The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brittanna
Didn't you have to take away the temperature as it was endothermic? I got about 284K :s-smilie:.

You are right. I got 300 something. You were meant to subtract it from the 298K because it was endothermic. Most people added it like me. Would I get marks for righting q=mcT
Original post by Padouken
IMO the paper was way more synoptic than June 12. June 12 just took a while to get through, it wasn't that hard. ( did as our mock and lost like 8 marks). Very long test though.

That is very true, synoptic questions are always poorly answered, especially a massive 5 marker on solution temperatures :angry: definitely lost all 5 haha.

There were a lot of quite difficult questions, but I also think it would also be quite easy to get the first couple of marks on these questions (e.g. calculating moles on the last question). But yeah, maybe it will be a bit lower. But I still think the fact that there were a lot of marks on transition metal colours (in an easier format than June 2012) will increase the grade boundaries. Hopefully i'm wrong though :tongue:.

That's a good point actually, although I think we're assuming people will have memorised the colours :lol: I was so glad when I got to that page, I was thinking I need something to make up for the rest of this awful paper haha!
Didn't you have to take away the temperature as it was endothermic? I got about 284K :s-smilie:.

Fuuuuck the temperature of water is the surroundings!
Original post by erniiee
Yea far too much interpretation of data/graphs :/ hopefully that will bring the grade boundaries down very far though! Have to agree about the essays though, membranes was a dreammmm! Which one did you pick? There was loads to talk about for membranes, although not much from unit 2/4 :/

Hm, they may say ignore other equations, but honestly I don't know :redface: best bet is to look at mark schemes and what they have said in the past!

I did the interaction relationship one.. I just found it more enjoyable to write about :biggrin:
Are you done with exams now? :smile:
Original post by sports_crazy
You are right. I got 300 something. You were meant to subtract it from the 298K because it was endothermic. Most people added it like me. Would I get marks for righting q=mcT

We'll get 4/5. Definitely no less.. Most of the marks was from stating equation, rearranging, converting enthalpy to heat energy etc. No way will we get any less.
Original post by Croydon'Stepper
Yeah a C is 72 UMS, and a B is 84 UMS.

Yeah thanks. So if its a C, how low might the C grade boundary be based on the difficulty of this exam?

I don't know how I ended up here tbh, in chem 4 I got an A*, how I'm hoping for a C now is beyond me. That paper was just plain mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Possibly the worst exam I have ever sat. Reckon ill get a C and needed an A* in that paper. Fml
Original post by sports_crazy

If you got 300 and something (so you did it correctly but added on the temperature), you'd definitely get at least three of the marks, and probably four. This is one of those questions where not many people will get four marks, but a lot of people will get most of the marks which is why I was thinking the grade boundaries may have been higher than other people were saying.
(edited 10 years ago)
Good point. I guess I've been assuming that everyone does maths and so will have found that quite simple, but this obviously isn't the case. So yeah, maybe I did over estimate them a bit (hopefully :biggrin:).

Yea I'm so glad some people don't! :lol: can only hope they are low low low! To be fair, 79 is actually pretty low for an A* if you think about it based on percentages!
Does anyone have an unofficial mark schem I can have a loom at ??
Reply 2750
Original post by SexyAndIKnowIt.
Possibly the worst exam I have ever sat. Reckon ill get a C and needed an A* in that paper. Fml

I need a C
Original post by Mocking_bird
I did the interaction relationship one.. I just found it more enjoyable to write about :biggrin:
Are you done with exams now? :smile:

I looked at that and thought, hm don't know if there's much I can write about as I got to the essay with 35 mins left! But in reflection, there is absolutely LOADS of out spec stuff you could write in that essay! *Regrets*

I have stats on Friday then I'm done..need to get up from a U in my mock to a B/C in these next two days :lol:

wish me luck, I'm off to revise the dreaded applied module eurgh
Original post by cat-lover
I'm sure you'll do fine! :smile: By the looks of it, the grade boundaries could be lower this year. For Jan 2013, you needed 62 raw marks to get 80 ums so going by that you can drop 38 marks and still be alright. Hopefully you'll get an A* in one of your other subjects so that if in the worst case scenario you don't get an A, they offer you the place anyway (I know that has happened to a few people). And I know right, someone really needs to make one. I have physics to study for and I got too many things wrong to make one myself. :tongue:

Hopefully it works out anyway. I can hardly rememeber wat the questions where never mind the answers. Ohh good luck with phyiscs!! I dropped it after AS nd I think its the best decision I could have made.
Original post by zbubbly
what was the answer to why the current flowed from right to left, i put something like there were less electrons in the 1.00 cuso4 than the 0.2 cuso4 or something like that, is that right??? also the answer for why co2 is released is that it requires electricity for the backwards reaction and electricity can be made by burning fossil fuels, completely ****ed up the cobalt catalyst question also what was the answer for the final temperature change i added 9 kelvin to 298 which is wrong so was it 298-9 or is that also wrong

Hang on, the concentrations were 1.00 and 2.00 weren't they? Please tell me that they were!
Original post by Anshul91
no co-ordaination number is the 'number of co-ordinate bonds'

20130619_132717.jpg

Oh really? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
what were the two colours of silver complexes? i put colourless to both, cant seem to find them online (cant remember)
Reply 2756
Will they allow multiples? I multiplied the first equation by 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vip3rgt9
Hang on, the concentrations were 1.00 and 2.00 weren't they? Please tell me that they were!

it was 1.0 and 0.2
Original post by yarshad
20130619_132717.jpg

Oh really? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, that's an error in the textbook. It's the number of co-ordinate bonds to a central metal cation. Sorry :frown:
Original post by erniiee
Yea I'm so glad some people don't! :lol: can only hope they are low low low! To be fair, 79 is actually pretty low for an A* if you think about it based on percentages!

79% is quite low. But have you seen the Physics A*s?

Quick Reply

Latest