The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Only done 3-4 past papers in the last week, lets see how this goes but I can't see why it can't be 100 UMS as I know all the content, just need to keep my cool in this exam :tongue:
Original post by tsr1
c3- jan 2007 -question 8iia)

given that: y= arcosx

-1 < x 1 and 0 y pi

express arcsin in terms of y

can anyone help with this? really stuck.. thanks

http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths-papers/worked-solution/worked-solution.php?paper_id=33&solution=8.2
Original post by Tendael
Is there a link between ff(x) and f-1(x)?

I ask, because on solomon paper it asks you to find out ff(x) and then says HENCE find out f-1(x) which turns out to be equal to f(x).

f(x) =( 2x-3)/(x-2)

Anyone got an idea?

You'll find that ff(x)=x

In general, you have:

f(a)=b  f1(b)=af(a) = b \ \Rightarrow \ f^{-1}(b) = a

In your case, if we let f(x)=a, we'd have:

f(x)=af(x) = a

f(f(x))=x  f(a)=xf(f(x)) = x \ \Rightarrow \ f(a) = x

Thus it can be deduced that f(x)=f1(x)f(x) = f^{-1}(x)
Reply 3024
Original post by MathsNerd1
Only done 3-4 past papers in the last week, lets see how this goes but I can't see why it can't be 100 UMS as I know all the content, just need to keep my cool in this exam :tongue:

Im ready for this exam too, but keeping your cool is always a failure, sometimes panicing and getting stressed. Lets hope this doesn't happen!
Original post by joereed
Im ready for this exam too, but keeping your cool is always a failure, sometimes panicing and getting stressed. Lets hope this doesn't happen!

Lets ace this!! And just take some deep breaths before starting and if you start to panic just take some more, also leave any questions you can't do until the end so they don't stress you out and make sure you're mentally and physically prepared, so get a good nights rest is vital for success and so is staying hydrated in the exam! Then just take it slowly and read everything through extremely carefully to make sure you don't make any silly errors :smile: Good luck for tomorrow! :biggrin:
Original post by jadecross
how do you differentiate a harder question such as:
Unparseable latex formula:

e^x^l^n^a

can you differentiate this? :redface: (this is just made up btw)

i think if it was lnx rather than a then yeah you could, product rule though!
Original post by Tendael
It's the same as the original, so f(x)=f-1(x). I just thought there might be a link between ff(x) and f-1(x) since it says "hence" and also it was only 1 mark

The relationship would be that ff1(x)ff^{-1}(x)=x. You could just see it as though the ff and the f1f^{-1} cancel out, leaving x on its own.

So in this case, as f(x)=f1(x)f(x)=f^{-1}(x), you know that ff(x)=ff1(x)=xff(x)=ff^{-1}(x)=x.
has there been any arcsin Qs after 2008 ?
Hey can someone please reply to this, thanks :smile:

Original post by posthumus
Hi there guys :smile: I just need some quick confirmation here :tongue: ...

y=|f(x)|
always reflect everything at the bottom of the x axis to the top

y=f(|x|)
always reflect everything on the right to the left side of the y axis.

Also if there are other translations included & stretches... the order in which you carry them out don't really matter does it ? :smile:

Thanks !
Reply 3030
Lets ace this!! And just take some deep breaths before starting and if you start to panic just take some more, also leave any questions you can't do until the end so they don't stress you out and make sure you're mentally and physically prepared, so get a good nights rest is vital for success and so is staying hydrated in the exam! Then just take it slowly and read everything through extremely carefully to make sure you don't make any silly errors :smile: Good luck for tomorrow! :biggrin:

I took S1, was fine. Now C3, hopefully its going to be fine, but then we come to C4, a bitch of a paper! Just got to try and gain as many marks in C3 as possible!
Hey can someone please reply to this, thanks :smile:

Okay when it's |f(x)| I just see it as you can't have any negative y values and yeah what you've said is correct :smile:
Reply 3032
Original post by Mathletic

unfortunately no, is it due? I sincerely hope not!
Original post by joereed

Me too!!!
Original post by joereed

It will be due but just remember they are reflections in line y=x so it's not too hard really
How do you find the domain and range of reciprocal functions?!
Hi there guys :smile: I just need some quick confirmation here :tongue: ...

y=|f(x)|
always reflect everything at the bottom of the x axis to the top

y=f(|x|)
always reflect everything on the right to the left side of the y axis.

Also if there are other translations included & stretches... the order in which you carry them out don't really matter does it ? :smile:

Thanks !

Yeah that's correct. If there's more than one transformation, you usually follow BIDMAS I think...

Hah same here. If you get stressed with a question, just stop and think - it's maths, everything makes logical sense, you just have to figure it out. I might have difficulty taking my own advice though :tongue:

Original post by Mathletic

No... But I bet people have been saying "an arcsin question is due now!!" every exam session since like, 2009 :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3037
I have one major problem with root question,

Jan 2013 Q.2 C

correct to 3 decimal places, but that just isn't possible ? can I leave answer in standard form ?
Original post by thelion0
How do you find the domain and range of reciprocal functions?!

Generally, the domain would be everything except for the value that makes the denominator equal 0, and the range would be anything other than 0.

Of course, it can depend on additional information given in the question as well.
Find the exact value of x such that

3arctan (x-2) + pi =0

Please can someone explain how this would be solved. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending