Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

All the nightclubs are closing down. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently about a third of the nightclubs have closed in the past few years. Mainly because people can't afford to go out during the recession and are just staying at home drinking cheap supermarket cider and watching downloaded videos and surfing the internet.

Should we be sad about this? Or are nightclubs just old fashioned.

I envision a new place called a "pod-café" where people go to and sit in a pod with their friends and download videos while drinking a coffee or a beer served by robots. Maybe it will be the new place where people will meet each other. Probably communicating with people in other pods through instant messaging. The future sounds a bit sad.

Anyway, I think its sad that all the nightclubs are closing but in a way they are a bit rubbish and they open too long so you don't get much sleep. Whaddya reckon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    Apparently about a third of the nightclubs have closed in the past few years. Mainly because people can't afford to go out during the recession and are just staying at home drinking cheap supermarket cider and watching downloaded videos and surfing the internet.

Should we be sad about this? Or are nightclubs just old fashioned.

I envision a new place called a "pod-café" where people go to and sit in a pod with their friends and download videos while drinking a coffee or a beer served by robots. Maybe it will be the new place where people will meet each other. Probably communicating with people in other pods through instant messaging. The future sounds a bit sad.

Anyway, I think its sad that all the nightclubs are closing but in a way they are a bit rubbish and they open too long so you don't get much sleep. Whaddya reckon?

NO ONE HAS THE MONEH!

Especially the students. It's actually kinda funny. Personally, I've met more great, endearing people in Starbucks or a café than I ever have anywhere else.

The ones that go to nightclubs nowadays are just... dodgy.

ReputationRep:
    Nightclubs always seem full on student nights, I'm guessing ones away from unis will be more effected though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollateralElement)
    NO ONE HAS THE MONEH!

Especially the students. It's actually kinda funny. Personally, I've met more great, endearing people in Starbucks or a café than I ever have anywhere else.

The ones that go to nightclubs nowadays are just... dodgy.
    How does one meet people in a Starbucks? Are these people you already know or strangers?

In a nightclub it's considered socially acceptable to go up to someone of the opposite gender with the "Hey, how you doin'. What's your name?" Is it acceptable to do this in Starbucks? Also, I'm allergic to caffeine.

ReputationRep:
    For £15 pounds I can buy a bottle of nice bottle of Whisky and sit at home and get drunk with my friends without having to get a taxi, pay entrance fees, listen to music I don't like and get ripped off buying drinks. If someone wants a smoke they only need to walk a couple of feet to the back door and there is no chance of them being refused admission or kicked out by bouncers. A nightout these days can easily end up costing £50 when you include everything into it, and that money can be better spent buying my food shopping for at least a fortnight. When I gave up drinking this Lent I actually realised that amount of money I waste of booze is ridiculous.

Personally I think the nightclubs are struggling because people have less money to spend, students included. Where as in the past most nights out would end up in the club, I think people are now more inclined to visit a few pubs and go home early. When money is tight people can afford variety and a result might only go to the cheapest nightclub leaving the others suffering in return. I wouldn't say that they're old fashioned, drinking and trying to hit on strangers isn't likely to become a piece of the past soon and nor do I think the nightclub will ever die out even though its going through a rough patch at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suprised. The price they charge for drinks at most night clubs is absolutely absurd, not to mention the entrance fees (for those who charge one). It's crazy how much you can spend in one night.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.