Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Would you send your child to your old school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not, I went to a secondary school that basically made it near impossible for me to get onto the university course I wanted because I wasn't able to take A-level sciences after leaving there with no science GCSEs because they decided to scrap GCSE science and implement BTEC science, now BTECs can be good in some areas but GCSE equivalent BTEC science is terrible and no college would accept me for A-levels which led me to basically give up on my future and take a rubbish course at college that I hate and I now have to take a foundation year at uni just to catch up with people who have actually been taught science. I hate my old secondary school for what they did to my education...and that's not even the half of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesTheCool)
    Well I swear to God, the girl I liked was the opposite sex version of me.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Preferably not. It was full of bullies and thugs... I'd quite like any children of mine to enjoy their childhood

ReputationRep:
    I have always gone to catholic schools, but I myself am not a catholic. I don't think I would send my child to a faith school as I would like them to be able to start off life without a religion and, if they later choose to be religious, they then can. If not, then they don't have to pray and go to mass at school.

The school itself and the teaching was great, though (no doubt thanks to its small size), so I would strive to find a similar school for my child, as I would like them to have a great start in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I could send my children to the secondary school I went to, however, it's been gone for 3 years now, so they'd find a hospital and gym there instead.

ReputationRep:
    primary yes, secondary maybe not. hard to say.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be fundamentally opposed to it. It's a decent school, one of the better state schools in the area. Used to be pretty rough and badly funded but new headteacher sorted that out. Parents evenings would be funny, talking to the teachers who taught me, though a lot of them have already retired/moved/died.

ReputationRep:
    No. Complete piece of **** school, if you were smart enough to get Cs they didn't give a **** about your education. The results I got are down to my parents and myself, nothing to do with the ****hole school.

My college however, yes. Absolutely brilliant. Had to travel 35 miles a day to get there, but still, incredible support, incredible teachers, lovely atmosphere

ReputationRep:
    No way! My school has the worst teachers with the worst personalities. Also, the people are really, really bad.
    I think I will spare my child the torture of what I went through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imayormaynotexist)
    This question came up in my group of friends (most of whom attended the same attached primary) and the answers were very interesting and, I felt, a good measure of how well the school dealt with various types of people.

Clearly, not everyone will be able to send their children to the same schools they went to even if they wanted to (money, living in different areas, etc) but hypothetically, if you could, would you?

If yes, why? If no, why not? What type of school would you prefer?

Edit: Also, what type of school did you go to?
    No, not that particular school. I went to an all girls private. The teaching was good, but the girls were so up themselves, none of them actually lived on Earth.
    I'd send them to a mixed school, but still with good teachers and grades etc.

ReputationRep:
    Would send to my old primary but not to secondary.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely to my high school - it has been just exceptional for me and has a real community feel.

Definitely to my primary school - only 50 pupils, traditional village school, maypole dancing etc, really lovely idyllic feel.

Not sure about my middle school - was an excellent school, but I had a shaky time there.

ReputationRep:
    Primary school - not sure
    Secondary school - definitely so

That being said, I don't think I'd be living around that area all my life either

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I went to school abroad, hell no .

But with all seriousness, my old school was awful, with only one humanities subject only for Years 9/10 (Sociology) and with most teachers being merely competent. There was no careers advice and no background on why any of our subjects mattered in the real world. As a minor point, the teachers/supervisors did hit us on occasion, but we all saw it as a bit of a joke more than anything. After all, physical pain means nothing when compared to psychological pain!

ReputationRep:
    I think I would if my old school stays at the same standard it currently is. I just went to a comprehensive school but it was one of the better ones in the area. I avoided my local comp and got the bus to school everyday instead to go to a better school.
    I always enjoyed all the opportunities I had at that school. Although this is from the perspective of someone who was in top sets most of the time so I had pretty well behaved classes and good teachers. Had I been in a different steam or lower sets I may give a different answer, I don't know how good the school is from that side of things. Hopefully just as good, but from personal experience I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    God no.

It was a good school, but I think going to a single sex school messes you up for life a bit. It's weird and not at all natural and I would never do that to my kids ^^

ReputationRep:
    I attended a state primary school and a state grammar school for both years 7-11 and 6th form. If I lived in the area when I have kids, I would definitely send them to my primary school , but with my secondary and 6th form school I would let them choose where they want go,and, if they choose to go there, I would be happy as I think that the school was great and I wouldn't be as confident as I am and may not have had the same opportunities if I hadn't gone there.

ReputationRep:
    Lot of things change in time. I won't send my child to a school just because I attended it. Whatever is the best for place them to study, they will study there.

ReputationRep:
    Primary scholl; yes, it's still one of the best in the area. Secondary school: No, the fees have gone up massively and the standard has dropped, I feel my kids could get a better education elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a grammar school and hated it! Teachers put us down all the time, they had favourites and treated the rest of us like crap, it was so *****y cos it was all girls, everyone would turn bi and lesbian because there were no boys there, a few of the male teachers we suspected were pedos and teachers would force us to resit our As to get A*s, hence waste more money and time.

Some of my friends who went to a normal comp school got the same/even better GCSEs than me so it was a pointless 5 years. I do not want to put my kids through that too. Id send em to a comp to toughen up, but also make em work hard BUT send them to a grammar sixth form (cos A levels are important and determine your future career ultimately)

However if they really wanted to go to a grammar school, Id be like okay, that's fine, up to you.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.