Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    It's just the ratio of of the length and height of the triangle, it doesn't represent any physical quantity. But because the two triangles are mathematically similar, it gives us an extra equation we can use.

Do you remember doing similar triangles at GCSE?
    I did IGCSE, I dont remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    I did IGCSE, I dont remember

You know the two triangles he used in the cone, they would have both had the same angles wouldn't they, just different length sides.

That means that in both triangles, the value of tan{\theta} would be the same (to produce same angle). This means that r/h is the same in both triangles (as tan{\theta}=\dfrac{o}{a}).

ReputationRep:
    You know the two triangles he used in the cone, they would have both had the same angles wouldn't they, just different length sides.

That means that in both triangles, the value of tan{\theta} would be the same (to produce same angle). This means that r/h is the same in both triangles (as tan{\theta}=\dfrac{o}{a}).
    Ok why tan and not sin or cos?sorry about this

ReputationRep:
    Ok why tan and not sin or cos?sorry about this
    I think you could probably use either, it's just that you had information about the height and the radius already, so it would have been more work to find out the length of the hypotenuse.

ReputationRep:
    I think you could probably use either, it's just that you had information about the height and the radius already, so it would have been more work to find out the length of the hypotenuse.
    OK ill try and doing more questions!

A curve has equation 7x2+48xy−7y2+75=0. A and B are two distinct points on the curve and at each of these points the gradient of the curve is equal to 211. Use implicit differentiation to show that x+2y=0 at the points A and B.

this question here I did

96x-28y = -528y-154 x
    but some how does not lead to the correct solution?

ReputationRep:
    OK ill try and doing more questions!

A curve has equation 7x2+48xy−7y2+75=0. A and B are two distinct points on the curve and at each of these points the gradient of the curve is equal to 211. Use implicit differentiation to show that x+2y=0 at the points A and B.

this question here I did

96x-28y = -528y-154 x
    but some how does not lead to the correct solution?
    Is the 211 supposed to 2/11?

Also, from what you have:

96x - 28y = -528y - 154x

If you bring both the x and y terms to one side of the equation, you get:

250x + 500y = 0

\therefore x + 2y = 0 at A and B.

ReputationRep:
    Is the 211 supposed to 2/11?

Also, from what you have:

96x - 28y = -528y - 154x

If you bring both the x and y terms to one side of the equation, you get:

250x + 500y = 0

\therefore x + 2y = 0 at A and B.
    Oh so I was doing it correctly! thanks ++Reps

ReputationRep:
    Hello, including solomon, elmwood and current papers how many papers are there to do for a) C3 and for b) C4? I am doing both in the summer and just need to make a revision plan. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello do Elmwood Papers lack questions about 'connected rates of change' and all these application questions ?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurawoods)
    Hello, including solomon, elmwood and current papers how many papers are there to do for a) C3 and for b) C4? I am doing both in the summer and just need to make a revision plan. Thanks!
    Hi, I think there's about 11/12 solomon papers for each C3 & C4, don't know about the emlwood ones (are they harder or easier than solomon?) & for current papers, it depends on which year you want to start from because I know that you can definitely get papers from 2005 onwards, not totally sure sure about before then. I need to make a revision plan too, how may papers are you considering doing in a week?

ReputationRep:
    Hello do Elmwood Papers lack questions about 'connected rates of change' and all these application questions ?
    Quickly skimming through the papers, there seems to be several 'connected rates of change questions' but not particularly long ones, most seem to be no more than 6/7 marks, whereas in past C4 papers there have been questions with many more parts that are worth 13/14 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fortitude)
    Hi, I think there's about 11/12 solomon papers for each C3 & C4, don't know about the emlwood ones (are they harder or easier than solomon?) & for current papers, it depends on which year you want to start from because I know that you can definitely get papers from 2005 onwards, not totally sure sure about before then. I need to make a revision plan too, how may papers are you considering doing in a week?
    Hello, I have done only one Elmwood Paper so far! (One for C4- Paper L) I didn't think there was anything particularly challenging in it ....it was fine. But then it didn't contain any 'connected rates of change' questions. Those are the killers for me! I am planning to do atleast 1 paper a day- keeps the brain tuned and also I think it is not heavy going. I am retaking C3 because I wasn't happy with the grade I got! What did u get in C3 , if u don't mind me asking?

(P.S. To be honest with you I think the solomon are easier than the actual papers we get.)

ReputationRep:
    It's just the ratio of of the length and height of the triangle, it doesn't represent any physical quantity. But because the two triangles are mathematically similar, it gives us an extra equation we can use.

Do you remember doing similar triangles at GCSE?
    I am so so so confused.

Brittanna will we need this/did this come up on any C4 past papers?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have done only one Elmwood Paper so far! (One for C4- Paper L) I didn't think there was anything particularly challenging in it ....it was fine. But then it didn't contain any 'connected rates of change' questions. Those are the killers for me! I am planning to do atleast 1 paper a day- keeps the brain tuned and also I think it is not heavy going. I am retaking C3 because I wasn't happy with the grade I got! What did u get in C3 , if u don't mind me asking?

(P.S. To be honest with you I think the solomon are easier than the actual papers we get.)
    Do you mean 1 C3 paper & 1 C4 paper in a day or just 1 paper? I'm also retaking C3, I got a C (last question totally threw me off) what about yourself if you don't mind of course. So how many maths exams have you got then in total? Solomon papers are easier?? Oh no :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fortitude)
    Do you mean 1 C3 paper & 1 C4 paper in a day or just 1 paper? I'm also retaking C3, I got a C (last question totally threw me off) what about yourself if you don't mind of course. So how many maths exams have you got then in total? Solomon papers are easier?? Oh no :eek:
    Hello there, Yes one C3 papers and one c4 paper in a day! It is not bad as we think good luck with ur revision. Hope you get the grade u want ! I think Solomon is easier in the sense that there isn't much manipulation (to a certain extent- the questions tend to follow a pattern and a trend). You will see that if you do some of them; but for the original papers (expecially the c3 of this jan) there was so much manipulation involved ---it threw me off! God bless you and once again good luck with revision . I guess it is better to start early whatever subject it is; in the case of maths it is all about practicing. Isn't it so?

ReputationRep:
    how do you integrate cot^2 (2x) ?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Zzzyax)
    how do you integrate cot^2 (2x) ?
    Hint:

1+cot^2\theta = cosec^2 \theta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Hint:

1+cot^2\theta = cosec^2 \theta
    cot^2 2\theta = cosec^2 2\theta  -1

i see, yes use the c3 formula equations to intergrate cosec^2

i was just looking at c4 equations, thanks for help

-0.5cot 2\theta - /theta

i am not good at latex as you can see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    I am so so so confused.

Brittanna will we need this/did this come up on any C4 past papers?
    I have no idea. I had to refresh myself on it when I wrote the post . I think it was on a C1 question I did last year though . I guess that if they ask a question about a cone (look on the link otrivine posted), then I guess we would need to know it, but i'm not certain.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true solomon press increase in difficulty as you go along?????

Just did Solomon Press Paper A.....it was like 6 trig questions....I can't really see the Papers getting harder than this one.

Ironically the very last one was the only one I got stuck on Algebraic division Q8 if anyone CAN HELP!!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.