The Student Room Group

Edexcel C3,C4 June 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brittanna
The fx-991es lets you work out the value of an integral between limits. It can't tell you what the actual integrals is in terms of the variables, but it can tell you, for example, what the value of 022x dx\displaystyle\int^2_0 2x\ dx is

What about with trig ?function

I mean with integration is there ways you can check if u are correct?
Original post by ACBLISS
They are going fine dw lol :smile:
I need to crack on with eco :/

good good :smile:
when is the eco exam? You have two, right?
Original post by otrivine
What about with trig ?function

I mean with integration is there ways you can check if u are correct?

Do you mean integration with trigonometry? If so, then yeah, you can do most integrals, but it doesn't always give exact answers. So if you typed in the calculator 0π2cosx dx\displaystyle\int^\frac{\pi}{2}_0 cosx\ dx it will display '1' on the screen.

In terms of checking, I usually do the integral on the calculator (I either make up some limits if none are given in the question, or I use the ones in the question). But if I can see another way of doing the integral (e.g. by parts or using standard forms), then I will often try that as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1863
For Question 5 June 2011 i'm not sure why y=16 i know if you sub in x=2 you get 4ln2 which is ln16 but why do you need to take e^ln16 to get y=16?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by nm786
For Question 5 June 2011 i'm not sure why y=16 i know if you sub in x=2 you get 4ln2 which is ln16 but why do you need to take e^ln16 to get y=16?

Because you have ln y = something

not y = something

:smile:
Reply 1865
Original post by usycool1
Because you have ln y = something

not y = something

:smile:

PRSOM oh yeah, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1866
if your method doesnt follow the MS how will they know how to allocate the M1/B1/A1 marks?
Reply 1867
Hey guys.

I think we should start stating important points from the examiner reports that you need to include to pick up points.

I'll go first.

Quote the product or quotient rule whenever using it.
Reply 1868
give answers to 3sf unless stated otherwise :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
When doing integration using trig, quote the trig identity used?
Original post by kronca
if your method doesnt follow the MS how will they know how to allocate the M1/B1/A1 marks?

They usually have alternatives shown in the mark scheme.
Reply 1871
Original post by MedMed12
good good :smile:
when is the eco exam? You have two, right?

tuesday is my unit 3 exam, erm i think my theory is fine? Going to start past papers and just like go over knowledge? lol
Unit 4 is 2 days before c3/s3 :tongue:
In vectors, if they ask for the co-ordinates of a point P, give the co-ordinates of P and not the vector.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1873
Woops I almost forgot myself - Everyone don't forget

EXAM SOLUTIONS
http://www.examsolutions.net

Just as a reminder to everyone else if you've done the Solomon Papers don't forget about Exam Solutions for when you've moved on to the Real Papers.

He's got all the videos for 2007-2013 so hopefully we won't get people asking the same questions twice and we will only see the hardest questions here.
Original post by brittanna
In vectors, if they ask for the co-ordinates of a point P, give the co-ordinates of P and not the vector OP!

but on june 05, it asks for PV D but the mark scheme says OD :/ isnt it the same :s-smilie:
Original post by MedMed12
but on june 05, it asks for PV D but the mark scheme says OD :/ isnt it the same :s-smilie:

If it asks for the position vector, then that's fine. But sometimes they ask for coordinates. So you would have to write (a,b,c)(a,b,c) rather than (abc)\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \end{pmatrix}
Reply 1876
As silly as it may sometimes seem, for show thats, you need to include nearly every step.

One I can remember is on C3 where you've got an expression like 25cos(x-45) + 5

And it asks you for the maximum value,
You need to put 25+5, the answer on it's own didn't get full marks in one paper.
one thing i've learnt is DON'T GET CHEEKY. the amounts of times i missed out a few lines of working because i thought i can do it in my head, and then i come to realise i did STUPID mistakes like thinking 3 x 2 = 5 which then becomes pretty hard to spot when you have 2/3 pages of calculations; costing me priceless marks (because there are so many numbers around you get confused-ish), which in fact lost me the grade i wanted in C3 in Jan. so my advice is, put your pen to paper for an extra 5 seconds to write up something as simple as 3 x 2 = 6 that will actually make sure you don't lose the marks :smile:
Reply 1878
Original post by masryboy94
one thing i've learnt is DON'T GET CHEEKY. the amounts of times i missed out a few lines of working because i thought i can do it in my head, and then i come to realise i did STUPID mistakes like thinking 3 x 2 = 5 which then becomes pretty hard to spot when you have 2/3 pages of calculations; costing me priceless marks (because there are so many numbers around you get confused-ish), which in fact lost me the grade i wanted in C3 in Jan. so my advice is, put your pen to paper for an extra 5 seconds to write up something as simple as 3 x 2 = 6 that will actually make sure you don't lose the marks :smile:

Thanks for the tip!
Original post by ACBLISS
tuesday is my unit 3 exam, erm i think my theory is fine? Going to start past papers and just like go over knowledge? lol
Unit 4 is 2 days before c3/s3 :tongue:

hmm just do lots of past papers- chances are something from 2010-11 may creep up again. I think for eco its also to do with the style of writing maybe, thats the impression I get when my friends discuss eco and I haven't the foggiest what they are talking about :tongue:
ohh unlucky- clash or 1 morning or afternoon?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending