Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

The shawshank redemption vs the prestige Watch

ReputationRep:
    Both films are excellent and definitely in my top 5 films ever. To choose one over the other would be like choosing to kill oprah over the dalai lama. So i was hoping that some other people could aide my thought process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? I preferred The Prestige.

Shawshank was a good film, but I think it's notoriety of being 'a classic - one of the best' influences people heavily and I honestly think it's a tad overrated. It's a great film, don't get me wrong, but I'm a HUGE fan of both Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale so maybe I'd be a tad more biased in that sense.

If they were both released in 2013, IMO the obvious choice is The Prestige. But the fact that Shawshank was released way back in 1994 is where I think a lot of it's credit and respect comes from. It was just revolutionary at the time, there were very few films that stood up to such calibre which is why it'll always go down as a classic.

But yeah, actual film wise, if I were to watch them both for the first time tomorrow, it'd be The Prestige, and I think most people would say the same.

ReputationRep:
    The Prestige was much better. Shawshank is a decent film, but it doesn't bring that much that is new to the table for me. It has such a myth surrounding it. I've seen better prison films (Papillon, Escape from Alcatraz), Morgan Freeman has been better, Tim Robbins has been better. The Prestige makes you think the whole way through.

And take Oprah out, definitely.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.