Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

To buy or not to buy (a car) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, I am really stuck and I need some advice from anyone! My friends and family haven't given me a straight answer. I am 17 (18 on march 26th) I have just passed my full driving test and I don't know if I should buy a car or not. The primary use of the car will be commuting to and from Southampton and the University of Farnham. I will be coming back once a fortnight to stay the weekend and not sure what would be the best option to take. I am looking to spend 700 on a car and have been quoted £1500 on insurance (with a black box) I earn about £310 a week from my part time job but £70 is spent on phone bill, gym and other direct debits. I have £400 saved up and with my pay-day and birthday near the same day I am looking to have close to £900. If I were to get the train back once a fortnight then it would cost £20 one way which i do not mind paying but I have to make a change at a station making the whole journey take up to 2 hours whereas a car would be more like 40 mins. If I wasn't to get a car then I would buy a laptop with a much better processor. What idea seems more reasonable/ what would you do in my shoes? Thanks for taking your time in reading this!

ReputationRep:
    auto trader. But make sure you read reviews maybe something like a KA or a Clio?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you think a car would benefit you (which it sounds like it would do) then get one. By the sounds of it you can afford it etc, so thats not an issue.
    Like the person above said, look on auto trader. And also look for used car garages in your area and look on their websites to see what they have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    If you think a car would benefit you (which it sounds like it would do) then get one. By the sounds of it you can afford it etc, so thats not an issue.
    Like the person above said, look on auto trader. And also look for used car garages in your area and look on their websites to see what they have.
    Money is a little bit of an issue because it means I will have to fork out a bit of money from my student loan :/ Why can I not just win the lottery!? Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saints23)
    Money is a little bit of an issue because it means I will have to fork out a bit of money from my student loan :/ Why can I not just win the lottery!? Thanks for the advice
    I know what you mean about winning the lottery, id love to as well.

ReputationRep:
    Are you averse to the idea of a motorcycle? You could ride a 125cc bike with your car license after CBT... Then after a little practice, take the bike test and get a big bike.

The bike would cost less than a car and the insurance would be half the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Are you averse to the idea of a motorcycle? You could ride a 125cc bike with your car license after CBT... Then after a little practice, take the bike test and get a big bike.

The bike would cost less than a car and the insurance would be half the price.
    I did think about a 125cc but I didn't have the best of luck with a 50cc (broke down a lot and other motorists treat you like ****) and to be honest on rainy weather I would not be confident to take the bike out, I did for a while on my 50cc but once I skidded off on a drain, I didn't enjoy it as much.

ReputationRep:
    You earn £310 per week? That's pretty good pay considering you only work part time and are only 17. What do you do?

As for your question, it really depends on what you feel would be best for your needs and what you consider important for you. Work out roughly how much it'll cost you to own a car and run it with how much train fares would cost. Would having a laptop be more beneficial to you than driving a car? Or perhaps you can find a balance between a car you can afford to buy and insure with a laptop you are happy with and end up with both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hustler-1337)
    You earn £310 per week? That's pretty good pay considering you only work part time and are only 17. What do you do?

As for your question, it really depends on what you feel would be best for your needs and what you consider important for you. Work out roughly how much it'll cost you to own a car and run it with how much train fares would cost. Would having a laptop be more beneficial to you than driving a car? Or perhaps you can find a balance between a car you can afford to buy and insure with a laptop you are happy with and end up with both.
    Thanks a lot! I guess it is up to what I consider more important. Aahhh this decision is really annoying me :/ Oh well, i'm sure i'll pick the right option. Oh, and I work 12 hours a week stacking shelves at Sainsbury's, I think I'm on £6.70 an hour , so yeah, not bad!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! I guess it is up to what I consider more important. Aahhh this decision is really annoying me :/ Oh well, i'm sure i'll pick the right option. Oh, and I work 12 hours a week stacking shelves at Sainsbury's, I think I'm on £6.70 an hour , so yeah, not bad!
    Lol, I work in Sainsburys as well and earn about £7 something p/h working 16hrs a week and I get less than what your getting. So i'm not sure how you got £310 unless you're racking up the overtime? Just making you aware in case you thought you were earning x amount when in reality you are earning much less.

ReputationRep:
    Looking on the national rail website, if you use a 16-25 rail card you can get a return journey for £20 from Farnham to Southampton. Will vary a bit on when you travel but its not as expensive as £20 one way...

Will also leave you with more money for other things/emergencies and in time your insurance cost will go down even if you've not driven since passing your test.

Just a thought.

Lol, I work in Sainsburys as well and earn about £7 something p/h working 16hrs a week and I get less than what your getting. So i'm not sure how you got £310 unless you're racking up the overtime? Just making you aware in case you thought you were earning x amount when in reality you are earning much less.
    £6.70 x 12 x 4 (sainsburys pay every 4 weeks) = £321.60 every 4 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I did think about a 125cc but I didn't have the best of luck with a 50cc (broke down a lot and other motorists treat you like ****) and to be honest on rainy weather I would not be confident to take the bike out, I did for a while on my 50cc but once I skidded off on a drain, I didn't enjoy it as much.
    True, but a 125cc is considerably quicker and safer than a 50cc. As for rain and slipping, it's just a case of practice and care. I ride a 600cc as my only vehicle rain or shine every day and I'm totally used to most things that motorcycling could throw at me.

Sadly since February you have to be 19 to ride "medium" bikes and ridiculously, 24 to take the big bike test (but you can just wait 2 years for your license to mature to big bikes).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    The OP said £310 a week. But probably meant a month/4weeks which is more plausible as you've pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    The OP said £310 a week. But probably meant a month/4weeks which is more plausible as you've pointed out.

Haha yep sorry guys! It's actually £310 a month. My bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Looking on the national rail website, if you use a 16-25 rail card you can get a return journey for £20 from Farnham to Southampton. Will vary a bit on when you travel but its not as expensive as £20 one way...

Will also leave you with more money for other things/emergencies and in time your insurance cost will go down even if you've not driven since passing your test.

Just a thought.

Thanks buddy! Hmm so will it go down a lot if i am not driving. So say when I am 19 will it be a lot cheaper?

ReputationRep:
    Haha yep sorry guys! It's actually £310 a month. My bad!

So, are you decided yet, car or laptop/both??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR. Pepper)
    So, are you decided yet, car or laptop/both??
    I really don't know :/ probably no car and I will save my money for the year after, but I do really want one!

ReputationRep:
    Being a student and earning £310 a month (with £70 bills) I would advise you put off getting a car while studying. As previously stated public transport is much cheaper (no insurance, no tax, no MOT and no surprise costs). Also unless you have looked into it, there is no guarantee of a parking space at your chosen university.

ReputationRep:
    Having a car is really tempting but I passed my test nearly 2 years ago and still don't have a car because I don't NEED one. If you are living close to public transport with a student discount there really is no need to be paying out for a car.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know :/ probably no car and I will save my money for the year after, but I do really want one!

Then go for it! its great fun and very beneficial, it really is!

I have been driving for just over a year now, no lie it is very costly and I have spent over £4500 in a years motoring but definitely worth it, especially in the summertime!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.