Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Make this post anon or delete it.

I don't know what to do. This family secret has been pressurising me for years. I wish I hadn't known what it was. I'm fifteen years old and I've known about it since I was eight or nine years old. Since this post is anonymous, I'll just get on and say what it is.

My great grandfather was a Nazi in the SS (I despise and hate the ******* so much for what he did) and I feel a lot of shame and guilt that I'm alive when all the people he killed are dead. I always start crying to think of those people and feeling a lot of guilt for what he did. I especially feel ashamed of his actions whenever I see any Jewish people.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm strongly against racism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, you name it. I'm mixed race too (my great grandfather has made me more proud and appreciated of my mixed race heritage).

Thing is, is that I really want to tell people this family secret because I'm finding it harder and harder to keep it in. But if my parents found out that I've told everyone, they'd go ballistic. I was forced to keep it in when I burst into tears in history at the concentration camps when my class were studying Nazi Germany. Lots of my classmates were curious to know why I was crying and I was tempted to tell them the family secret.

I don't know how long I can keep the secret in for. What should I do? I don't really have any close friends who I can trust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I don't know what to do. This family secret has been pressurising me for years. I wish I hadn't known what it was. I'm fifteen years old and I've known about it since I was eight or nine years old. Since this post is anonymous, I'll just get on and say what it is.

My great grandfather was a Nazi in the SS (I despise and hate the ******* so much for what he did) and I feel a lot of shame and guilt that I'm alive when all the people he killed are dead. I always start crying to think of those people and feeling a lot of guilt for what he did. I especially feel ashamed of his actions whenever I see any Jewish people.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm strongly against racism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, you name it. I'm mixed race too (my great grandfather has made me more proud and appreciated of my mixed race heritage).

Thing is, is that I really want to tell people this family secret because I'm finding it harder and harder to keep it in. But if my parents found out that I've told everyone, they'd go ballistic. I was forced to keep it in when I burst into tears in history at the concentration camps when my class were studying Nazi Germany. Lots of my classmates were curious to know why I was crying and I was tempted to tell them the family secret.

I don't know how long I can keep the secret in for. What should I do? I don't really have any close friends who I can trust.
    Firstly man up!
    Secondly, most of the people living in Germany have grandparents who were Nazis and they don't break into tears everytime they see a jew . You can't be blamed for what your grandparents did.
    I think you should look at the positive, your family has a military background which could mean that maybe your a born killer .
    and finally my grandfather was in the army as well and he told me about some of the hard decisions he had to make to stop a colony from gaining it's indipendance :P.
    LIFE GOES ON! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bahjat93)
    Firstly man up!
    Secondly, most of the people living in Germany have grandparents who were Nazis and they don't break into tears everytime they see a jew . You can't be blamed for what your grandparents did.
    I think you should look at the positive, your family has a military background which could mean that maybe your a born killer .
    and finally my grandfather was in the army as well and he told me about some of the hard decisions he had to make to stop a colony from gaining it's indipendance :P.
    LIFE GOES ON! :P

Not sure if trolling or just stupid.

As for the OP - it's understandable to be ashamed - you'd be odd if you weren't. However you are not accountable for your family and their actions and you can't change history. Embrace it but don't let it control you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Have you considered seeing a counsellor? This is obviously eating away at you and speaking to someone will probably help you get read of these feelings of guilt.

ReputationRep:
    At lot of the time people who were part of the Nazi's were very much pressured too else their lives would have been at risk - are you sure your grandfather wasn't just pushed into the Nazi's and forced to do such actions? Think about it, if you were told to do something knowing that if you didn't you would be killed, would you just do the action to avoid death? a lot of the time it was the only choice...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.