Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What do fellow atheists or theologians think about Gould's idea of NOMA? Watch

ReputationRep:
    And do you agree with Dawkins's take on it? Any keen theological minds have an opinion on NOMA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about non-overlapping magisteria, quoting wiki on Dawking view:

"Richard Dawkins has criticized Gould's position on the grounds that religion does not, and cannot, be divorced from scientific matters or the material world. He writes, "it is completely unrealistic to claim, as Gould and many others do, that religion keeps itself away from science's turf, restricting itself to morals and values. A universe with a supernatural presence would be a fundamentally and qualitatively different kind of universe from one without. The difference is, inescapably, a scientific difference. Religions make existence claims, and this means scientific claims."[9] Gould's observation that"

I'd agree that if a claim is made that something supernatural exists, it does encroach on 'science's turf'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    I'd agree that if a claim is made that something supernatural exists, it does encroach on 'science's turf'.
    Exactly. I find it strange that people can essentially say "That's wrong, and this exists", then write it off as an opinion divorced from science.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Another disagreement with NOMA here. Supernatural claims are of the sort that they are either true or they are false; before a person can presume to know which is the case, they must look for the implications of what is claimed. These implications can be investigated and various kinds of evidence collected (either inductive or deductive), but a stance cannot be supported in good faith without evidence.

Insofar as there must be a reason to believe a thing, and that science is the body of reasons to believe things, supernatural claims about the universe are of a scientific nature. It makes no sense to say that these are two discrete realms of 'non-overlapping magisteria'; if there is no evidence for it then there is no reason to believe it, and if there are reasons to believe it, their merit can be discussed in science.

ReputationRep:
    No mean to take part in the discussion (which is not aimed at me) which I'm only watching because it has the potential to turn out interesting... but shouldn't this be moved to the Religion forum?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I realised after I posted this but I can't move it can I?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I'm not sure...

I think only moderators can do it.

ReputationRep:
    What can be the realm of religion in teaching us how to live our lives? What does Gould suggest?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.