Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I'm splitting my mum and dad up. Watch

So basically I'm 16 and male and I a good boy (don't mess around in sixth form, not badly behaved etc) but I always argue with my dad. He says most of the time it's because I rude and I don't do things, like tonight it was because I was doing coursework at 12 which I don't see as a big problem but yeah. So, we always have these little arguments but apart from them we're fine, I mean we go to watch football together and so on, but there's been a couple of big arguments that have left me hating myself because I know it's splitting my parents up. This is because my mum hates it when we argue and yeah that leads to my parents arguing. Tonight after the coursework thing my mum was really mad. She was slaing doors like I've never seen her before, she was saying "if I died tonight, you wouldn't care" to me. She also shouted "Is this what you wanted? We'll see tomorrow when I'm packing my bags." This absolutely wrecks me. To know I'm ruining my parents relationship kills me so much. And I know you'll say "change then" believe me I try, but I can't. I just don't know what do, I just want to run away if I'm honest. They're sleeping now, i just want to pack my things and go. I won't be causing any problems anymore, will I?
    • TSR Support Team

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So basically I'm 16 and male and I a good boy (don't mess around in sixth form, not badly behaved etc) but I always argue with my dad. He says most of the time it's because I rude and I don't do things, like tonight it was because I was doing coursework at 12 which I don't see as a big problem but yeah. So, we always have these little arguments but apart from them we're fine, I mean we go to watch football together and so on, but there's been a couple of big arguments that have left me hating myself because I know it's splitting my parents up. This is because my mum hates it when we argue and yeah that leads to my parents arguing. Tonight after the coursework thing my mum was really mad. She was slaing doors like I've never seen her before, she was saying "if I died tonight, you wouldn't care" to me. She also shouted "Is this what you wanted? We'll see tomorrow when I'm packing my bags." This absolutely wrecks me. To know I'm ruining my parents relationship kills me so much. And I know you'll say "change then" believe me I try, but I can't. I just don't know what do, I just want to run away if I'm honest. They're sleeping now, i just want to pack my things and go. I won't be causing any problems anymore, will I?
    No worst thing to do is run away when things are like this, to be honest I don't think your little arguements are the problem because it sounds like maybe your parents have deeper problems somewhere causing them to argue.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way u should have to feel this burden. Ur mum shouldn't be saying that to u and ur not to blame for their arguments they need to sort it out not u

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt that you're the main cause of the strains of your parents relationship. Sure, as arguments go on, tension rises, but there had to be some tension there for a tiff over coursework to explode.
    Tell your parents your concerns, and you'll probably be hugged and apologised to; because believe it or not, a marriage is between your parents, not you. If they're going to scrap, you might have accidentally added fire, but you're not the original embers.
    And; carry on working hard in school, no matter what. If it's getting to you that much that it may effect schoolwork, talk to a teacher you trust.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAintDead)
    Tell your parents your concerns, and you'll probably be hugged and apologised to; because believe it or not, a marriage is between your parents, not you.
    Hugged and apologised to? Can we switch parents please.

As for the OP, personally I would have a word with your mum calmly and say something like "people argue, it will always happen, it doesn't mean they don't love each other, when dad and I argue we still love each other, and I still love you, and I'm sure he still loves you. Please don't try to guilt me into not engaging with him if I feel he's telling me off unfairly. If you disagree with me to, that's your prerogative, but please don't try to emotionally blackmail me into not holding and expressing my own opinions."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Hugged and apologised to? Can we switch parents please.
    Bwahaha, my mother is soft as anything.
    "Don't worry about it, think of something nice, like ladybirds and butterflies!"

Yeah; OP, talk to your mum. But remember, it's not your fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAintDead)
    Bwahaha, my mother is soft as anything.
    "Don't worry about it, think of something nice, like ladybirds and butterflies!"

Yeah; OP, talk to your mum. But remember, it's not your fault.

My mum's the same...we wont even argue about anything big but she'll still come back down stairs apologising with a cup of tea and bowl of ice cream

OP talk to both you're parents, in a quiet, civilised manner, have all of you sit down and discuss where things are going wrong and how you can all compromise, if anyone starts shouting, just leave the room or stay silent until they finish and start again.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with people who don't like each other to break up with each other. To be honest, it sounds like you aren't the main thing they are arguing about, but IF you were then it wouldn't be a bad thing for your parents to have disagreements on how you should be brought up - they're not compatible if they can't decide.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.