The Student Room Group

Will I get work in the media?

I want to work in the media but I don't know which course to take to give myself the best chance of working when I graduate. I'm less interested in the course content and more interested in whether I will end up being employed at the end of it!

Does anyone else think like this and if so are you choosing a course on that basis? Does anyone know what University is best if you want to get work? And I'd be really interested to know how people rate their chances of getting work after they leave whatever University they're choosing?

All opinions welcome!
I can't really tell you what course is best. Some degrees such as History are great for research, and -as I have been told at numerous open days/applicant days- many have gone into fact finding for TV shows and made their way up.

Saying that, one of my cousins studied media and now works on set for a popular ITV Saturday night show. But then again, my sister also did a similar degree and now works in management and resourcing.

The best thing you can do is realise what you want to do, and then look into how you're going to get there. Work experience is key and will help you a lot on the way. Any questions, quote me.
Reply 2
I'm going to study Media Communication in September in Bath Spa. I couldn't really say how employable anyone will be after the degree but it's what you make of it. I went on work experience last year in Doha, Qatar to work with a TV company and had an amazing time. I was pretty much guaranteed a job but I wanted to go to University first to make sure I had something to fall back on. I think in this industry it's more about making contacts and getting to know people rather than if you've got a degree or not. Hope this helps you somehow! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by EloiseStar
I can't really tell you what course is best. Some degrees such as History are great for research, and -as I have been told at numerous open days/applicant days- many have gone into fact finding for TV shows and made their way up.

Saying that, one of my cousins studied media and now works on set for a popular ITV Saturday night show. But then again, my sister also did a similar degree and now works in management and resourcing.

The best thing you can do is realise what you want to do, and then look into how you're going to get there. Work experience is key and will help you a lot on the way. Any questions, quote me.

What do you think about entering in writing journalism with Comm. and Media degree
Original post by kami
What do you think about entering in writing journalism with Comm. and Media degree

Depends on what you want to do. Unfortunately I am not an expert in media and communications (or even journalism for that matter). So probably best finding somebody who has taken that degree and knows a little more.
Reply 5
In answer to your question, no University is better than any other in terms of the chances of future employment in the industry. There may be small variations but ultimately your degree (if it is a media related one) and what you learn on it is pretty much worthless when you start applying for jobs.

It's all about the experience you have at the end of the day and you will learn more about the real world of TV production in the first week of a job in the industry than you will in the three years you spend studying. Worth thinking about before you hand over that £27,000...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending