Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedMed12)
    Yeah, last june for aqa was all over FB about being a killer paper, I remember that because alot of people missed their grades, even for Medicine but got accepted with AAB (but this year they've handed out more offers, just incase that happens, darn them).
    Woah, I'd NEVER cope with entrance exams ontop of A-levels. UKCAT I thought was a meanie, but its nothing compared to STEP. Hopefully it'll work out well though.
    Hm I might do it over the summer for fun and submit it. I'd enjoy it and it'd be a good use of my time, but then I kind of want to relax, get a job and do some community work too
    GOOD, BIOLOGY A2 IS A NIGHTMARE. I should have dropped it, but German was like English literature GCSE but in German and I ws the only one in the class who didnt want to do German at Uni (one wanted to do German and Maths). Biology is all about having the skill...the skill I dont yet acquire. So many people cram revision in my class and do well, even the not so bright ones,but they've got good exam technique.
    What would you have done your EPQ on?
    yeah true, all my friends have it probably stalking me right now...
    also in chemistry, how have you done on your cwk?
    Just to save space for everyone else.

Spoiler:
    Show

Really? That's not very good although I'm not sitting AQA so I should be fine, unless OCR decide to be incredibly cruel and give me a horrific paper! Or 3 papers really

I've hardly done much for STEP though as I'm concentrating more on my Chemistry to get it to the A or higher that I need, although I'd say I've done around 30-40 questions so far, but that's over several different papers so its hardly impressive at all.

Yeah that would be something else to do, although I've decided I'm going to increase my knowledge in Maths before starting university, so I won't be doing one besides I've already got a job currently whilst doing these A levels so it won't be too bad for me, plus they'll be making me a manager soon

Yeah I agree there, there was just so much to learn and even though in all my mock exams I was getting A's I came out with E's and U's in the exams -.- So I'm guessing I didn't have the right technique really

It would've probably been something Maths related, although at first I wanted it to be based on how chemical weapons weren't invented for that purpose but got influenced by the government to be used that way.

And it's at 37/40 the last time I saw my teacher, so not too bad really What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    oh no, my friend has to go to extra classes for economics before and after school. She was showing me her essays, not going to lie, I feel so stupid haha as I don't get anything
    would they really do that?!?! but you're a good student, and seriously, why? :O thats so bad. I think if you do really bad stuff on muck up day they do that, but the chances of anyone doing anything that bad isn't very and realistically everyone at school tries really hard so they wouldnt withdraw because usually the lowest they'll ever get afew Cs.
    Yeah I will do, just hoping a miracle happens and I acquire the techniques I dont have sometime between now and the bio exam
    Tbh the unit i'm doing for economics is really interesting and it's easy to write essays tbh lol
    Yup they would 100% :/
    Have you got your timetable yet?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACBLISS)
    Are you seriously doing AEA as well :eek: You do know STEP I and AEA clash, so 6 hours of maths :O
    Now that's just serious dedication
    I am indeed but I'll get an hour and a half break in between so that won't actually be too bad, although they've decided to make me sit the AEA first instead of STEP I which is rather have a fresher mind for STEP but oh we'll, they've done the same with STEP II, I'm sitting it after my Chemistry exam, not too impressed -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    I am indeed but I'll get an hour and a half break in between so that won't actually be too bad, although they've decided to make me sit the AEA first instead of STEP I which is rather have a fresher mind for STEP but oh we'll, they've done the same with STEP II, I'm sitting it after my Chemistry exam, not too impressed -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again Elite Mathematician

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Just to save space for everyone else.

Spoiler:
    Show

Really? That's not very good although I'm not sitting AQA so I should be fine, unless OCR decide to be incredibly cruel and give me a horrific paper! Or 3 papers really

I've hardly done much for STEP though as I'm concentrating more on my Chemistry to get it to the A or higher that I need, although I'd say I've done around 30-40 questions so far, but that's over several different papers so its hardly impressive at all.

Yeah that would be something else to do, although I've decided I'm going to increase my knowledge in Maths before starting university, so I won't be doing one besides I've already got a job currently whilst doing these A levels so it won't be too bad for me, plus they'll be making me a manager soon

Yeah I agree there, there was just so much to learn and even though in all my mock exams I was getting A's I came out with E's and U's in the exams -.- So I'm guessing I didn't have the right technique really

It would've probably been something Maths related, although at first I wanted it to be based on how chemical weapons weren't invented for that purpose but got influenced by the government to be used that way.

And it's at 37/40 the last time I saw my teacher, so not too bad really What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hmm yep chemistry is just practice and understand, unlike biology theres not as much technique involved. Just keep working hard, im sure you be ok! Hmm its a shame STEP isn't later i.e end of July, then again you'd go mad with an extra month wait for the final exam, but I think Chem should be the priority wherever possible ofc.
    oh sweet, I gave up my job this year, it was too tiring as I worked in a sports centre and I was my own on sundays, so I'd be so tired when I came home. I'm looking for something else this summer. That sounds great, where do you work?
    i've applied for a HCA role for the summer and then an activity sports leader for a childrens summer camp
    Hm maybe its nerves? The june bio paper was horrid though if you did OK with the song about sheep... like and it was mostly on ecology.
    ohh sounds interesting! theres a handful of maths books in my school library about the involvement of maths in discoveries and stuff

Nice, I'm on 36/40, got a chance to resit the qual which I have a 9 in so can hopefully up it to 10. scary to think 90% was just an A last summer, hoping an A is abit lower this time meaning 36 will get me afew extra UMS doubt it though as so many schools cheat

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the unit i'm doing for economics is really interesting and it's easy to write essays tbh lol
    Yup they would 100% :/
    Have you got your timetable yet?
    ahh thats good! I'm going to learn some economics over the summer my friend laughed at how little I knew... :/
    Yeah I got one before easter, to sign and confirm its correct. I have my first exam (german) next week 9th may :'(
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Again Elite Mathematician
    Whatever you say, but I know the truth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ahh thats good! I'm going to learn some economics over the summer my friend laughed at how little I knew... :/
    Yeah I got one before easter, to sign and confirm its correct. I have my first exam (german) next week 9th may :'(
    LOOOL YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING FOR ECONOMICS !!!!!!
    LOOOL
    I joke :P
    Damn, i still haven't got mine yet -_- and goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    LOOOL YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING FOR ECONOMICS !!!!!!
    LOOOL
    I joke :P
    Damn, i still haven't got mine yet -_- and goodluck!

absolutely nothing. Most my friend did Economics at GCSE atleast, but I took French instead. I was going to do it actually business and economics, but then they made a stupid technology compulsory so I had to do Food Tech instead lol
    Hm actually its the first time they've given them, normally we have to look them up ourselves, but its all on the website
    Thanks! its the exam I'm dreading the most tbh its more effortly and we get asked questions I cant even answer in English haha

ReputationRep:
    absolutely nothing. Most my friend did Economics at GCSE atleast, but I took French instead. I was going to do it actually business and economics, but then they made a stupid technology compulsory so I had to do Food Tech instead lol
    Hm actually its the first time they've given them, normally we have to look them up ourselves, but its all on the website
    Thanks! its the exam I'm dreading the most tbh its more effortly and we get asked questions I cant even answer in English haha
    Bless
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    hmm yep chemistry is just practice and understand, unlike biology theres not as much technique involved. Just keep working hard, im sure you be ok! Hmm its a shame STEP isn't later i.e end of July, then again you'd go mad with an extra month wait for the final exam, but I think Chem should be the priority wherever possible ofc.
    oh sweet, I gave up my job this year, it was too tiring as I worked in a sports centre and I was my own on sundays, so I'd be so tired when I came home. I'm looking for something else this summer. That sounds great, where do you work?
    i've applied for a HCA role for the summer and then an activity sports leader for a childrens summer camp
    Hm maybe its nerves? The june bio paper was horrid though if you did OK with the song about sheep... like and it was mostly on ecology.
    ohh sounds interesting! theres a handful of maths books in my school library about the involvement of maths in discoveries and stuff

Nice, I'm on 36/40, got a chance to resit the qual which I have a 9 in so can hopefully up it to 10. scary to think 90% was just an A last summer, hoping an A is abit lower this time meaning 36 will get me afew extra UMS doubt it though as so many schools cheat
    Spoiler:
    Show

Good lord these posts are increasing in length all the time!

Okay, yeah you're right about Chemistry, although you can do quite well just by remembering everything possible really, so that's the route I'll be taking to get this A

Yeah to be honest I wouldn't want it any later as I've currently got my exams going from the 13th of May until the 25th of June, so I wouldn't want it to be any longer than it already is really!

Unfortunately that's right, so after this I'm going to do a few past papers in a few units to see where I'm at currently and then see what I need to improve on

I should've done exactly the same as you because I come home each night after doing 9-10 hours and I'm exhausted but I still have to revise for a few hours too, but I only work in the local McDonalds so it's not too bad really, decent wage too

Our library has no Maths books at all so I had to buy 8 myself to read for interest and to put into my personal statement as well, they were pretty interesting really, but those books do sound quite interesting really

Finally that's a good score but yeah if everyone, or most of people didn't cheat it wouldn't be anywhere near that high as I doubt the majority would get past 30 marks, oh well there's nothing that we can do about it really :-/

I'm going to go and do some Maths and Chemistry revision, then maybe some STEP afterwards. Talk again soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    whattt no way? just treat yourself to study leave. Revision at school isn't as productive (for me anyway) we've finished the syllabus in chem and maths and Bio we have 4 spreads left so will finish this week, not sure what we shall do for 3 weeks until study leave.
    oh hang on, is your maths class, not just FM students or is it mixed? Because for us, FM are a separate class.
    *did
    ahh I did D1 for 4 weeks, it was so repetitive haha!
    yeah thats a good plan just thought I might as well ace c3 too, because if I get an A* in Maths and B in Biology the Uni might still consider me and an A is biology is really hard and the A* is probably more realistic in Maths for me( I hope).
    Wait what you did D1 in 4 weeks and got an A !!! :/ :O

I am amazed. I've only done up to 2009 Papers and I'm doing alright. It's like 67/75 for an A. I need an A in it, then 90%+ in C3/C4 for my A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    Wait what you did D1 in 4 weeks and got an A !!! :/ :O

I am amazed. I've only done up to 2009 Papers and I'm doing alright. It's like 67/75 for an A. I need an A in it, then 90%+ in C3/C4 for my A*.
    oh no no, I meant I did d1 for 4 weeks, but then I decided that I dont want to do an extra AS in FM so dropped it, but I would have sat the exam this jan if I did complete it aha. Although, I did M1 3 months self study as I missed the first 3 chapters when it was taught and couldnt move on with the class, as I hadnt done the previous stuff and it all linked.

I know its really high for anA , but just keep your head down and practice.

ReputationRep:
    oh no no, I meant I did d1 for 4 weeks, but then I decided that I dont want to do an extra AS in FM so dropped it, but I would have sat the exam this jan if I did complete it aha. Although, I did M1 3 months self study as I missed the first 3 chapters when it was taught and couldnt move on with the class, as I hadnt done the previous stuff and it all linked.

I know its really high for anA , but just keep your head down and practice.

Yeah thanks will do. Need to get this Chem 5 and Phys 5 done by the end of the week otherwise things will get difficult for me...Argh I've put too much focus on Maths recently.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks will do. Need to get this Chem 5 and Phys 5 done by the end of the week otherwise things will get difficult for me...Argh I've put too much focus on Maths recently.
    hmm good luck which board for chem?

ReputationRep:
    hmm good luck which board for chem?
    OCR for both Chem and Physics !

ReputationRep:
    OCR for both Chem and Physics !
    same, but i do chem and bio

ReputationRep:
    So in terms of past papers for C3/C4 there are: Edexcel June 2005 - January 2013 (16 papers); Solomon A through to L (12 papers) and the Elmwood papers (4 papers). Making a total of 32 papers for each, is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1L3NTPR3Y)
    So in terms of past papers for C3/C4 there are: Edexcel June 2005 - January 2013 (16 papers); Solomon A through to L (12 papers) and the Elmwood papers (4 papers). Making a total of 32 papers for each, is this correct?
    Yep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmanvi)
    I think elmwood is 12 papers aswell?
    http://darnexams.com/papers/1-as-and...el-maths-9709/
    so there are about 40 papers in total for each
    i usually do solomon first THEN edexcel papers to make edexcel look easyyy in comparison (helped alottt for my C1 and C3 )
    That's actually a good idea, might try that

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.