The Student Room Group

CCEA A2 History

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thecoopinator
Yeah you need info on the surrounding topic, so for example it may say "how far do the sources support the view that the liberals were to blame for the HR crisis?" and you answer that like an essay and put in the other parts (conservatives, ipp, UU)

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher is awful.. He said you only needed to have information stated in the sources :angry: even tho I looked up the mark scheme and they seemed to have more info. Ugh. Thanks very much tho! :smile: what are you focusing on for study?
Original post by NicolaM
My teacher is awful.. He said you only needed to have information stated in the sources :angry: even tho I looked up the mark scheme and they seemed to have more info. Ugh. Thanks very much tho! :smile: what are you focusing on for study?

Home Rule, Easter Rising and the anglo irish war, we haven't done any proper timed essays all year so i'm now realising my revision notes aren't long enough for the size of a 35 mark answer :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thecoopinator
Home Rule, Easter Rising and the anglo irish war, we haven't done any proper timed essays all year so i'm now realising my revision notes aren't long enough for the size of a 35 mark answer :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok well I've revised home rule already, need to revise Easter rising, maybe Sinn Fein I duno.. Anglo Irish war, civil war and Northern Ireland..
Reply 83
Original post by NicolaM
Do you think they'll be sneaky and put Sinn Fein as an essay??

hmm it was an essay in 2012, and a source last year so doubtful it'll come up again, but you never know. I'm hoping for Home Rule for Source and Rising and Problems faced by NI!!
Reply 84
Original post by NicolaM

Hi, just letting you know how much own knowledge matters as I've a PP and the marks are split, 10 for use of sources, and 10 for own knowledge :smile:, that's for 1(b)
Reply 85
Im useless because my history teacher's useless too! So I hAve hardly any notes on anything, anyone know where to get NI notes apart from Rees and Laffan?
Original post by Rc1921
Hi, just letting you know how much own knowledge matters as I've a PP and the marks are split, 10 for use of sources, and 10 for own knowledge :smile:, that's for 1(b)

Useless teacher..-.-. Thanks so much I appreciate it!! :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by kathrync
Im useless because my history teacher's useless too! So I hAve hardly any notes on anything, anyone know where to get NI notes apart from Rees and Laffan?

O'Leary and Maume show that Craig, a leading Ulster Unionist, used his influence in the coalition government to shape the Government of Ireland Act to his liking... Craig's brother, Charles spoke in the House of Commons and said that a six county NI guaranteed absolute security. (after gov.mt of ireland act 1920)

Walker and Jackson agree that Craig was anxious to consolidate NI as he was feared that British politicians would make concessions to appease Sinn Féin.

In reference to gerrymandered constituencies which ensured Unionists total control of local council... this allowed them to pursue what Walker deems their "sectarian agenda."

Both English and Hart in their study of the IRA show that NI escapred much of the violence caused by the War of Independence Jan1919-July1921 which was largely focused in South and SW.

Walker points out that U.U were anxious with the Boundary Commission which was authorised by the Anglo-Irish Treaty 1921.

Patrick Buckland shows that the NI state was almost bankrupted, that is until the Colwyn Committee 1925

Hope these help!! and good luck :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Rc1921
O'Leary and Maume show that Craig, a leading Ulster Unionist, used his influence in the coalition government to shape the Government of Ireland Act to his liking... Craig's brother, Charles spoke in the House of Commons and said that a six county NI guaranteed absolute security. (after gov.mt of ireland act 1920)

Walker and Jackson agree that Craig was anxious to consolidate NI as he was feared that British politicians would make concessions to appease Sinn Féin.

In reference to gerrymandered constituencies which ensured Unionists total control of local council... this allowed them to pursue what Walker deems their "sectarian agenda."

Both English and Hart in their study of the IRA show that NI escapred much of the violence caused by the War of Independence Jan1919-July1921 which was largely focused in South and SW.

Walker points out that U.U were anxious with the Boundary Commission which was authorised by the Anglo-Irish Treaty 1921.

Patrick Buckland shows that the NI state was almost bankrupted, that is until the Colwyn Committee 1925

Hope these help!! and good luck :smile:

Thank you so much your an absolute star! You too! Have bio tomorrow morning and cant sleep:| then hardcore cramming history sesh!
Reply 89
I'm also sitting the paper on Thursday and am properly bricking it. I'm doing a fast track course so we spent just over 2 months looking over partition from 1900-1925, which is nowhere near enough. I can't even remember going over the War of Independence/Civil War/Northern Ireland. We then spent a few weeks for foreign policy so Ireland had to be put on the back burner until that exam was done with.

I think we all get to a realisation at some point during revision for this module at just how ridiculously dense it is. The amount of information to learn along with contemporary/historians evidence is pretty astounding. Home Rule initially appears simple but becomes more and more impenetrable as you learn around it.

But anyway good luck guys. Just think, in a few days it will all be over, and we'll be worrying about another exam ^_^
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 91
I think that Home Rule will be source hasn't been on as a source question since 2011.The Easter Rising might be the 1st essay as both rise of sinn fein/ downfall of IPP and home rule have been essays for 3/4 times, also sinn fein was the source question last year and the essay question in 2012. The second essay could be Civil War as it has never been asked before or NI Govt (1921-1925) or GoIA. Bricking it for tomorrow!!! I think this is the hardest module to date AND its worth the MOST=( Good Luck Everyone- hope you all get the questions yous want!!! =)
Anyone else completely bricking themselves? I'm panicking soo much.
Im revising:
Home rule
Easter rising
NI
Anglo Irish War
Civil War

If time:
July truce
Sinn Fein
BG Policy

Ahhhhhhhhhh. I'm only at Easter rising.
does anyone have any tips for revising home rule??? I've been doing it for ages and can't seem to remember anything :frown:
Anyone got historiography for Easter Rising? Can trade it for Home Rule historiography.
Original post by Zadeth
Anyone got historiography for Easter Rising? Can trade it for Home Rule historiography.

Clarke and McDermott were a "minority of a minority" according to Foster- very few IRB members wanted to stage a rising

Fitzpatrick highlights the IPP's decline before the easter rising, pointing to the beginning of the great war as the beginning of their downfall

Dillon accused the government of manufacturing sinn feiners by the tens of thousands through the executions of the rebels.

O'Halpin calls the governments imposition of martial law, internment and other forms of military harassment after the rising a "major error" - it made the IPP look powerless

Laffan identifies the creation of the UVF and successful unionist threats of violence as "relighting the fenian flame"- it made nationalists think that the only way they would achieve things was through violence.

Rees calls the creation of the Military Committee in 1915 the most crucial factor in the planning of the 1916 rising

F. X Martin calls the rising "a revolution of intellectuals" in the vein of the 1848 revolutions across Europe- 3/7 signatories of the proclamation were poets

Hope that helps! :biggrin:
Sorry for polluting but to confirm, is Anglo Irish war a topic that could come up solely as a focus on its own or is it like a contributing factor to say, the truce etc, like its part of that..?
Original post by NicolaM
Sorry for polluting but to confirm, is Anglo Irish war a topic that could come up solely as a focus on its own or is it like a contributing factor to say, the truce etc, like its part of that..?

i would say it could come up by itself, my class did a practice essay that was something about the british govt. policy throughout the war of independence was self defeating and there was a few others we looked at as well! I doubt it'll come up this year though
Original post by hannahm95
i would say it could come up by itself, my class did a practice essay that was something about the british govt. policy throughout the war of independence was self defeating and there was a few others we looked at as well! I doubt it'll come up this year though

Oh ok thanks! What're you focusing on for source possibilities then excluding hr..
Anyone got any historiography for Govt of Ireland Act? I've got about 7, but that's not enough.

Quick Reply

Latest