The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you guys revising?

I am just making revisiom notes so that I have plenty of time to do past papers before the actual thing.
Reply 301
Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the best way to remember those redox equations? Are you guys just writing them out over and over again to remember them?
Reply 302
Original post by Hamzi
Posted from TSR Mobile

What is the best way to remember those redox equations? Are you guys just writing them out over and over again to remember them?

Yep just writing them out over and over again and testing myself afterwards :smile:
Reply 303
Original post by Tullia
[Co(H2O)6]2+ (aq) + 6 NH3 (aq) --> [Co(NH3)6]2+ (aq) + 6 H2O (l)

[Co(H2O)6]2+ (aq) is unstable in the presence of oxygen, so Co2+ is oxidised to Co3+

4 [Co(NH3)6]2+ (aq) + O2 (aq) + 4 H+ (aq) --> 4 [Co(NH3)6]3+ (aq) + 2 H2O (l)

Does that help?

Hi, bit confused you said that [Co(H2O)6]2+ (aq) is unstable in presence of oxygen therefore co2+ oxidises to co3+, did you not mean [Co(NH3)6]2+ was unstable?
Original post by Hamzi
Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you guys revising?

I am just making revisiom notes so that I have plenty of time to do past papers before the actual thing.

Hello,

I am revising from three textbooks mainly (the main textbook endorsed by AQA, the CGP revision guide and Collins revision guide finally). The CGP revision guide is lovely for CHEM4 and CHEM5 ; the notes are clear, concise and well organised! But, unfortunately, they do not contain everything you need to know to get 'the top grades' . So after you make notes from them, remember to go through your aqa textbook and also the collins revision guide thoroughly. Add 'extra notes'.

I think this is a good time to start on some past papers - not the new ones but the legacy papers (these are the one from 2002- 2008). They give good practice. If you leave past papers to the final minute, it is going to be a bit of a struggle. Chemistry is one of those subjects where practice makes perfect, especially because of the fact that the mark schemes are very very specific. It is good to know (at an early stage) what kind of answer is awarded and what is rejected! :smile: If you get something wrong, remember to make a note of it and then revise that section again + copy down the mark scheme answer. But don't just copy down mark scheme answer ...make sure you understand what is going on (ask on here if you don't)! :smile:

Finally, this seems to be a topic with loads and loads of equations - so what i did personally (to help me) is make little cards with all of the equations on them. So when you do past papers, you can just flick through the card pack to get to the appropriate equation instead of going through ALL your notes! :smile: Makes life much easier.

Oh and finally, remember to revise the synoptic stuff from CHEM1.

Hope all this advice is helpful! :smile:
Reply 305
the reactions of metal aqua ions with a little NaOH or a little NH3, I know both reactions have the same product a pppt M(H2O)4(OH)2 with 2+ ions, but when you write out the equation can you just write + 2OH- for NaOH and NH3 or do you have to write +NH3 --> NH4+ for adding a little ammonia?

hope you understand my little ramble... thanks :smile:
Reply 306
Original post by JenniS
the reactions of metal aqua ions with a little NaOH or a little NH3, I know both reactions have the same product a pppt M(H2O)4(OH)2 with 2+ ions, but when you write out the equation can you just write + 2OH- for NaOH and NH3 or do you have to write +NH3 --> NH4+ for adding a little ammonia?

hope you understand my little ramble... thanks :smile:

NH4+ because that is what the product of the deprotonation / hydrolysis reaction with NH3 acting as a base.

With the base OH-, the hydrolysis reaction will produce your hydroxide precipitate and H2O.
Reply 307
hi,
does anyone have a paragraph on cis-platin
thanks for any help

me:biggrin:
Reply 308
Original post by Minnie me
hi,
does anyone have a paragraph on cis-platin
thanks for any help

me:biggrin:

Cisplatin is a Cancer drug, structural formula is (NH3)2PtCl2, it has a square planar structure which is has both Cl's on one side, the NH3's on the other hence the 'cis' name. You do not need to know how it works, but for your own interest the N in guanine displaces the Cl and forms a coordinate bond. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Cisplatin has side effects because it attacks guanine in healthy DNA as well as in cancerous cells.

And that is about it!
Reply 309
Original post by Kev.1995
Cisplatin is a Cancer drug, structural formula is (NH3)2PtCl2, it has a square planar structure which is has both Cl's on one side, the NH3's on the other hence the 'cis' name. You do not need to know how it works, but for your own interest the N in guanine displaces the Cl and forms a coordinate bond. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Cisplatin has side effects because it attacks guanine in healthy DNA as well as in cancerous cells.

And that is about it!

thanks very much, i think its all correct
me :biggrin:
In my text book, it says the colour [Fe(H20)6]^3+ can be purple/yellow/brown. Which one do markchemes prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hart1995
In my text book, it says the colour [Fe(H20)6]^3+ can be purple/yellow/brown. Which one do markchemes prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Purple on the whole
Without breaking any rules,has anyone got any tips for the transition metal isa? Just like the tips on revision areas your teacher gave you before. I don't have a teacher so have no one to tell me what areas to revise
Original post by Beth_L_G
Without breaking any rules,has anyone got any tips for the transition metal isa? Just like the tips on revision areas your teacher gave you before. I don't have a teacher so have no one to tell me what areas to revise

We have the transition metal empa this week? Not sure how similar ISA/Empas are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurawoods
Hello,

I am revising from three textbooks mainly (the main textbook endorsed by AQA, the CGP revision guide and Collins revision guide finally). The CGP revision guide is lovely for CHEM4 and CHEM5 ; the notes are clear, concise and well organised! But, unfortunately, they do not contain everything you need to know to get 'the top grades' . So after you make notes from them, remember to go through your aqa textbook and also the collins revision guide thoroughly. Add 'extra notes'.

I think this is a good time to start on some past papers - not the new ones but the legacy papers (these are the one from 2002- 2008). They give good practice. If you leave past papers to the final minute, it is going to be a bit of a struggle. Chemistry is one of those subjects where practice makes perfect, especially because of the fact that the mark schemes are very very specific. It is good to know (at an early stage) what kind of answer is awarded and what is rejected! :smile: If you get something wrong, remember to make a note of it and then revise that section again + copy down the mark scheme answer. But don't just copy down mark scheme answer ...make sure you understand what is going on (ask on here if you don't)! :smile:

Finally, this seems to be a topic with loads and loads of equations - so what i did personally (to help me) is make little cards with all of the equations on them. So when you do past papers, you can just flick through the card pack to get to the appropriate equation instead of going through ALL your notes! :smile: Makes life much easier.

Oh and finally, remember to revise the synoptic stuff from CHEM1.

Hope all this advice is helpful! :smile:

Hi, when you said the legacy papers, where did you find them? On the AQA website?
Reply 315
Hi can anyone please tell me in aqa as empas do you complete tasks 1,2 and 3 on the same day or do you complete tasks 1 and 2 and do the written paper a week later?

thanx
Reply 316
Purple on the whole

Do you know what they prefer for [Cr(H2O)6]2+? And for[CuCl4]2-?
Original post by erniiee
Do you know what they prefer for [Cr(H2O)6]2+? And for[CuCl4]2-?

blue, and CuCL4- is yellow-green
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 318
blue, and CuCL4- is yellow-green

I mean Chromium, not Copper - and thanks!
Original post by erniiee
I mean Chromium, not Copper - and thanks!

according to my notes Cr2+ (aq) is blue. If you meant 3+ that's ruby red

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending