The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ACBLISS
lol yhyh sure :wink: :biggrin:
lol
Yup done, :smile: i'v been focusing on fp2 and fp3 and s3, just need to average 90 in those three to get an A* :tongue:
You??

good good! how are they are going? I know you'll be OK :smile:
Its been fine, just need to get more confidence with C3 again and build it up with the past papers for Maths. Been doing Chem and Bio questions alot this week.
Original post by MathsNerd1
Yeah, I'm sure you can rewrite what you've got as a combination of trigs? :smile: Then all you'll have to do is IBP and you'll get the correct answer :biggrin:

nope im lost now lool would i be getting the right idea if i said sin22x×sec2x sin^22x \times sec2x and then do by parts on that?
Original post by masryboy94
nope im lost now lool would i be getting the right idea if i said sin22x×sec2x sin^22x \times sec2x and then do by parts on that?

Okay can't it be expressed as tan(2x)*sin(2x) ? Can you now integrate that by parts? :smile:

Also if you didn't want to use by parts, you could continue in this way:

Spoiler

Okay can't it be expressed as tan(2x)*sin(2x) ? Can you now integrate that by parts? :smile:

O M G ! that is what i done in the beginning and i hesitated and said no to myself :angry: damn i need to believe in myself sometimes argh !! thank you anyways
Original post by brittanna
Also if you didn't want to use by parts, you could continue in this way:

Spoiler

Oh yeah! I never even thought about that approach and it would definitely make it easier and less room for mistake too, thanks for that :biggrin:
O M G ! that is what i done in the beginning and i hesitated and said no to myself :angry: damn i need to believe in myself sometimes argh !! thank you anyways

Yeah, that's what TSR has given me, plus I quite enjoy trying out all these different questions that only require the A level knowledge as it's great practice for anything that might come up in the exam as it's probably a lot harder and would never be seen in a C4 exam :-/ I'd rather have questions like this in my exams as it would be more interesting :biggrin:
Yeah, that's what TSR has given me, plus I quite enjoy trying out all these different questions that only require the A level knowledge as it's great practice for anything that might come up in the exam as it's probably a lot harder and would never be seen in a C4 exam :-/ I'd rather have questions like this in my exams as it would be more interesting :biggrin:

yeh i know what you mean !! but then again if you didn't realise what to do just like me, you've lost the marks, but im happy im being challenged, allowed me to think outside the box :biggrin:

btw i found this pretty useful to remember the identities http://www.sosmath.com/trig/douangl/douangl.html

anyway thanks for that question phew lool back to physicssss
Oh yeah! I never even thought about that approach and it would definitely make it easier and less room for mistake too, thanks for that :biggrin:

No problem :biggrin:.
Reply 1749
Does somebody know how to work out the t values:

Picture1.jpg

Picture3.jpg

???
yeh i know what you mean !! but then again if you didn't realise what to do just like me, you've lost the marks, but im happy im being challenged, allowed me to think outside the box :biggrin:

btw i found this pretty useful to remember the identities http://www.sosmath.com/trig/douangl/douangl.html

anyway thanks for that question phew lool back to physicssss

Yeah that's the great thing about them as they challenge your ability and make you think to keep it interesting :biggrin: Also thanks but I just derive them from 1 single identity and using the formulas from the booklet, as I'm too lazy to try to remember them :tongue: Enjoy your physics then and there is quite a few of these questions on the Mega A Level Maths Thread as we like to challenge each other, maybe you could try some more if you want some extra practice :biggrin:
Original post by zakkaz
Does somebody know how to work out the t values:

Picture1.jpg

Picture3.jpg

???

At A and B your y value is 0 so just sub that into your formula for y and you'll get the two values for t :smile:
Reply 1752
Hmm I'm not quite sure how you got it to simplify into that :-/ What can the denominator be expressed as? Then is there something you know that can simplify it? Once you've done that is there anyway you could simplify the fraction? Let me know if you're still stuck :smile:

Edit: It looks like you're missing a function in your numerator, other than that's its all going the correct way so far :smile:

4tan2x1tan4x\displaystyle \int \dfrac{4tan^2x}{1-tan^4x} = 4(sin2xcos2x)1sin4xcos4x\displaystyle \int \dfrac{4 (\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x})}{1 - \frac{sin^4x}{cos^4x}} and then i cancelled out sin2xcos2x\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x} so it becomes 41tan2x\displaystyle \int \frac{4}{1-tan^2x}. Is this correct? :redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nm786
4tan2x1tan2x\displaystyle \int \dfrac{4tan^2x}{1-tan^2x} = 4(sin2xcos2x)1sin2xcos2x\displaystyle \int \dfrac{4 (\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x})}{1 - \frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x}} and then i cancelled out sin2xcos2x\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x} so it becomes 41tan2x\displaystyle \int \frac{4}{1-tan^2x}. Is this correct? :redface:

Ah okay, I understand where you've got that from but the denominator is 1-tan^4(x) not 1-tan^2(x) :smile: Try it again now?
Reply 1754
Ah okay, I understand where you've got that from but the denominator is 1-tan^4(x) not 1-tan^2(x) :smile: Try it again now?

Damn it that was a typo, please see my edited post :smile:
Original post by nm786
4tan2x1tan4x\displaystyle \int \dfrac{4tan^2x}{1-tan^4x} = 4(sin2xcos2x)1sin4xcos4x\displaystyle \int \dfrac{4 (\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x})}{1 - \frac{sin^4x}{cos^4x}} and then i cancelled out sin2xcos2x\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x} so it becomes 41tan2x\displaystyle \int \frac{4}{1-tan^2x}. Is this correct? :redface:

Okay, I can see the approach you're taking but you need to have your denominator part under the same denominator and then when you divide the fractions you'll be flipping the second one and then multiplying, tell me what you get once you've done this :smile:
Reply 1756
Is anybody else hoping for a hard paper? I reckon I'll be fine on a hard paper because I know my maths well, I just make small mistakes sometimes. If it's a hard paper, 1 or 2 marks won't hurt too much.
Original post by KD35
Is anybody else hoping for a hard paper? I reckon I'll be fine on a hard paper because I know my maths well, I just make small mistakes sometimes. If it's a hard paper, 1 or 2 marks won't hurt too much.

I want something that will push and challenge me, like that 2^t question in January was quite fun to do, the rest was pretty dull though :-/
I want a moderate to hard paper for kind grade boundaries.
Reply 1759
Just hoping for no funny business like wordy questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending