The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham post application days 2013

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

Does anyone know what the weather conditions are like in Stockton/Thornaby? I'm currently in Oxford and woke up to snow this morning... Traveling up tomorrow for the Tuesday open day and slightly concerned about how the transport network will cope (or not).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by criticalnature
Hi,

Does anyone know what the weather conditions are like in Stockton/Thornaby? I'm currently in Oxford and woke up to snow this morning... Traveling up tomorrow for the Tuesday open day and slightly concerned about how the transport network will cope (or not).

Well, Durham City's got snow forecast for most of Tuesday. :s-smilie: This could be interesting...
I'm off to Grey on Tuesday/Wednesday. Anyone else doing likewise?
What time is everyone arriving? I'm going to school first so my train won't arrive until 4:30 - hope I'm not the last one there! I really hope it snows this week, Durham looks gorgeous in the snow. We haven't really had much snow in the North East since a couple of weeks ago so I guess we are due some!

I'm coming to Van Mildert (for maths) by the way. :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Math-Magician
What time is everyone arriving? I'm going to school first so my train won't arrive until 4:30 - hope I'm not the last one there! I really hope it snows this week, Durham looks gorgeous in the snow. We haven't really had much snow in the North East since a couple of weeks ago so I guess we are due some!

I'm coming to Van Mildert (for maths) by the way. :smile:

My train gets there at 16:24, I'm going to Collingwood for Chemistry. After a bit of research it seems like there will be shuttle buses put on for students going to "Hill colleges". Collingwood and Van Mildert seem to fall into that group so I may even get on the same bus as you haha
Original post by Oslo
My train gets there at 16:24, I'm going to Collingwood for Chemistry. After a bit of research it seems like there will be shuttle buses put on for students going to "Hill colleges". Collingwood and Van Mildert seem to fall into that group so I may even get on the same bus as you haha

My train gets in at 16:37 to be precise so I'll probably just miss you! I hadn't realised about the bus, I thought I'd be walking :biggrin:
Reply 46
Original post by Math-Magician
My train gets in at 16:37 to be precise so I'll probably just miss you! I hadn't realised about the bus, I thought I'd be walking :biggrin:

Check out this big pdf http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/undergraduate/opendays/Opendayguide12March2013.pdf , your college says you'll get a bus, and Trevs + St. Aidan's mention buses going to hill colleges, hopefully I can hop on one considering Collingwood don't mention them.
Original post by Awoodrow2
Well, Durham City's got snow forecast for most of Tuesday. :s-smilie: This could be interesting...

Very interesting :P I love the snow, though I'm hoping the train will get to Thornaby okay. Thankfully traveling the day before so if its delayed it won't be too bad.
Reply 48
Finally arrived in Durham after travelling 5 hours through sleet and snow! Really excited for tomorrow, can't wait!!!
(I'm at Grey for modern languages by the way :biggrin:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by inangel123
Hi :smile: i'm going tomorrow to Van Mildert for languages and I was just wondering what kind of confirmation you received from the Uni about your place? Because all i've got is a screenshot of a booking reference, and i'm not sure if thats enough. or if anyone received an email or something??

I'm going to Van Mildert too but for natural sciences :smile: I've only got an email confirming my booking, along with a pdf guide that I found really confusing :/
Reply 50
Is anyone going on the 19th but not staying over?
Reply 51
Currently snowing in Middlesbrough right now, which means snow in Thornaby too. It's light, but laying. Hopefully rain will wash it away for all the train goers.

Just been told I'll be arriving at my college at 1430 on Tuesday. I knw it says arrival 2-6, but does anyone think I'm getting there too early? Hard to tell for myself lol
Original post by Boro123
Currently snowing in Middlesbrough right now, which means snow in Thornaby too. It's light, but laying. Hopefully rain will wash it away for all the train goers.

Just been told I'll be arriving at my college at 1430 on Tuesday. I knw it says arrival 2-6, but does anyone think I'm getting there too early? Hard to tell for myself lol

You will probably be fine. Most colleges only specify a time because they try and make sure someone can meet people at the station.

What College are you at?
Hi! I'm going on the 19th/20th open day for University College :smile: I'm there for Classics! Any fellow Castle people/classicists?
Also, a five and a half hour journey for me on Tuesday! Hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Castle, Biomedical Science, mon/tue open day.
Help! What's everyone packing?
Also the formal evening, just HOW formal are we going here?
Original post by DominoChocolate
Castle, Biomedical Science, mon/tue open day.
Help! What's everyone packing?
Also the formal evening, just HOW formal are we going here?

I'm going black dress for the formal meal with a blue cardigan, I hope it's formal enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aristocles123
I'm going black dress for the formal meal with a blue cardigan, I hope it's formal enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I might take a few options, I have a formal black dress with a lacy bit at the top that I feel is too formal, and I might bring a skirt and blouse just in case. Hopefully we'll see each other there :smile:
Technical question: Which taxi service is best for the Thornaby area - Crown or Royal? I know I had the card for one of them but I seem to have lost it... Feedback please!
Hey! I'm going on the 18th/19th for Cuths to study philosophy and literature but I'm confused about stuff! It's says arrive 2-6 but it also says stuff is happening then like tours so should your arrive well before 6 for these or at 2? Also as I'm doing joint honours I'm doing the joint honours talk at 2.15 but what should I do at the end of the philosophy talk at 1 and the joint honours talk? Sorry for all the questions I'm just a disorganised mess
Reply 59
Original post by WillSinclair
You will probably be fine. Most colleges only specify a time because they try and make sure someone can meet people at the station.

What College are you at?

Cheers! Going to Trevs and excited about it :smile: Should have put all of this in my OP at the start of the thread, but never mind. Are you a current student or an applicant?

Quick Reply

Latest