The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by reubenkinara
Can you write the Q.

At time t seconds, the surface area of a cube is A cm2 and the volume is V cm3, The surface area of the cube is expanding at a constant rate 2cm2s-1

Show that dv/dt = 1/2V1/3
Original post by 6vor6kas6
Urm, guys, I found one my major weaknesses in C3. Trigonometric Transformations. I always seem to get a lot of exercises which require to transform a trigonometric equation into something else wrong. Any tips?

what exactly is it your struggling with in trigonometric transformations? is it noticing which identity to use?
[INDENT]
Original post by otrivine
so am I doing it wrong, thought that I was doing correct so far

You've done it right so far. They've given you dA/dt as 2, so you can sub that in.

To find dA/dV, you need to get A in terms of V, which was what I was trying to help you do in my previous post.
Original post by justinawe
[INDENT]

You've done it right so far. They've given you dA/dt as 2, so you can sub that in.

To find dA/dV, you need to get A in terms of V, which was what I was trying to help you do in my previous post.

how do u do
At time t seconds, the surface area of a cube is A cm2 and the volume is V cm3, The surface area of the cube is expanding at a constant rate 2cm2s-1

Show that dv/dt = 1/2V1/3

Well V=h3 and A = 6h2V=h^3 \ and \ A \ = \ 6h^2
dAdt=2\dfrac{dA}{dt}=2
A=6(h3)23A=6(h^3)^\frac{2}{3} so A=V23A=V^\frac{2}{3}
Find dAdV\dfrac{dA}{dV}
(edited 11 years ago)
dAdt=2\dfrac{dA}{dt}=2
Make h the subject in one of the equations, So either h=V13h=V^\dfrac{1}{3} or the other then substitute so in the case I gave A=6(h13)6A=6(h^\frac{1}{3})^6 so A=V6A=V^6
Find dAdV\dfrac{dA}{dV}

According to the man on exam solution, he said its not a good idea to make subject its better to split the differentiation
dAdt=2\dfrac{dA}{dt}=2
Make h the subject in one of the equations, So either h=V13h=V^\dfrac{1}{3} or the other then substitute so in the case I gave A=6(h13)6A=6(h^\frac{1}{3})^6 so A=V6A=V^6
Find dAdV\dfrac{dA}{dV}

V=h3V=h^{3}, not h13h^{\frac{1}{3}} :tongue:

A=6(h3)23=6V23A = 6(h^3)^{\frac{2}{3}} = 6V^{\frac{2}{3}}
According to the man on exam solution, he said its not a good idea to make subject its better to split the differentiation

yes... but you need to find dA/dV after you do that!
yes... but you need to find dA/dV after you do that!

and how would u find DA/DV ? do u need to relate the area and volume into one equation and differentiate
and how would u find DA/DV ? do u need to relate the area and volume into one equation and differentiate

Yes... as reubenkinara and myself have been saying, find A in terms of V, and then differentiate.
Yes... as reubenkinara and myself have been saying, find A in terms of V, and then differentiate.

but anoter method apart from rearragning

can you express DA/DV in terms of da/dt x dt/dv
but anoter method apart from rearragning

can you express DA/DV in terms of da/dt x dt/dv

You could if you had dt/DV, but you don't

so can I not do that method of splitting do I have to rearrange?
Lost 3 marks on a C4 paper because I thought 2 + (0 x 1) = 3 (it was a vector question) :facepalm2: I make so many silly mistakes, grr :mad:

Strange, I'm getting 3V133V^\frac{1}{3} as my answer.
Original post by usycool1
Lost 3 marks on a C4 paper because I thought 2 + (0 x 1) = 3 (it was a vector question) :facepalm2: I make so many silly mistakes, grr :mad:

I make them as well! I think we all do.
so can I not do that method of splitting do I have to rearrange?

You do that method of splitting for dV/dt.

You are given dA/dt, and you can quite easily find dA/dV.

EDIT: Actually, looking back at your previous posts, I think you split dV/dt wrong. Can you repost your working here.
Strange, I'm getting 3V133V^\frac{1}{3} as my answer.

He applied the chain rule incorrectly, so if you followed his working you'd get the wrong answer.
He applied the chain rule incorrectly, so if you followed his working you'd get the wrong answer.

I saw my mistake! In my working I forgot about the 6.
Substituting it now gives the correct answer.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
i am abit confused at working out sin2x cos2x dx\int sin^2 x\ cos^2 x\ dx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending