Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Our ignorance to the real world Watch

ReputationRep:
    Something that really bothers me is our ignorance to what really goes on in places where people are lacking the very basics needed to live. I am planning to go to Tanzania next year and I know people that have been to places like that and it is unbelievable to think that in the west we threat over things like being in a recession and people being made redundant, when in the grand scheme of things these are tiny issues in comparison to the world around us. There are children in places like Nigeria that get taken from their families at the age of eight and trained by groups to be killers. I mean is it just me or are the prosperous countries so wrapped up in greed and power that they seem to forget the fact that one man can buy forty of the world's poorest countries. Although I do appreciate that some are not very fortunate here, it winds me up how charities such as comic relief seem to spend money taking children to the park for a day out when there are kids that can't even eat. We might be in a different country, but we are all on the same planet! I just wondered what you guys thought about this?

ReputationRep:
    We know these issues exist but since they do no affect me directly and I know I cannot help I choose to ignore them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    We know these issues exist but since they do no affect me directly and I know I cannot help I choose to ignore them
    Exactly and that's the problem. Governments should be raising awareness and setting an example to their people rather than having to spend time at the UN security council to vote for sanctions to try and stop North Korea developing long range nuclear warheads.

ReputationRep:
    Well that one man needs to think carefully before he goes to bed at night. The message comes from the top, change is being squashed from the people at the bottom. These issues are known, moral arguments have been made. I personally call for birth control and education globally no way can 7 or 10 billion people live on western living standards. Be happy you live in the west, if they had the chance and you were in their situation would they care about you? Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Most people have been desensitised by the high volume of charity adverts. It's sad, but it's a well known phenomenon - pictures of starving african children simply don't have the power to shock any more.

There also really is a limit to what we can do. Sending aid doesn't solve the problem, though it helps a few people and we do it anyway. We can't stabilise a country by force (look at all the previous attempts), and we can't allow everyone British citizenship. Also, western countries aren't as stable as you think they are. Take the Congo - it's many times the size of our island. If we put all our resources into helping them it would cripple us, and that's just one country. Plus, we'll get accused of imperialism.

I do appreciate what you are saying, and I know there is more I personally can do. However, there is a limit. It is arrogant to think that as a nation we can solve third world problems, because we can't. True stability can only come from within a country.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the real world. Also are you trying to say that recession and unemployment are not big issues? In a way youre the one who's ignorant about the real world. Although I agree with somethings that you said, you have to be realistic. It looks like to me you know nothing about the real world. Its arrogant to think that we should prioritise another countries problems over our own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Well that one man needs to think carefully before he goes to bed at night. The message comes from the top, change is being squashed from the people at the bottom. These issues are known, moral arguments have been made. I personally call for birth control and education globally no way can 7 or 10 billion people live on western living standards. Be happy you live in the west, if they had the chance and you were in their situation would they care about you? Probably not.
    It obviously would be a task that would take in excess of a hundred years considering most African governments/authorities are corrupt. You're right, they cannot all live on western living standards, but they still have a right to shelter, food and warmth right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitrogen)
    Thats the real world. We only care for ourselves and that wont change. Also are you trying to say that recession and unemployment are not big issues? In a way youre the one who's ignorant about the real world. Although I agree with somethings that you said, you have to be realistic. It looks like to me you know nothing about the real world.
    No if you read what I said again, I said that a recession in the grand scheme of things and in comparison to what else goes on (a child dying every ten seconds due to mal nutrition in one continent), it makes a recession seem tiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Most people have been desensitised by the high volume of charity adverts. It's sad, but it's a well known phenomenon - pictures of starving african children simply don't have the power to shock any more.

There also really is a limit to what we can do. Sending aid doesn't solve the problem, though it helps a few people and we do it anyway. We can't stabilise a country by force (look at all the previous attempts), and we can't allow everyone British citizenship. Also, western countries aren't as stable as you think they are. Take the Congo - it's many times the size of our island. If we put all our resources into helping them it would cripple us, and that's just one country. Plus, we'll get accused of imperialism.

I do appreciate what you are saying, and I know there is more I personally can do. However, there is a limit. It is arrogant to think that as a nation we can solve third world problems, because we can't. True stability can only come from within a country.
    I appreciate what you're saying, but it's easy to talk about the ways in which it would cripple us, but from what people have said that have actually been there, until you go there and not just see these adverts and images, it's difficult to understand how these children live. I'm obviously not suggesting that one or two countries should attempt it, if it were ever to happen it would have to be a global thing and with modern politics, it will never happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt_reem)
    It obviously would be a task that would take in excess of a hundred years considering most African governments/authorities are corrupt. You're right, they cannot all live on western living standards, but they still have a right to shelter, food and warmth right?
    Of course but most the time there is valid reasons for why not i.e lack of water especially in the case of Africa. Plus when our survival is at risk we produce more children?

I think there needs to be a redistribution of wealth don't get me wrong, but its just about how its implemented and how its done. Its natural in the future for our society to become more uneven especially under capitalism. You have to remember there is currently limited resources globally. Population control is key which comes through education.

I've travelled across India, Africa, China I've seen it all but you do realise how shallow our lives are in the west. I don't really buy as many clothes any more or live on an extravagant diet. Most the problems in the west are superficial.

ReputationRep:
    Of course but most the time there is valid reasons for why not i.e lack of water especially in the case of Africa. Plus when our survival is at risk we produce more children?

I think there needs to be a redistribution of wealth don't get me wrong, but its just about how its implemented and how its done. Its natural in the future for our society to become more uneven especially under capitalism. You have to remember there is currently limited resources globally. Population control is key which comes through education.

I've travelled across India, Africa, China I've seen it all but you do realise how shallow our lives are in the west. I don't really buy as many clothes any more or live on an extravagant diet. Most the problems in the west are superficial.
    Yeah I totally agree with you to be honest. I wasn't suggesting that it's completely solvable, it's obviously not as there are so many different countries with different views and opinions, combine that with African corruption and it seems an impossible task. I am totally with you on the superficial western thing.

ReputationRep:
    No if you read what I said again, I said that a recession in the grand scheme of things and in comparison to what else goes on (a child dying every ten seconds due to mal nutrition in one continent), it makes a recession seem tiny.
    They're both sad situations. Of course it is sad that children are dying because of the circumstances you describe but I'd argue it is equally as sad to see a person's spirit slowly broken as each day passes because they are long term unemployed and have lost their identity. In both situations dreams aren't being realised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    They're both sad situations. Of course it is sad that children are dying because of the circumstances you describe but I'd argue it is equally as sad to see a person's spirit slowly broken as each day passes because they are long term unemployed and have lost their identity. In both situations dreams aren't being realised.
    I get your point, but the scope of the two situations are completely different. I'm talking about the basic conditions needed to live, your talking about someone that has that and ten times more, combined with a benefit system, national health and a vast number of support agencies to help them.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think you're a little naive about life in this country and what things such as unemployment and a whole host of other issues that can come along with it can do to some people. Perhaps you grew up in a nice area where people have a house and a garden and a dog and a car and holidays in France etc, and I'm sure if that's the case then it probably feels to you as if that's what British life must be like for everyone here, but that's just not the case.

There are parents in this country who have to go hungry in order that their kids can have a decent meal (yes really). There are people who have to sleep on the streets, people who have to beg for money to fund a drug addiction that started as a way of coping with poverty, abuse, mental health problems, unemployment. And that's not to mention the fact that horrible things can happen to anyone, regardless of how much money they have or where in the world they live.

You are in denial if you think we don't need to give to those living in our own country. Yes things are bad in Africa, but you need to look outside your bubble and open your eyes to the fact that your life is not representative of everyone in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    To be honest I think you're a little naive about life in this country and what things such as unemployment and a whole host of other issues that can come along with it can do to some people. Perhaps you grew up in a nice area where people have a house and a garden and a dog and a car and holidays in France etc, and I'm sure if that's the case then it probably feels to you as if that's what British life must be like for everyone here, but that's just not the case.

There are parents in this country who have to go hungry in order that their kids can have a decent meal (yes really). There are people who have to sleep on the streets, people who have to beg for money to fund a drug addiction that started as a way of coping with poverty, abuse, mental health problems, unemployment. And that's not to mention the fact that horrible things can happen to anyone, regardless of how much money they have or where in the world they live.

You are in denial if you think we don't need to give to those living in our own country. Yes things are bad in Africa, but you need to look outside your bubble and open your eyes to the fact that your life is not representative of everyone in this country.
    Yeah but again this is my point, this is a country that has support for people that go through acts of abuse, live in poverty and have health problems. We are lucky to have a country that provides child benefits, however small that contribution might be, it is still something. What ten year old children in this country have to look after and feed their younger brothers and sisters? We have emergency services, in Nigeria it is absolutely okay for a terrorist organisation to take children away from their families at the age of eight to be trained to kill people. One young boy was made to shoot his mother in the head. I really think your living in a western bubble to be honest, open your eyes to how lucky we really are.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I totally agree with you to be honest. I wasn't suggesting that it's completely solvable, it's obviously not as there are so many different countries with different views and opinions, combine that with African corruption and it seems an impossible task. I am totally with you on the superficial western thing.
    I think its good your showing compassion, that's what the world needs. But you really need to change a lot of mindsets from top to bottom with the physical limits of the earth.

ReputationRep:
    I think its good your showing compassion, that's what the world needs. But you really need to change a lot of mindsets from top to bottom with the physical limits of the earth.
    I do agree with you, it's an unrealistic task, but maybe one day things will start to head in the right direction. We live in hope!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but again this is my point, this is a country that has support for people that go through acts of abuse, live in poverty and have health problems. We are lucky to have a country that provides child benefits, however small that contribution might be, it is still something. What ten year old children in this country have to look after and feed their younger brothers and sisters? We have emergency services, in Nigeria it is absolutely okay for a terrorist organisation to take children away from their families at the age of eight to be trained to kill people. One young boy was made to shoot his mother in the head. I really think your living in a western bubble to be honest, open your eyes to how lucky we really are.
    I've been to a school in rural South Africa where 75% of the children were orphans and 25% were HIV positive. I've seen kids sleeping on the streets in Durban and sniffing glue out of juice cartons to stop feeling the cold, so yes I've seen how awful life can be for some people in other parts of the world. I'm not saying things aren't better here for most people - of course they are - but your comments about charities supporting people in the UK suggest that you really don't understand that desperate poverty and social problems are not uncommon here, and that the government help you mention doesn't reach all those people who need it. Child benefits are no good if your parents are spending the money on heroin, for example.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion there is only 1 solution and that is birth control, not just in 3rd world countries but in every country. It wont be long if current population increase accelerates before all natural resources are strained. There is simply too many of us that are and will be living on this rock. If I were in charge of the world I would limit the number of children to 2 maximum each family. There is simply no reason you should require more than 2 healthy offspring, infact id argue you are harming the planet further the more children you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moregano)
    I've been to a school in rural South Africa where 75% of the children were orphans and 25% were HIV positive. I've seen kids sleeping on the streets in Durban and sniffing glue out of juice cartons to stop feeling the cold, so yes I've seen how awful life can be for some people in other parts of the world. I'm not saying things aren't better here for most people - of course they are - but your comments about charities supporting people in the UK suggest that you really don't understand that desperate poverty and social problems are not uncommon here, and that the government help you mention doesn't reach all those people who need it. Child benefits are no good if your parents are spending the money on heroin, for example.
    No offence, but I really do find that hard to believe considering what you have said. I did not say that every charity in the UK should be outsourcing to foreign countries, I was pointing out that certain places money goes to in this country could be better spent on providing basic living conditions to those that don't have them. You're right, but then again there are many agencies in this country that help children in those situations. I'm not taking anything away from the terrible things that happen in this country, I am saying that there is a difference between situations like that and being taken at the age of eight, being made to shoot your mother in the head and spending a lifetime with a weapon - or seeing your parents murdered and having to fend for you and your family from a very young age in disgusting conditions and no guarantee of safety, not to mention not being able to go to the authorities because of corruption.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.