Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    how do you work out a question if it said find ff(x), like the question in the C3 paper january 2013 q)3)a)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Hey guys, I was just wondering if I was aiming for an A*, is it worth doing C3/C4 solomon papers? This has probably been asked to death, but I've seen a lot of mixed replies! And if it is worth doing, should I do all or just some?
    i've done the C3 papers, and honestly it has made me a lot more confident with the weaker parts in C3 for me, so if you have a topic you are weak at, look through for it in the soloman papers, dont waste your time on question you 100% know you can do. then do some exam papers as they will give you a hint of what the real exam is like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryboy94)
    i've done the C3 papers, and honestly it has made me a lot more confident with the weaker parts in C3 for me, so if you have a topic you are weak at, look through for it in the soloman papers, dont waste your time on question you 100% know you can do. then do some exam papers as they will give you a hint of what the real exam is like.
    Hmm yeah good idea, I've always thought doing all of the questions was a bit long winded...I think I'll just pick out questions from now on. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryboy94)
    how do you work out a question if it said find ff(x), like the question in the C3 paper january 2013 q)3)a)
    It means the function of the f(-3), so first find f(-3); f(-3) means the y-value when x=-3, which it gives you as it tells you point P is (-3,0), so f(-3)=0.

So you're finding f(0) (the y value when x=0) which it also gives you as it tells you point Q is (0,2). Therefore ff(-3)=2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Elmwood papers are probably the most difficult, they can be found here: http://www.london-oratory.org/maths/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AVB)
    It means the function of the f(-3), so first find f(-3); f(-3) means the y-value when x=-3, which it gives you as it tells you point P is (-3,0), so f(-3)=0.

So you're finding f(0) (the y value when x=0) which it also gives you as it tells you point Q is (0,2). Therefore ff(-3)=2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ahhh okayy brilliantly explained, thank you

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if we're supposed to know how to use the factor formulae thing?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by nukethemaly)
    Does anyone know if we're supposed to know how to use the factor formulae thing?
    You don't need to, no, but I strongly recommend that you learn it (it's not that hard anyway). It can be very useful for some questions. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me out with a question:
    How would you differentiate (8-x)lnx
    I did: 8lnx-xlnx and got: 8/x - lnx - 1, why is this wrong? I used the product rule on xlnx and just differentiated 8lnx like how you would normally.

This is from C3 January 2011 question 5b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    You don't need to, no, but I strongly recommend that you learn it (it's not that hard anyway). It can be very useful for some questions. :yep:
    But it isn't going to come up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    pretty sure you were a guy?

ReputationRep:
    you might need it for integration, you never know with Edexcel they might put a nasty question

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to learn it, you can just derive it from the formulae in the formulae booklet should you need it for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    no guarantee but I really hope not
    alongside arctanx, arcsinx etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedMed12)
    no guarantee but I really hope not
    alongside arctanx, arcsinx etc
    ah I hate that, I'm planning on doing every question in the textbook on that section tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadecross)
    Can someone help me out with a question:
    How would you differentiate (8-x)lnx
    I did: 8lnx-xlnx and got: 8/x - lnx - 1, why is this wrong? I used the product rule on xlnx and just differentiated 8lnx like how you would normally.

This is from C3 January 2011 question 5b
    can someone help me with this question?

ReputationRep:
    you might need it for integration, you never know with Edexcel they might put a nasty question
    Oh dear I thought it was C3?

ReputationRep:
    ah I hate that, I'm planning on doing every question in the textbook on that section tomorrow!
    blergh i dont have time with bio and chem :/ might examsolutions it

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me with question?
    Yeah sure, give me a second to do it on a piece of paper and then i'll attach the solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedMed12)
    blergh i dont have time with bio and chem :/ might examsolutions it
    ah same, I still have about 6 more exams, 4 of which are chemistry and biology! But I'm really hoping to get an A* in Maths so I'm not gonna risk anything!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.