Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone please estimate my grade for AS and what I would need in A2 to get an A overall?

C1 : 62/75
    C2 : 69/75
    S1 : 62/75

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Game time.

Think it's time for me to do some work. I'll warm up with

C3: June 2011, Jan 12, June 12.

Then do some Chem and Phys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    whaaaaaat, your a girl? :eek::eek: in under 10 seconds i find out you and usycool are girls :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    Game time.

how you finding phya4 !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanse21)
    Hi, can someone please estimate my grade for AS and what I would need in A2 to get an A overall?

C1 : 62/75
    C2 : 69/75
    S1 : 62/75

Thanks.
    thats definitely A overall unless the boundaries are crazily high! so aim for similar marks in A2 papers. However, once you get your UMS on results day you might find you can drop some UMS at A2 and get away with a high B, as your C2 will definitely get you some bonus UMS. All depends on boundaries now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryboy94)
    how you finding phya4 !!!!!
    I'm on OCR, but now that my Maths is better Physics has become pretty much like Maths i.e. I don't have to Prep Myself too much before I do an Exam.

1. Qualitative Stuff - You just have to know it off the back of your hand. Look at all the Markschemes to get a vague idea of the marks they give.

You can't fluff anything here, ideally get anything you can marked by a Teacher for Qualitative stuff.

You may think your great at the Qualitative Answers then a Teacher will mark one and tell you you're not up to scratch.

2. Everything else is just like Maths.

See a Problem, think of a few things, then refer to the Datasheet on everything you do; because Physics is very Synoptic.

I.e. there are some definitions they might throw at you from AS, but you can pretty much deduce it from the Datasheet.

I.e. What is the Definition of EMF, Datasheet says something like W=QV (off the top of my head), I think to myself, Emf is basically Voltage, re-arrange, Electromotive Force is the Work done per Unit Charge.

You are already good at Maths so once you realise Physics is exactly the same your marks will just jump. For Phys 5 my average is around 90/100 First time round. I don't know how. Then Physics 4 (for us that is Newtonian World) I still have alot of past papers only sitting on 2 A's atm.

ReputationRep:
    Game time.

have you done Unit 5 chem paper Jan 11?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedMed12)
    have you done Unit 5 chem paper Jan 11?
    I did it like a Week ago but got 86/100 first time round...If you need help on anything throw me a note on the Chem 5 Forum.

My Past paper should be lying under the pile of my chemistry papers.

Think I may re-do it actually, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    I did it like a Week ago but got 86/100 first time round...If you need help on anything throw me a note on the Chem 5 Forum.

I got 85 okay thank you!! finished them all? i have 4 to go including the jan paper again

ReputationRep:

apparently my 85 was full ums so you got that too!

ReputationRep:
    I got 85 okay thank you!! finished them all? i have 4 to go including the jan paper again
    Yeah I've finished all of them once; re-doing them now.

Thankfully alot of people helped me out. My AS understanding of Ionic Equations and Mols was just horrendous before.

I really do feel sorry for anyone who hasn't worked for this Exam. It is going to be very very challenging. My Chem Teacher went to a Top 5 Uni. I've seen him virtually everyday this week, alongside my Physics Teacher.

Everyone else has pretty much thought Study Leave was some type of Holiday.....I just went to school anyway.

But time for me to work, thanks for the motivation!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've finished all of them once; re-doing them now.

Thankfully alot of people helped me out. My AS understanding of Ionic Equations and Mols was just horrendous before.

I really do feel sorry for anyone who hasn't worked for this Exam. It is going to be very very challenging. My Chem Teacher went to a Top 5 Uni. I've seen him virtually everyday this week, alongside my Physics Teacher.

Everyone else has pretty much thought Study Leave was some type of Holiday.....I just went to school anyway.

ahh i still lose one or two on the calc, but hopefully its just practice now
    why do you say that? thats scarying me D: My teacher keeps saying its going to be hard etc but she knows people might slack in my class, but I hope its nothing like Jan D: need to seen june 2012 to get an idea :/ scary times :/
    I went in 2 days, just been revising at home now. I think its the calc they can get big on really.

ReputationRep:
    ahh i still lose one or two on the calc, but hopefully its just practice now
    why do you say that? thats scarying me D: My teacher keeps saying its going to be hard etc but she knows people might slack in my class, but I hope its nothing like Jan D: need to seen june 2012 to get an idea :/ scary times :/
    I went in 2 days, just been revising at home now. I think its the calc they can get big on really.
    Open the Spoiler for my Essay time for me to work.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Go to the January 2013 Examination Reports.

Because The Conservative Government Scrapped the January Modules, and are attempting to make the UK Education System compete with pretty much just Asia/India, the Exams will jump up in difficulty.

OCR is the Hardest Exam Board for all Subjects, and OCR Chemistry is approved by Glaxosmith Klein.

They Exam Reports specificially stated they are trying to add more Stretch and Challenge Questions. For those who really don't know their Chemistry inside out, or even don't have confidence in their problem solving skills it will be hard to do well.

I personally think a B grade student will score a C/D Grade in a Paper that involves a lot of Stretch and Challenge Questions. And if they lack confidence/have poor Exam technique, it is easy for a B grade student to get an D/E. Which Happened to 50% of my class, even the students with AAA Uni offers.

Where as an A* Student may score 80-90, and the Boundaries Skew them to a perfect 150/150 UMS Score.

Work time for me Let's do this

This is primarily why I created all these Threads - if you look at the people who are replying some of them have done like 4 Mock Exams in class, and got it marked by Teachers. Some schools are better at Preparing Students to get A*s, its not really about intelligence at all.

So hopefully I can continue to work and crank out some quality grades.

My Teacher said: It's is supposed to be challenging, your not supposed to just waltz in and get 100% in a Chem 5 Exam. Even if you are a very good student, you should just be showing that you know how to work out the problem and then you should be able to score around 85-95 without too many difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the January 2013 Examination Reports.

Because The Conservative Government Scrapped the January Modules, and are attempting to make the UK Education System compete with pretty much just Asia/India, the Exams will jump up in difficulty.

OCR is the Hardest Exam Board for all Subjects, and OCR Chemistry is approved by Glaxosmith Klein.

They Exam Reports specificially stated they are trying to add more Stretch and Challenge Questions. For those who really don't know their Chemistry inside out, or even don't have confidence in their problem solving skills it will be hard to do well.

I personally think a B grade student will score a C/D Grade in a Paper that involves a lot of Stretch and Challenge Questions.

Where as an A* Student may score 80-90, and the Boundaries Skew them to a perfect 150/150 UMS Score.

Work time for me Let's do this

*faints* why didn't I know this? D: ahhh they should give a sample paper atleast, it just makes the past papers a waste of time (well misleading)like the 2002-2008 papers are hardly helpful as it was recall and you got marks for stating stuff like the kw formula which you dont get now at all!!

:/ I guess everyone is in the same boat then so its fair.

yeah he/she is right! If I can get full ums and haven't done THAT much thorough revision, then there must be thousands of others who can...now to get cracking into the hard stretch and challenge questions of the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys if you had x^2 -2 / x^2+2x-3 how would you do this using the (ax +b) method, basically forming and solving simultaneous equations?

As usually you would do (x^2-2) * (????) + r = x^2+2x-3.

How do you figure out what the other bracket is for improper fractions like this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    Hey guys if you had x^2 -2 / x^2+2x-3 how would you do this using the (ax +b) method, basically forming and solving simultaneous equations?

How do you figure out what the other bracket is for improper fractions like this?
    Huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)

\dfrac{x^2 -2}{x^2+2x-3} = \dfrac{x^2+2x-3-2x+1}{x^2+2x-3} = 1 - \dfrac{2x-1}{x^2+2x-3}

ReputationRep:
    to anyone else feeling glum today, hope these make you smile/laugh they did for me
    Name:  994188_553621588021999_1375870799_n.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  9.1 KBName:  320972_536578976363118_620069205_n.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  22.8 KBName:  enhanced-buzz-31054-1344996187-6.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  187.7 KBName:  enhanced-buzz-31667-1344994297-6.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  192.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    \dfrac{x^2 -2}{x^2+2x-3} = \dfrac{x^2+2x-3-2x+1}{x^2+2x-3} = 1 - \dfrac{2x-1}{x^2+2x-3}
    Thank you for the reply, I am still a little unsure about last part?

So you would not use the normal method of finding of equating coeffecients?

Did you just bring the denominator on top and and then try to make it equal to the original numerator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    Thank you for the reply, I am still a little unsure about last part?

So you would not use the normal method of finding of equating coeffecients?

Did you just bring the denominator on top and and then try to make it equal to the original numerator?
    If you did:

(x^2 -2 ) \times Q(x) + R = x^2 + 2x -3

Surely it's simple enough to see that Q(x)=1 and R = 2x-1 ? Especially since the numerator and denominator have the same power of x.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.