Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Im at solomon paper e for c3 and i cant find papers after that i got mine from extremepapers so im stuck at solomon paper e why cant i find solomon pprs after e anyone know where i can get me c3 solomon pprs after ppr e

ReputationRep:
    Btw Thanks justinawe!! im trying to print solomon pprs after e for c3 the markscheme just appears no question paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    y = 2^t

\ln y = \ln 2^t

\ln y = t\ln 2

Differentiate both sides wrt t,

\dfrac{1}{y} \times \dfrac{dy}{dt} = \ln 2

\dfrac{dy}{dt} = y\ln 2 = 2^t \ln 2
    \dfrac{dy}{dt} = 2^t \ln 2 that is for differentiation, for integration it would be  [\frac{2^t}{ln2}]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revisionbug)
    Btw Thanks justinawe!! im trying to print solomon pprs after e for c3 the markscheme just appears no question paper
    try this out http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...paceId=2367550

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryboy94)
    \dfrac{dy}{dt} = 2^t \ln 2 that is for differentiation, for integration it would be  [\frac{2^t}{ln2}]
    Did he ask for integration? My mistake then, misread it.

ReputationRep:
    Is one week enough to cover all c3 past papers (Solomon too) ?
    ( I haven't started :confused:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARDZ994)
    well there is around 29 papers all together for C3, so if you do 5 papers a day, you can get them all done. so tbh you will have to commit JUST for c3 for the whole week if wanna achieve that. but i suggest doing solomans first and then papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by masryboy94)
    well there is around 29 papers all together for C3, so if you do 5 papers a day, you can get them all done. so tbh you will have to commit JUST for c3 for the whole week if wanna achieve that. but i suggest doing solomans first and then papers.
    Oh ok, guess its no life mode :| cheers man

ReputationRep:
    ( I haven't started :confused:)
    Probably, if you really concentrate only on C3 for the week. If you've got any other exams, I wouldn't recommend it. Doing all the papers is kind of unnecessary and excessive imo anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Probably, if you really concentrate only on C3 for the week. If you've got any other exams, I wouldn't recommend it. Doing all the papers is kind of unnecessary and excessive imo anyway...
    So what do you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    So what do you recommend?
    Do all the Solomon papers but not all the Edexcel past papers.

3 or 4 past papers should suffice, unless you're still not confident in your ability to do the exam well.

If you're already starting to score high marks early on, you don't really even need to do all the Solomon papers.

ReputationRep:
    Do all the Solomon papers but not all the Edexcel past papers.

3 or 4 past papers should suffice, unless you're still not confident in your ability to do the exam well.

If you're already starting to score high marks early on, you don't really even need to do all the Solomon papers.
    Sounds more realistic man, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys on the C3 Jan 09 paper, Q)5)d) I got up to 6xe to the power x squared - x squared, e to the power x squared. (I hope this is ok to read!)

Can you not take a factor of xe^x squared out...As the mark scheme only take out e^ x squared...If not why?

However that way I only get the answer of 6, how do you get 0 as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    Hey guys on the C3 Jan 09 paper, Q)5)d) I got up to 6xe to the power x squared - x squared, e to the power x squared. (I hope this is ok to read!)

Can you not take a factor of xe^x squared out...As the mark scheme only take out e^ x squared...If not why?

However that way I only get the answer of 6, how do you get 0 as well?
    You can do that. then you would do,

xe^{x^2}(6-x) = 0

xe^{x^2} = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ x=0 \ \ \ \ \ \ (e^{x^2} \not= 0)

6 - x = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ x=6

However, x and ex2 are two separate factors, so it's easier to take them both out separately.

ReputationRep:
    You can do that. then you would do,

xe^{x^2}(6-x) = 0

xe^{x^2} = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ x=0 \ \ \ \ \ \ (e^{x^2} \not= 0)

6 - x = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ x=6

However, x and ex2 are two separate factors, so it's easier to take them both out separately.
    Thank you so much!

So just to recap its because xe^(x^2) is not a whole factor but two, so you would have x=0 and e^(x^2)=0 and you cant have x^2=ln(0) so you have no answer for that?

Also, Just say you have 8s^3-6s+1=0
    where s=sin theta.
    you can factorise up to s(8s^2-6)+1=0, right?
    I understand that the bracket is ...8s^2-6= 0

But I get confused on the layout is S+1=0 also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    Thank you so much!

So just to recap its because xe^(x^2) is not a whole factor but two, so you would have x=0 and e^(x^2)=0 and you cant have x^2=ln(0) so you have no answer for that?

Also, Just say you have 8s^3-6s+1=0
    where s=sin theta.
    you can factorise up to s(8s^2-6)+1=0, right?
    I understand that the bracket is ...8s^2-6= 0

But I get confused on the layout is S+1=0 also?
    Neither are equal to zero.

If you have ab=0, you say that a=0 or b=0, because either a or b have to be 0 for ab to equal 0.

If you have ab+1=0, all you know from this is ab=-1, so you can't solve it like that.

You need (something)(something)=0 to solve through factorisation like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'll help here if I can...

I'm WJEC, but I've covered both so I can help unless it's connected rates of change.

I've done C3, so need some C4 practise.

ReputationRep:

If you have ab=0, you say that a=0 or b=0, because either a or b have to be 0 for ab to equal 0.

If you have ab+1=0, all you know from this is ab=-1, so you can't solve it like that.

Thank you for clearing that up. So you cannot simplify the equation to find theta via factorisation... are there any other methods without using the compound angle formula, just curious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Story)
    Thank you for clearing that up. So you cannot simplify the equation to find theta via factorisation... are there any other methods without using the compound angle formula, just curious?
    You can still factorise the cubic, but you can't leave out the 1 - you need to factorise the whole thing.

Though I'm not sure if it's possible for this particular cubic, as the roots will probably be in the form of recurring decimals.

ReputationRep:

How come it works sometimes though, for example if x(x+2)=0

is x=0 or x=-2 correct?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.