Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

People think I'm from Australia/NZ/South Africa... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Really random post, but people keep asking me where I'm from and they are always suprised when I say I'm from Britain (I don't want to say where exactly).

People ALWAYS comment on how they think I'm from Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. In my first year of university my house mates asked if I was going home to Australia for Christmas, random girls in night clubs ask if I'm from Australia/NZ/SA, customers I'm serving at work.

It doesn't annoy me one bit, and why should it, but the reason I'm posting is that I'm not really sure how to take it. I guess I do look like I'm from those places - blonde hair and slightly naturally tanned skin (which I guess people would naturally assume I'm not from Britain!). But the acent thing, I can't notice it myself but then again would I be able to. I've never been to any of these places.

How would you take it? Good thing/bad thing/neither/ or what?

ReputationRep:
    Gutted for you.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with having a Southern Hemisphere Accent, take it as a compliment although it annoys me that South African gets confused with Australian/NZ are they are pretty different. You said that you didn't want to say where you were from in Britain, but I would to know because that might explain why you are getting mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tu_es_jolie_x)
    Gutted for you.
    Are you being sarcastic. I'm serious, how would you take it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Nothing wrong with having a Southern Hemisphere Accent, take it as a compliment although it annoys me that South African gets confused with Australian/NZ are they are pretty different. You said that you didn't want to say where you were from in Britain, but I would to know because that might explain why you are getting mistaken.
    Really, why a compliment? I really don't know how to take it and I get it ALL the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    Really, why a compliment? I really don't know how to take it and I get it ALL the time.
    Australians and Kiwis are great people, and I'm South African so have a pretty good opinion about them too haha! Don't take it offensively, just smile and say you're from Britain nothing too get too worried over. People usually think I'm Polish, it does get annoying but a quick correction and everything is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, they say the same thing for me. South Africa, Australian, New Zealand, I too had USA and Canada. Not a clue why. I'm not blonde

ReputationRep:
    Huh. As a New Zealander, this is very interesting. Normally when I'm abroad people think I'm English (must be that accent I accidentally picked up at school) but I've never heard of it the other way around. Blond with a tan sounds more Australian/South African than Kiwi to me. I'd say just laugh it off. Do you have any foreign relatives (for example, is your mother Australian)? Can you post a voice recording? Do you use any unusual slang? Do you have a favourite product that is Australian/South African/from New Zealand? (I don't understand why your housemates would think you were Australian!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imayormaynotexist)
    Huh. As a New Zealander, this is very interesting. Normally when I'm abroad people think I'm English (must be that accent I accidentally picked up at school) but I've never heard of it the other way around. Blond with a tan sounds more Australian/South African than Kiwi to me. I'd say just laugh it off. Do you have any foreign relatives (for example, is your mother Australian)? Can you post a voice recording? Do you use any unusual slang? Do you have a favourite product that is Australian/South African/from New Zealand? (I don't understand why your housemates would think you were Australian!)
    haha, no family from abroad. Can't post voice recording, but if I had the equipment/know how I would. But as I say I get it all the time anyway, but the thing is I don't notice it. Some say I have quite a posh British accent but I do get the Aus/NZ/SA thing alot, like all the time.

No favourite products or anything from NZ/AUS/SA.
    It doesn't bother me as I said, I just don't really know how to take it or what to think of it.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh that's really odd then. No best friends who you might have picked up mannerisms or an accent from? I guess it's just one of life's little oddities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imayormaynotexist)
    Gosh that's really odd then. No best friends who you might have picked up mannerisms or an accent from? I guess it's just one of life's little oddities.
    Yeah it's really weird. As I said I don't notice it, or necessarily agree, but I literally get it at least once a month, sometimes alot more.

How would you take it. I mean it doesn't offend me lol, but it's just I'm not sure what to think of it?

ReputationRep:
    Are you being sarcastic. I'm serious, how would you take it?
    Serious. I don't like Australian people. I know its xenophobic and stupid, but it's true.

ReputationRep:
    i'd be offended if i was mistaken for an australian. Don't mind being mistaken for a kiwi or south african

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's really weird. As I said I don't notice it, or necessarily agree, but I literally get it at least once a month, sometimes alot more.

How would you take it. I mean it doesn't offend me lol, but it's just I'm not sure what to think of it?
    How would I take it? Hmm.... when I'm travelling I'll always get mistaken for American or English if I'm not speaking (probably just because I'm white travelling in Asia) and once I've spoken always for English. Usually I just correct people quickly and the conversation moves on to New Zealand.

In New Zealand I'm never mistaken for another nationality so I'm not sure how I'd take it if it happened recurringly. I'd probably just ask why in a non confrontational way. Maybe you could ask one of your housemates? They might provide some insight?

Have you ever been to Australia, New Zealand or South Africa? If so, did people immediately know you were English or did they think you were local?

ReputationRep:
    So, where exactly ARE you from then?

[And if you dont like the accent confusion, then learn to speak differently - or just get over it. I'm Anglo-Australian and have a feint accent - I too get stupid questions about where I come from. I dont however throw my toys out of the pram about it.]

Take it as a compliment, boys from NZ, Australia and S. Africa are normally considered attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    So, where exactly ARE you from then?

[And if you dont like the accent confusion, then learn to speak differently - or just get over it. I'm Anglo-Australian and have a feint accent - I too get stupid questions about where I come from. I dont however throw my toys out of the pram about it.]
    I've said several times in this thread that it doesn't offend me or bother me, including in the OP. I just said I don't know how to take it/what to think of it. So I'm not throwing my toys 'out of the pram', so calm down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamyourfather)
    Take it as a compliment, boys from NZ, Australia and S. Africa or normally considered attractive.
    I look like I have a bag of spanners for a face compared to my Saffa friends.

Just a mug to the guys here*

*(Note at no stage am I saying either nationality is hideous, just myself )

ReputationRep:
    Really random post, but people keep asking me where I'm from and they are always suprised when I say I'm from Britain (I don't want to say where exactly).

People ALWAYS comment on how they think I'm from Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. In my first year of university my house mates asked if I was going home to Australia for Christmas, random girls in night clubs ask if I'm from Australia/NZ/SA, customers I'm serving at work.

It doesn't annoy me one bit, and why should it, but the reason I'm posting is that I'm not really sure how to take it. I guess I do look like I'm from those places - blonde hair and slightly naturally tanned skin (which I guess people would naturally assume I'm not from Britain!). But the acent thing, I can't notice it myself but then again would I be able to. I've never been to any of these places.

How would you take it? Good thing/bad thing/neither/ or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm from SA and people tend to think I'm Dutch because of the accent. Nothing wrong with it, just a simple correction and then we tend to talk about South Africa. If you're mistaken for a Australian/South African or Kiwi, take it as a compliment because the guys over there tend to be extremely attractive.

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't offend me or bother me, I don't know how to take it/what to think of it.
    So, let me get this right.

The point of your OP was to ask us to tell you what 'to think' of other people's behaviour about your supposed accent ....?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.