Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Any grads from the year 2010 still not in permanent employment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title, any grads from the year 2010 still not in perm employment? I've only been able to get temp jobs (nothing perm). I've had 2 temp jobs, a course in pc maintenance and am doing voluntary maths tutoring every weekend. That's my last 2.5 years right there. :eek:

Finding it nigh impossible to get a permanent job/onto any grad scheme. I got 4A's at a-level and a 2:1 in geophysics from ucl and 9A/A*'s at GCSE. Seriously thinking about emigrating somewhere with better job prospects - the UK is awful :eek:

P.S. before you jump on the "you think you're too good for normal jobs" bandwagon, I've been rejected from ASDA, cleaning jobs, and a host of jobs from across the spectrum. The only job interviews i'm getting are for data admin jobs for which i have 2 years experience, but even then...when they find out i have a geophysics degree they don't want me!

ReputationRep:
    so, everyone who graduated in 2010 has a permanent job?

ReputationRep:
    What about applying to accounting/finance jobs/civil service , what fields are you looking at
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    so, everyone who graduated in 2010 has a permanent job?
    Yes, the fact that nobody replied within half an hour on a Sunday morning is definitive. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daindian)
    What about applying to accounting/finance jobs/civil service , what fields are you looking at
    i got rejected from a few finance/accountancy jobs and my heart doesnt really lie there so not really seriously applying. As for civil service, there are no jobs on the civil service website i seem experienced enough for.

Looking into pretty much any field but concentrating on energy sector, catastrophe modelling and data entry/admin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i got rejected from a few finance/accountancy jobs and my heart doesnt really lie there so not really seriously applying. As for civil service, there are no jobs on the civil service website i seem experienced enough for.

Looking into pretty much any field but concentrating on energy sector, catastrophe modelling and data entry/admin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For cat modelling, have you tried RMS? You need to demonstrate that you know the industry and have set your heart on it.

What sort of permanent jobs are you looking to go into?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dark_vadar_4321)
    For cat modelling, have you tried RMS? You need to demonstrate that you know the industry and have set your heart on it.

What sort of permanent jobs are you looking to go into?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i know enough about cat modelling but i dont have contacts in the industry an it is a "very old boys network" as my friend who's dad is an actuary told me. He dad got her a job. Unfortunately i have no such contacts being a carpenters son and all :eek:

been mainly trying cat modelling and a job as a petroleum geophysicist/geoscientist or related role to no avail. I cant get a job as i don have experience but i cant get experience because i dont have a job. Hell people wont even let me work for tem for free so i can get some experience! The world is conspiring against me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i know enough about cat modelling but i dont have contacts in the industry an it is a "very old boys network" as my friend who's dad is an actuary told me. He dad got her a job. Unfortunately i have no such contacts being a carpenters son and all :eek:

been mainly trying cat modelling and a job as a petroleum geophysicist/geoscientist or related role to no avail. I cant get a job as i don have experience but i cant get experience because i dont have a job. Hell people wont even let me work for tem for free so i can get some experience! The world is conspiring against me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you secured any interview?

I had an interview in this field when I was at uni. I did a maths degree though. So you definitely stand a chance

I remember they were interested in my R / winbug programming skills and bayesian stat knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2009 right here I have lost all hope

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, from your posts you seem all over the shop with your life direction, probably a turn off for most employers.

With those grades you should be able to get though the door at most big corporate firms, beyond then its up to you.

ReputationRep:
    As the title, any grads from the year 2010 still not in perm employment? I've only been able to get temp jobs (nothing perm). I've had 2 temp jobs, a course in pc maintenance and am doing voluntary maths tutoring every weekend. That's my last 2.5 years right there. :eek:

Finding it nigh impossible to get a permanent job/onto any grad scheme. I got 4A's at a-level and a 2:1 in geophysics from ucl and 9A/A*'s at GCSE. Seriously thinking about emigrating somewhere with better job prospects - the UK is awful :eek:

P.S. before you jump on the "you think you're too good for normal jobs" bandwagon, I've been rejected from ASDA, cleaning jobs, and a host of jobs from across the spectrum. The only job interviews i'm getting are for data admin jobs for which i have 2 years experience, but even then...when they find out i have a geophysics degree they don't want me!
    Since you want to work abroad why don't you teach English in non-English speaking countries.There is plenty of opportunities to teach English and all they care is that you are a native English speaker.

ReputationRep:

4A and from UCL....there must be something wrong with you...Maybe people don't like you as a person, maybe you lack charm.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep applying and you will find something

ReputationRep:
    You've said you are trying to get into data entry/admin as well but it's difficult situation too Have you considered any training courses or volunteering to increase your chances? Emigrating somewhere else won't ease the situation as probably it's similar everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    You've said you are trying to get into data entry/admin as well but it's difficult situation too Have you considered any training courses or volunteering to increase your chances? Emigrating somewhere else won't ease the situation as probably it's similar everywhere.
    i'm stumped. I'm all ears. What kind of training? I'm making speculative internship enquiries, voluntary maths tutoring, but just getting nowhere. Got to a few final round cat modelling interviews but nothing more than that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i'm stumped. I'm all ears. What kind of training? I'm making speculative internship enquiries, voluntary maths tutoring, but just getting nowhere. Got to a few final round cat modelling interviews but nothing more than that

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Like finding training providers who could provide free training, I only know few ones but they do require you to be getting JSA Maybe volunteer for admin positions? Or take upon an internship in admin field? You could try looking on http://www.internwise.co.uk/ for internships in admin or any other ones

ReputationRep:

Bro take £1000 fly to UAE. Hustle for 2 months and try to get a job. Stay somewhere cheap 5 in a room if needed. Thats my advice. Dont bother applying online.Your degree is excellent.

And PS be positive I know its tough but your still young plenty of time to find your feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    Like finding training providers who could provide free training, I only know few ones but they do require you to be getting JSA Maybe volunteer for admin positions? Or take upon an internship in admin field? You could try looking on http://www.internwise.co.uk/ for internships in admin or any other ones
    i dont' see the point of doing interns for admin positions because i've worked in telesales, and two data admin jobs and as an analyst. If I do an intern in this field again it'll be like slave labour (if i work for free), cos i deffo won't be doing it for the experience. I'm looking for work experience in the energy sector. I'm more than willing to work for free in a job that would provide me with some exposure to oil and gas jobs, but those douche bags in the sector won't give me a chance, not even to work for them for free! LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethnals)
    Bro take £1000 fly to UAE. Hustle for 2 months and try to get a job. Stay somewhere cheap 5 in a room if needed. Thats my advice. Dont bother applying online.Your degree is excellent.

And PS be positive I know its tough but your still young plenty of time to find your feet.
    this looks like an intresting option. One of my friends went to dubai because she couldn't get a job out here. If I could stand a reasonable chance of getting an oil job in uae i'd disappear there tomorrow! I've got enough money to get there and stay comfortably for a few months, but if i don't get a job (which is what i'm worried about), it'd be money down the drain! Got any insider info on any Oil and Gas companies that are open to recruiting grads out there?

edit: i just contacted a friend who's recently moved out to the middle east. Will see what she says about job opportunities out there. Deffo interested in moving out there if there is a chance i can get a job out there . worst comes to worst - can make a holiday out of it haha!

ReputationRep:
    this looks like an intresting option. One of my friends went to dubai because she couldn't get a job out here. If I could stand a reasonable chance of getting an oil job in uae i'd disappear there tomorrow! I've got enough money to get there and stay comfortably for a few months, but if i don't get a job (which is what i'm worried about), it'd be money down the drain! Got any insider info on any Oil and Gas companies that are open to recruiting grads out there?

edit: i just contacted a friend who's recently moved out to the middle east. Will see what she says about job opportunities out there. Deffo interested in moving out there if there is a chance i can get a job out there . worst comes to worst - can make a holiday out of it haha!
    Nope No insider info. Thats exactly what I'm going to do when i finish.

Im 100% sure you will find something in two months even if it is just temp or to pay bills whilst you look for something long term. Do not apply online unless its something you really want to do. Just go direct to every company there and also buy the daily English newspapers with job adverts. Also comapnies sometimes hold a number of open invitation interviews.

Your fully qualified with some work experience. 10x better than staying in England applying for jobs which you can do with your eyes closed and still getting rejections.

Take the plunge

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.