The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3380
Original post by kurdabora
Guys for the last one I got ratio of 1:3 but I wrote 1:3 chloride to cobalt!!!
How many marks would I lose?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably none. As long as they see a 1:3 ratio they will give you the mark
Do you think for the question on the experiment on how to tell if there is an ionic lattice you could compare theoretical enthalpy values to enthalpies under the pure ionic structure enthalpy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Effectively theoretical to actual enthalpy?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crc290
Probably none. As long as they see a 1:3 ratio they will give you the mark

if you wrote 3:1 will that get the marks too? i didnt have time for working out so i completely guessed and just wrote 3:1, would i get an marks for that?
Reply 3384
Hi

Just wanted to know around how many raw marks are needed to get a B in this exam.

I need a low B to get an A overall in chemistry to get into pharmacy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AspiringGenius
Guys, my friend spoke to a chemistry teacher today and they think (the teacher) the molecule was:

[Co(NH3)6]Cl3

:confused:

AQA... why? :lol:

I put this and I think is it because the complex is solid wont have a charge and the chloride ions dont displace any ligands. Sigh of relief that someone else actually agrees :P Although I put 3Cl at then end because I thought Cl3 would imply the chloride ions are joined together
(edited 10 years ago)
I have attached the official paper :smile:
Reply 3387
Original post by Jim_Taylor
Wow this exam was sooooooooo hard especially compared to previous years the last question was hard, the cobalt one was hard and so was the specific heat capacity one, and the silver one.

I think that i can say bye bye to my uni place. I hope that they lower the grade boundaries as I don't think I will get the grade I need.

I feel exactly the same. I don't wanna see my result coz I know I'm gonna get a B in chemistry! I need an A!!!!! I need a high B in the exam to get an A overall but even that seems impossible! I felt like crying after that exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
With the Q=mc∆T question at the end shouldn't you add the temperature change since the change is positive?
Original post by RoaringLion
This paper was very tricky no doubt, and not all the questions were accessible to all candidates. Let's take an example, the 2 marker on the y=mx+c, which is although seen as simple, is a maths derived question with Math students having an advantage over those who don't even study it at A level. I forgot all that stuff from GCSE but yes I understand it was an application based Q but still y=mx+c isn't exactly on the spec. Also at college, we were told derivation of delta G was not required.

Also the synoptic 5 marker was a bummer. The last question was difficult
and I haven't seen a Q like that before either - although some people found it ok.

A paper which is normally accessible to all candidates was turned upside down and its fair to say CHEM5 could have potentially caused a majority of us to slip up by a grade due to their inability to ask bloody straight forward Q's, so annoyed... Like the majority 😠

Posted from TSR Mobile

After a 3 hr paper in the morning, this was always going to be a struggle for me, but I have to agree that this was one of the hardest papers in recent years.

The Q=mct one was horrible, the last one was tough, even the redox cells one and the e=hv one were both difficult...plus I made a few silly mistakes here and there...

Hoping that my PSA and decent Chem 4 will help me get the A*...

What are people's guesses for boundaries for the A*? Less than 80?
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I feel exactly the same. I don't wanna see my result coz I know I'm gonna get a B in chemistry! I need an A!!!!! I need a high B in the exam to get an A overall but even that seems impossible! I felt like crying after that exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need an A but I KNOW I won't get it. They may lower the grade boundaries hopefully. Perhaps just wishful thinking. I wanted to cry and should have but bottled it up, not good. Are you going for uni this year? Good luck with your results :smile:
Reply 3391
I need an A but I KNOW I won't get it. They may lower the grade boundaries hopefully. Perhaps just wishful thinking. I wanted to cry and should have but bottled it up, not good. Are you going for uni this year? Good luck with your results :smile:

I feel exactly the same. :frown:

Nope not going uni, reapplying for medicine and now had planned to also resit this chem5 exam :frown: in a gap year.

And yourself?

Good luck to you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I feel exactly the same. :frown:

Nope not going uni, reapplying for medicine and now had planned to also resit this chem5 exam :frown: in a gap year.

And yourself?

Good luck to you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am aiming for uni this year but have a feeling I won't make it :frown:

ahhh, Medicine I was going to do that but realised my grades were not that great. Well done for the perseverance, the admiration I have :P You must have taken bio and maths right?

Thanks, just got to wait another 18 days. How hard can it be
Just looking at the paper gives me a really bad feeling, like it's associated with bad memories or something. I thought that I'd done well just after the exam but looking back on it I left quite a few questions blank or badly answered...I've got my EMPA grade to worry about as well, but I've got a pretty big safety net so hopefully I'll get that A.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3394
I am aiming for uni this year but have a feeling I won't make it :frown:

ahhh, Medicine I was going to do that but realised my grades were not that great. Well done for the perseverance, the admiration I have :P You must have taken bio and maths right?

Thanks, just got to wait another 18 days. How hard can it be

What did you apply for and what's your offer? I hope you meet it.

I didn't do maths I did bio though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vip3rgt9
Just looking at the paper gives me a really bad feeling, like it's associated with bad memories or something. I thought that I'd done well just after the exam but looking back on it I left quite a few questions blank or badly answered...I've got my EMPA grade to worry about as well, but I've got a pretty big safety net so hopefully I'll get that A.

What did you think of the EMPA? Most people in my school found it extremely difficult.
Original post by Technetium
What did you think of the EMPA? Most people in my school found it extremely difficult.

It was... I wasn't 100% sure of any of the answers I put. I really hope the grade boundaries are low and that my AS modules + CHEM4 make up the difference.
Original post by Dr.Ugs
What did you apply for and what's your offer? I hope you meet it.

I didn't do maths I did bio though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied for a biochem degree AAA so really no chance of meeting it. What did you apply for and offer? What's your last subject?
Reply 3398
I applied for a biochem degree AAA so really no chance of meeting it. What did you apply for and offer? What's your last subject?

You do have the grades for medicine :smile: well I didn't get in this year. Was hoping to take a gap year and reapply which seems like the only option now because my fifth choice gave an AAA offer as well :frown: lol

My third subject is Business Studies :smile: what do you do? How did you find the bio exam? If you did it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
You do have the grades for medicine :smile: well I didn't get in this year. Was hoping to take a gap year and reapply which seems like the only option now because my fifth choice gave an AAA offer as well :frown: lol

My third subject is Business Studies :smile: what do you do? How did you find the bio exam? If you did it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha no that's my offer, if I get those grades I will be happy trust me :smile: At least you have an offer for medicine which if you meet it when results come out yay :smile:

SAME I did BS :biggrin: It was HARD it seemed so irrelevant mice on mdma or whatever it was :frown: :frown: What about you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending