Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I really need some help with these tough decisions... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm in a really confusing and difficult situation at the minute with my boyfriend of nearly 3 years. We get along really well, and have discussed out future together several times.
    I do really want to be with him, but he's my first serious boyfriend, and i sometimes find myself comparing him to my friends boyfriends and wondering what else is out there and if all boyfriends are like him. I hate doing this, and it gets me really upset because i do love him!
    I dont really want to break up with him, but i also dont want to live my whole life wondering what else is out there. Help? What can i do
    I know its a bit of a strange situation, but its really getting me down and it's on my mind all the time.
    Thanks in advanced people
    Claire x

ReputationRep:
    Hi, It's perfectly normal that you're having these feelings, especially considering it's your first serious boyfriend. You're not alone is what I mean. If you think that your boyfriend is the guy you're meant to be with then stay with him but if there's an underlying problem causing you to feel like this then you may want to question the issue. I had a friend who had the most perfect guy for her and she couldn't stop thinking that there was something better out there, so she left her boyfriend and 10 years down the line she's still single. Now I'm not suggesting that this will happen to everyone but just think about what you and your boyfriend have and is it too special to break over a whim? Enjoy life together and see where it takes you Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire4095)
    Hi guys,
    I'm in a really confusing and difficult situation at the minute with my boyfriend of nearly 3 years. We get along really well, and have discussed out future together several times.
    I do really want to be with him, but he's my first serious boyfriend, and i sometimes find myself comparing him to my friends boyfriends and wondering what else is out there and if all boyfriends are like him. I hate doing this, and it gets me really upset because i do love him!
    I dont really want to break up with him, but i also dont want to live my whole life wondering what else is out there. Help? What can i do
    I know its a bit of a strange situation, but its really getting me down and it's on my mind all the time.
    Thanks in advanced people
    Claire x

What do you think is missing

Can you imagine growing old with him
    Can you imagine him as a father (if you want children)
    Does he make you happy
    Does he care about you and your life
    Does he make you laugh
    Do you have fun together

Perhaps there are other things that you are looking for

What does he lack that you think you need/want

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest, what you're truly missing, is variability. I can't blame you for it but if you're happy with this guy, why not do things (by things I mean anything, fun crap, holidays etcetc) together and if you're still envious of other people's freedom, break it off; it's not fair on him otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely natural to have these thoughts, don't worry. At the end of the day you've got to look at your relationship with him and decide if that's what you really want. Are there any bad aspects of your relationship that have triggered these thoughts? Or is it just curiosity at the end of the day?

I'm with my first serious boyfriend and it hasn't even been a year yet- I lost my virginity to him aged 20 etc etc and he's said to me he's often worried that I'll get bored and leave him, because he's definitely in this for the long haul. Maybe in a couple of years time I'll start having those inklings too, but for now, it's taken me this long to find a man I truly care about and who makes me happy, what more could I ask for?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.