Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zaphod77)
    I'll be honest, I can't think of a way... I'd just stick to sec^2(x), a lot easier! I was trying to manipulate it, but I'm not sure you can... Sorry!
    Do you think you would be asked to integrate 4(3x+2)^-5... or is that not in our spec?

Also when you have an improper fraction(top heavy) is there a easier way to workout what A and B will go over as numerators to the denominators?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nm786)
    expand the brackets and you get at-at^2 - so yes use product rule
    what would be the u and v?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris-69)
    And for that type you would be A + B/(whatever) + C/(whatever) ?

uhm im not sure what you mean but once i know it is a top heavy fraction I would just work out the A and b/c normally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    hi

integrating sin3xcosx dx
    Use factor formulae from C3...

differenitate

at(1-t) ?

use product rule?
    You didn't say with respect to what... but I assume with respect to "t"... & "a" is a constant

I would personally open out the brackets....

at - at^2

dy/dt = a - 2at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    Do you think you would be asked to integrate 4(3x+2)^-5... or is that not in our spec?

Also when you have an improper fraction(top heavy) is there a easier way to workout what A and B will go over as numerators to the denominators?
    There's no reason why they can't ask us that.

ReputationRep:
    what would be the u and v?
    You are thinking to hard now. That's C1 differentiation, except 'a' is 'the number'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fortitude)
    Ok first look at page 93, Example 6c.

1. You can see that sin3xcosx is in the addition formula sin (A+-B) = sinAcosB +- cosAsinB. A is obvs 3x & B is x.
    2. So you can have sin (3x + x) = sin3xcosx + cos3xsinx
    3. But you need to get sin3xcosx
    4. You can also have sin (3x - x) = sin3xcosx - cos3xsinx
    5. We need to get just sin3xcosx on it's own so in order to do that, you can tell that we need to add the equations: (sin3xcosx + cos3xsinx) + (sin3xcosx - cos3xsinx) so we end up with 2sin3xcosx.
    6. You need to also therefore add the sin (3x+x) + sin(3x-x) so you get sin 4x + sin2x = 2sin3xcosx
    7. Hence now just divide by 2 so you get 1/2(sin4x + sin2x) = sin3xcosx
    8. Just integrate (sin4x + sin2x) & then x1/2 & subs limits in!!!

actually instead of doing the books way,

can I not use sub method to assume u=sin3x? and do it from there or will it over complicate things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterYi)
    You are thinking to hard now. That's C1 differentiation, except 'a' is 'the number'.
    But the guy said use prodct?

ReputationRep:
    not looking forward to it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Because Edexcel told us we need to keep the restrictions and not all international countries do a different paper. :nah:
    I see! Are you doing the paper/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hawraaj313)
    not looking forward to it at all.

WAR CRY!

ReputationRep:
    But the guy said use prodct?
    If you used product rule for the unexpanded version you would end up with the same answer.

Guy meant product for the unexpanded version. I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kronca)
    uhm im not sure what you mean but once i know it is a top heavy fraction I would just work out the A and b/c normally
    I mean if it's top heavy, would you do for example:

A + B/(x+1) + C(x+2)

ReputationRep:
    is there any specific soloman press paper worth doing that may help in exam or shell I just do all of them?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    actually instead of doing the books way,

can I not use sub method to assume u=sin3x? and do it from there or will it over complicate things
    That would still be complicated as you'd have to cosx in terms of u??:confused:
    Practise some questions in the book to get the hang of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    There's no reason why they can't ask us that.
    Would it be -1/3(3x+1)^-4 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    they can definitely ask you to integrate that btw
    you can usually do ones like that pretty easy by inspection :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)

You could be, you can use a substitution to do that or do it by inspection. Your second question, if you have an improper fraction I tend to divide through (long division) so then you get a number and a remainder, which will be over the original denominator. The remainder can then be split into partial fractions, which you can do either through comparing coefficients when you've set up the A and B fraction or through eliminating them (e.g. if the fraction included A(x+2) you can let x=-2 to eliminate A and just leave B). Does that answer your question at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterYi)
    If you used product rule for the unexpanded version you would end up with the same answer.

Guy meant product for the unexpanded version. I think.
    I see,

question 6) ?

http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...urceId=3992067
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

I see! Are you doing the paper/
    Yup, I am :yep:

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.