Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

How do I get a cheap first time car,insurance and driving lessons? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SortYourLife)
    Nope didn't know the person, wasn't the nearest but seemed to be in really good condition, had 12 months MOT on it, very clean inside, just needs a bit of tidying up and maybe a couple of things buying to look at bit better. And exactly, this car really is about cheap insurance, not the best car I can get, that'll be in a few years when I'm out of uni and earning more than I am now from my part time job

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see , all the nice cars are really expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingers6)
    Try autotrader. You can view all cars within a distance set by you and (in detail) search for the car you want

A KA would be suitable but it depends whether you require 3 or 5 doors. You will find plenty of individual sellers and small car traders but the prices between the two don't differ. As a first time buyer I would suggest you go with a trader (especially if your parents don't have a vehicle) to be sure the sale is legitimate

Have you had any guidance from school etc?

I had a 'motorwise' day and we were given a step by step tour on how to inspect a vehicle and then a guide to take away (how to look at the engine). Parents can be good guides for this, to make sure no one takes advantage of you when looking for your first car.

Hope this helps!
    If they had any advice would encourage us to not have cars lol - I'm from London so cars are priced out through CC and parking fees

Thanks- i don't like the idea of handing over hundreds of pounds to a random person on the street

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    If they had any advice would encourage us to not have cars lol - I'm from London so cars are priced out through CC and parking fees

Thanks- i don't like the idea of handing over hundreds of pounds to a random person on the street
    Difficult situation...

Even if you pass your test and don't get a car straight away it is a bonus, at least if you move/decide to get a car at a later date you have the experience (and the insurance would have gone down)

ReputationRep:
    My parents were dead set on me getting a ford or a vauxhall too, just because they reckoned these were most reliable.

Corsas are probably one of the cheapest to insure (at least that's what I found) with KAs being a bit more expensive and fiestas even more so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some cars will be cheap because they are insurance write offs. The seller should tell you this, but some don't and it is easy to be dazzled by a car that looks in good condition at an affordable price.

You can be lucky on autotrader, car dealer or private seller and buy a great car for little money. But you can be equally unlucky, there is no substitute for knowing what to look for when buying a car. If you find an affordable car check online for known faults with that model. There are specific places to check for crash damage. Having at least 6 months MOT is a must, but a valid MOT does not mean a car is road worthy now.

I suggest that you do the following:

- Save your money and keep saving until you pass your test.

- Get your provisional and pass your theory test

- Find a good driving instructor

- Pass your test

Then think about getting a car. You may pass your test quickly or it may take longer. By the time you pass, there maybe more choice in the black box based car insurance market which may lower your insurance costs. Which may mean you can afford a better car. The older the car, the less fuel efficient it may be and the higher the car tax. If you can do a car maintenance course, it will help you gain the skills to be able do the basic checks on a car you want to buy and maintain it after purchase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edjunkie)
    Some cars will be cheap because they are insurance write offs. The seller should tell you this, but some don't and it is easy to be dazzled by a car that looks in good condition at an affordable price.

You can be lucky on autotrader, car dealer or private seller and buy a great car for little money. But you can be equally unlucky, there is no substitute for knowing what to look for when buying a car. If you find an affordable car check online for known faults with that model. There are specific places to check for crash damage. Having at least 6 months MOT is a must, but a valid MOT does not mean a car is road worthy now.

I suggest that you do the following:

- Save your money and keep saving until you pass your test.

- Get your provisional and pass your theory test

- Find a good driving instructor

- Pass your test

Then think about getting a car. You may pass your test quickly or it may take longer. By the time you pass, there maybe more choice in the black box based car insurance market which may lower your insurance costs. Which may mean you can afford a better car. The older the car, the less fuel efficient it may be and the higher the car tax. If you can do a car maintenance course, it will help you gain the skills to be able do the basic checks on a car you want to buy and maintain it after purchase.
    Thanks- I'm gonna stop jumping the gun!

I'm gonna try and pass with as little driving lessons as possible first lol!

ReputationRep:
    Don't just go for the cheapest driving lessons. The instructor may not be very good and you could end up taking a lot more lessons to pass. Always ask friends for recommendations on who is good in your area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnB)
    Don't just go for the cheapest driving lessons. The instructor may not be very good and you could end up taking a lot more lessons to pass. Always ask friends for recommendations on who is good in your area.
    I see what you mean but AA and BSM seem to charge quite a lot!

I'll ask around when my provisional comes through the post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I see what you mean but AA and BSM seem to charge quite a lot!

I'll ask around when my provisional comes through the post
    I have always found that local driving instructors, often sole traders, are often better than companies such as the AA or BSM as they care more about their reputation in their local area! Ask friend etc who they went with and would they recommend them.

ReputationRep:
    You are seriously underestimating the cost of having a car. You're parents don't drive, so I doubt they have been teaching you anything about the road in general so expect to have 30 lessons or more.

30 - 40 lessons at £20-£25 = £600-£1000
    License - £50
    theory £35 (assume pass first time)
    Test £75? (and again if you fail the first one)
    car - £500 at least also, expect £50 or so for a service. £100 for tyres/new filters/brake pads etc to pass the next MOT. £500 for a new car if it breaks completely (actually, might be worth the £1000 repair bill because then you wont have to get new insurance)
    Insurance - anywhere from £1000 - £4000 depending on your location, age and parents driving history. I couldn't get anything for less than £3000 in Manchester.

Also how much driving are you going to be doing? I spend about £20 a week on petrol.

That adds up to a complete lower limit of about £2300 (but you are never going to be that lucky) and an upper limit of £5800 with no breakdowns or insurance claims.

Think about what you are going to be getting out of this investment. After a year you will have a worthless car, most of your expense is going on insurance etc which you wont have anything to show for.

The advantage is you will have a license, which will always be useful.

Thinking about it though: coming in at a lower limit of £3000, plus the say £1000 petrol cost that's 200 £20 Taxi rides, ie pretty much one every day and a half for the year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnB)
    I have always found that local driving instructors, often sole traders, are often better than companies such as the AA or BSM as they care more about their reputation in their local area! Ask friend etc who they went with and would they recommend them.
    I saw one that gives a special offer of 5 hours for £19.99 !!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.