Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Need some advice/help. Please. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'm 19 years old, turning 20 in November. It's been 1 year since I officially graduated high school and I still have no goals or any idea what I want to do or become in the future. I'm talking about pursuing a career which gives me a decent paying job. I was barely able to graduate high school. I have some sort of ADHD and problems in my sleep patterns. It was very hard to wake up for school during my high school years, which resulted in many truancies and failing grades. I never really had any friends during my high school years and was constantly picked on, made fun of, and bullied by almost everyone at every chance they got. I have always been short and a weakling so of course I was an easy target for people. I dropped out of my public high school in the fall of 2010 and starting doing an independent school study, where I did my homework at home and would turn it in every week to my teacher. This did sort of help me with my grades and catching up on my credits. I still didn't manage to graduate and earn my high school diploma in 2012. Since then I have literally been doing nothing but staying at home on the computer. I have no job, no car, no girlfriend, and no aspirations to achieve higher learning. I am constantly tired and drowsy no matter what time of day and seem to never be able to get enough sleep. I am currently living with my parents because they seem to sort of understand my situation. Why is my life like this? and how much longer will it continue to be this way? Can someone please help me and give me some advice. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to say this but the most popular form of hope is expecting something for nothing. None of us here on the internet can provide you with an answer to 'how much longer will it continue to be this way?' - all we can do is encourage and urge you to pick yourself up and try something new. Don't worry so much about trying to justify changing your life, (so many people are stationary worrying about trying to feel comfortable about doing something new when suddenly an opportunity flies by!) just do it if you feel the urge, and I know you do since you're clearly unhappy. The longer you let yourself dwell in this situation, the harder it will become to get out of it because oddly enough, it will become too comfortable and challenging it might take more courage than it would do now. Some of my friends have been in a similar situation. After the initial upset they applied for jobs and either retook certain exams or enrolled part-time at a college. There are many options for you and it's up to you to decide which one you're most interested in. You'll notice that once you take the first step, everything else will start to fall into place.

ReputationRep:
    anybody else want to give their opinion or some helpful advice?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandy K)
    I hate to say this but the most popular form of hope is expecting something for nothing. None of us here on the internet can provide you with an answer to 'how much longer will it continue to be this way?' - all we can do is encourage and urge you to pick yourself up and try something new. Don't worry so much about trying to justify changing your life, (so many people are stationary worrying about trying to feel comfortable about doing something new when suddenly an opportunity flies by!) just do it if you feel the urge, and I know you do since you're clearly unhappy. The longer you let yourself dwell in this situation, the harder it will become to get out of it because oddly enough, it will become too comfortable and challenging it might take more courage than it would do now. Some of my friends have been in a similar situation. After the initial upset they applied for jobs and either retook certain exams or enrolled part-time at a college. There are many options for you and it's up to you to decide which one you're most interested in. You'll notice that once you take the first step, everything else will start to fall into place.
    Quoted for truth.

(Original post by Jack Jordan)
    anybody else want to give their opinion or some helpful advice?

Just a quick question, do you smoke weed? Some of the things you've described are heavily indicative that you might be smoking it. In all blunt honesty, I don't think there's anything wrong with weed - when you're an adult and have your life in order. But smoking it when trying to get through education is a massive hindrance.

That aside, I've got some bad news. You're no longer a child in education. Throughout your life so far, everything has been catered to you, and everyone will have tried to help you as much as possible. But the very moment you left education, nobody is going to help you anymore. If you want anything out of your life now, you need to go and do it yourself.

It's a really shocking realisation, and I'm not being nasty, it's just the simple truth. Nobody is now going to provide your solution.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.