe it, but I've been suffering from depression because of this because I've let go of all the subjects I used to enjoy and made me what I was.
I had a thing for Science, it used to be my strongest subject and my parents used to know me because of my passion for science.

But when I was picking my A Levels, I gave it about 5 minutes thought (literally) and rushed it.

I'm now doing:

Psychology
Philosophy and ethics
Economics
Business

The subjects I seriously want to pick: Biology and Physics.
Is there any way I could drop 2 of my subjects and pick up these new a levels and carry on for the extra year?
Oaktree
Badges: 1
Report 6 years ago
I had the same situation this year, I started off doing; English lit, Maths, French, Business and Economics. I've now dropped English and Maths and I am going to stick this year out and pick up my desired courses next year ( French, Sociology, Psychology and Geography).

The best advice I could give is just try and finish this year and try to atleast pass the AS levels even if they are not what courses you really want to as this year is almost up and I prosume you've already sat some exams? and then start a fresh next year. Realistically your looking at a third year.

Hope this helped and good luck
bluewoodchairs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I second the first answer
ravishingrick69
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oaktree)
I had the same situation this year, I started off doing; English lit, Maths, French, Business and Economics. I've now dropped English and Maths and I am going to stick this year out and pick up my desired courses next year ( French, Sociology, Psychology and Geography).

The best advice I could give is just try and finish this year and try to atleast pass the AS levels even if they are not what courses you really want to as this year is almost up and I prosume you've already sat some exams? and then start a fresh next year. Realistically your looking at a third year.

Hope this helped and good luck
I would love if that were possible for me. I'm not sure if my college would let me however. is there any reason why they'd say no? I'm going to ask my college about it but I have a strong feeling they'll tell me to man up and see it through.

if the college don't let me change, im gonna live a miserable 2 years doing subjects which I probably won't even get good grades in.

could you tell me more on your story?
xMr_BrightSide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why one earth have you left it this late!? Surely you should have realised in September/October, when you could have feasibly dropped some and picked up others. In March, I'm not sure what you can do other than take an extra year.

You must have had some reason for choosing them, so I'd say make the most of what you have and really go for the grades. Make yourself motivated, think about what uni you want and just go for it.
ravishingrick69
Rep:
?
(Original post by xMr_BrightSide)
Why one earth have you left it this late!? Surely you should have realised in September/October, when you could have feasibly dropped some and picked up others. In March, I'm not sure what you can do other than take an extra year.

You must have had some reason for choosing them, so I'd say make the most of what you have and really go for the grades. Make yourself motivated, think about what uni you want and just go for it.
complete mistake, not seeing the whole two years through, impossible
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ravishingrick69)
I would love if that were possible for me. I'm not sure if my college would let me however. is there any reason why they'd say no? I'm going to ask my college about it but I have a strong feeling they'll tell me to man up and see it through.

if the college don't let me change, im gonna live a miserable 2 years doing subjects which I probably won't even get good grades in.

could you tell me more on your story?
You would have so much catching up to do. There should be no reason why you can't drop them at the end of the year and pick up new A levels in September.
Cynical_Smile01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If your college won't let you, move at the end of the year. I know people who are repeating lower 6th because of bad grades or because they simply wanted to do different as'. It's not as unusual as you think.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
ChildishGambino
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ravishingrick69)
Just realised mid-year that the a levels I have picked are horrendous and I'm not motivated at all.

You might not believe it, but I've been suffering from depression because of this because I've let go of all the subjects I used to enjoy and made me what I was.
I had a thing for Science, it used to be my strongest subject and my parents used to know me because of my passion for science.

But when I was picking my A Levels, I gave it about 5 minutes thought (literally) and rushed it.

I'm now doing:

Psychology
Philosophy and ethics
Economics
Business

The subjects I seriously want to pick: Biology and Physics.
Is there any way I could drop 2 of my subjects and pick up these new a levels and carry on for the extra year?
I was in a similar situation and ploughed through with the subjects I hated and got pretty poor grades despite putting incredible amounts of effort in (just wasn't any good at it) and good grades in my other subjects. However due to a low grade in the subject I hated, I didn't get into my first choice of university so I'm doing a third year of a AS+A2 of a subject I enjoy.
Wish I'd have made this decision after my first year as it may have been possible to change or sort something out.

I'd speak to a teacher for advice initially and then speak to the Head of Year/Sixth form to see if anything can be done. The teacher might be a help, especially if you let them know how difficult you're finding it.

Hope you sort something out soon, I know it's a bit of a **** situation to be in
ravishingrick69
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChildishGambino)
I was in a similar situation and ploughed through with the subjects I hated and got pretty poor grades despite putting incredible amounts of effort in (just wasn't any good at it) and good grades in my other subjects. However due to a low grade in the subject I hated, I didn't get into my first choice of university so I'm doing a third year of a AS+A2 of a subject I enjoy.
Wish I'd have made this decision after my first year as it may have been possible to change or sort something out.

I'd speak to a teacher for advice initially and then speak to the Head of Year/Sixth form to see if anything can be done. The teacher might be a help, especially if you let them know how difficult you're finding it.

Hope you sort something out soon, I know it's a bit of a **** situation to be in
thanks for the advice. ill definitely speak about it,

I seriously believe everyone who is smart or has potential should pick challenging a levels, especially the sciences

I love the sciences and wish I picked them, but another reason I hate my a levels is also because I'm not discovering my potential and have low self worth because I haven't picked subjects that demand me to work like a horse
AshleighhhXX
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The case with most a levels is the first 2 months were the most enjoyable. And then after the option to change was closed they threw us into a pool of sharks and I and many people I know have found that these options are not something they can see themselves making a career of and you realise you've mind of messed up your future. Just wish there was an option to change after Christmas !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (131)
18.02%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (126)
17.33%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.44%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (222)
30.54%

Watched Threads