Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    so where is everyone up to with their C3/C4 revision? need to make sure im not slacking ! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why is no one talking about the actual possibilities of questions in the C4 exam, no good talking about uni's unless we do decent in this exam.

If they give another question on intergrating x^t il definetly be ready, I didnt think about using the exponential rule or considering the differential of x^t.

I'm using the c3 & c4 big black edexcel textbook to revise, papers aren't a priority as edexcel are currently changing their style of questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are the hardest C3 and C4 questions you guys ever did? I want to challenge myself a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcRaman)
    Why is no one talking about the actual possibilities of questions in the C4 exam, no good talking about uni's unless we do decent in this exam.

If they give another question on intergrating x^t il definetly be ready, I didnt think about using the exponential rule or considering the differential of x^t.

I'm using the c3 & c4 big black edexcel textbook to revise, papers aren't a priority as edexcel are currently changing their style of questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We don't have those huge text books. only small ones

Well Papers should be priority, the new style of questions are similar to Solomon Press.

(Original post by masryboy94)
    so where is everyone up to with their C3/C4 revision? need to make sure im not slacking ! :rolleyes:
    I've only done 6/11 and 4/11 for C4 and C3 Solomon Press respectively.

Want to have all the Solomon done by around 22nd May, then I can probably do the Real Papers like 4-5 a day for like 4 days or so because the difficulty level is completely different. As long as I have all the Solomon Done and Real Papers done by 1st June, I'm prepped to get to do well.

Solomons have definitely boosted my Mathematical ability. It's more just the difficulty of the Algebra and answers that aren't exact that make them harder. You get an odd answer and your like - Hmm I'm not sure that's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6vor6kas6)
    What are the hardest C3 and C4 questions you guys ever did? I want to challenge myself a little
    Off the top of my head, I remember screwing up on the range of h(x) question on the Jan 2013 paper.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what method of integration to use if I want to integrate tan^2x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHarris)
    Does anyone know what method of integration to use if I want to integrate tan^2x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Use the trig identity \tan^2 x = \sec^2 x -1

ReputationRep:
    What's the differential of 2^t? Is it just 2^t or is it 2^tln2, if it's the latter, can anybody explain it to me please. Thanks I'm in kind of a rush as well so ANYONE please!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Prabin)
    What's the differential of 2^t? Is it just 2^t or is it 2^tln2, if it's the latter, can anybody explain it to me please. Thanks I'm in kind of a rush as well so ANYONE please!
    The latter.

This is one way in which you could show it:

Let y=2^t

Take logs of both sides:

\ln y = \ln 2^t
    \ln y = t \ln 2

Differentiate both sides w.r.t. x:

\dfrac{1}{y} \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \ln 2

Multiply both sides by y:

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = y\ln 2

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2^t\ln 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)
    We don't have those huge text books. only small ones

Well Papers should be priority, the new style of questions are similar to Solomon Press.

I've only done 6/11 and 4/11 for C4 and C3 Solomon Press respectively.

Want to have all the Solomon done by around 22nd May, then I can probably do the Real Papers like 4-5 a day for like 4 days or so because the difficulty level is completely different. As long as I have all the Solomon Done and Real Papers done by 1st June, I'm prepped to get to do well.

Solomons have definitely boosted my Mathematical ability. It's more just the difficulty of the Algebra and answers that aren't exact that make them harder. You get an odd answer and your like - Hmm I'm not sure that's right.
    On my mock i got 67/75 lost 2 marks for lambda = 3 instead of 1/3 and lost 6 for not intergrating 2^t. I have to admit the paper was easy, but a lot of time is required. I think solomon papers were slightly easier than this paper. Hopefuly il get above 88

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How do I input mathematical symbols in to my text?

ReputationRep:
    On my mock i got 67/75 lost 2 marks for lambda = 3 instead of 1/3 and lost 6 for not intergrating 2^t. I have to admit the paper was easy, but a lot of time is required. I think solomon papers were slightly easier than this paper. Hopefuly il get above 88

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow great work mate! Keep it up!!

I can remember that question from the Exam. It really killed any momentum I had. Hopefully when I do Jan 2013 in 2/3 Weeks I will score the same!

ReputationRep:
    I think its called Latex or something. Seems complex to me.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

See here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    The latter.
    Perfect! Thanks, I think I'm going to just memorise that anyway haha.

Also, How do I integrate 2^t

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was so weird because that question completely killed my flow and i though i'd fail in all the integration bits but when i got the script back i'd done fine in the x^t question and failed in the bits i thought were easy like partial fractions and binomial expansion

Do you reckon there will be a longer question on rates of change? there was nothing about it in the jan exam and i was really hoping for a question on it

ReputationRep:
    TSR uses something called latex that lets you write equations in your posts (can't say i ever use it though) :P

Here's a guide to using it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    The latter.

This is one way in which you could show it:

Let y=2^t

Take logs of both sides:

\ln y = \ln 2^t
    \ln y = t \ln 2

Differentiate both sides w.r.t. x:

\dfrac{1}{y} \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \ln 2

Multiply both sides by y:

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = y\ln 2

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = 2^t\ln 2
    good you pointed that out. in the january 2013 paper you had to differentiate y=(2^t) - 1, i would of though after differentiating you get dy/dx = [(2^t) - 1]ln2 but in the mark scheme it's dy/dx = (2^t)ln2. reason why im confused because when you get to the step dy/dx = yln2 you sub in for y. but they subbed in only the first part of y; "2^t" when in fact y= (2^t) - 1:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or are c4 solomon papers quite nice? I've found them easier than the past paper I just looked at, whereas c3 solomon are so hard :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilmzbest)
    It was so weird because that question completely killed my flow and i though i'd fail in all the integration bits but when i got the script back i'd done fine in the x^t question and failed in the bits i thought were easy like partial fractions and binomial expansion

Do you reckon there will be a longer question on rates of change? there was nothing about it in the jan exam and i was really hoping for a question on it
    I think they will definetly have long intergration questions e.g. 7/8 markers, they will try to make the differential equations harder by trying to embed an exponential quadratic or some sort.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.