Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Physics is probably an obvious choice, but do as much maths as possible too. Further maths will include certain modules which will teach you some of the essential skills for physics. It might not be essential to do at A-level to get onto some courses, but you'll probably end up using it so you might as well learn it. I use some further maths things in engineering (having only done AS maths before) and some of it is easy to pick up, but I wish I had learnt some of that before uni.

Watch this video too:

Problems with High School Physics - Sixty Symbols

It is presented by physics lecturers and staff who discuss the requirements for studying physics at university. That video, and the various channels (SixtySymbols, NottinghamScience, etc) are all great to watch for sciencey things!

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you il deff check that link out when im back on my pc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YThursday)
    I applied for theoretical physics this last UCAS season, I somehow got 5 offers.

I took Maths, Physics, Economics and Politics.
    I dropped Economics after AS.

I really don't think Further Maths is as necessary as all of the other people say it is, I kind of regret not taking it instead of economics, but not because I think it would've helped my uni prospects, more just because I want to know more maths.

I also enjoy doing politics, and feel that my essay writing skills may help at university as I doubt there are absolutely no writing skills necessary, and there I will have a step up compared to my colleagues who haven't done essays since GCSE.

In conclusion, for A2 I'd take maths, physics and another subject which you love, I'm not saying don't do further maths - do it if you love maths, but don't consider it necessary.
    Hi, I'm really hoping to do theoretical physics but I didn't know when i chose my subjects. At the moment I'm doing maths(mech), Physics, R.S and Classics. Would i stand a chance for applying and do you have any idea of which subject should drop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJMS)
    Hi, I'm really hoping to do theoretical physics but I didn't know when i chose my subjects. At the moment I'm doing maths(mech), Physics, R.S and Classics. Would i stand a chance for applying and do you have any idea of which subject should drop?
    Yeah, I was deciding between dropping physics at the start of AS because I didn't like the teacher. I only realised how awesome it was later.

Those subjects seem fine. You should be better prepared than me because I did stats not mechanics!

In terms of dropping a subject, it really does not matter which (I assume you know not to drop maths or physics). Neither (as far as I am aware are considered 'soft' by universities, so pick the one which you enjoy the most, and if they are the same, pick the one which you did best at and feel you can achieve most highly with.

Ask if more help is needed.

http://russellgroup.org/Informed%20Choices%20final.pdf I find this helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YThursday)
    Yeah, I was deciding between dropping physics at the start of AS because I didn't like the teacher. I only realised how awesome it was later.

Those subjects seem fine. You should be better prepared than me because I did stats not mechanics!

In terms of dropping a subject, it really does not matter which (I assume you know not to drop maths or physics). Neither (as far as I am aware are considered 'soft' by universities, so pick the one which you enjoy the most, and if they are the same, pick the one which you did best at and feel you can achieve most highly with.

Ask if more help is needed.

http://russellgroup.org/Informed Choices final.pdf I find this helpful.
    Thanks, I've been looking over that link and it's really good : )
    I thought I would be at somewhat of a disadvantage by doing mechanics, as isn't theoretical physics a lot to do with calculating probability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJMS)
    Thanks, I've been looking over that link and it's really good : )
    I thought I would be at somewhat of a disadvantage by doing mechanics, as isn't theoretical physics a lot to do with calculating probability?
    Hmm now that you say that, it kinda makes sense.

I'd still say mechanics gives a bigger advantage though as you will not need the statistics for A-level physics, but the mechanics helps a ton. With mechanics you will just get trig drilled into you which makes the physics papers a lot faster if you can just recognise a situation and know what to do. Here I am faffing about trying to remember the SUVAT equations that you guys learnt in week 1

ReputationRep:
    Physics and maths are essential. Further maths is a huge help in first year and bits of second year depending on how individual universities structure their degrees. I did geography as my third subject and further maths as an additional AS level and that worked out great for me - I learnt the stuff I needed and studied things I enjoyed.

If you can, study as many mechanics modules in maths as possible. They're helpful not only in the content, but the thinking process. Also my mechanics teacher was very...insistent...that we presented our work in the correct manner to get full marks, so it helped us learn the correct procedure for solving problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolfe2013)
    hi guys Ive decided to go into physics as I really enjoy it, what A levels will be best for getting into uni for a physics degree. cheers guys and girls
    Do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry if you're a science-y guy , if not another A Level of your choice instead of Chemistry. If you can manage keep 4 to A2 if not drop the fourth and keep Maths, Further Maths and Physics.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I think my college only does mathematics and use of mathematics AS ? Sorry if im missing somthing haha

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.