Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vip3rgt9)
    It was... I wasn't 100% sure of any of the answers I put. I really hope the grade boundaries are low and that my AS modules + CHEM4 make up the difference.
    Mmm..yeah, Task 3 was slightly more abstract than previous years. Did you find the practical tasks sligtly harder than usual? Sorry for all of these questions, but the majority of Centres opt for the ISA so I have not been able to get an idea of how the EMPA was perceived by other candidates outside of my school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Technetium)
    Mmm..yeah, Task 3 was slightly more abstract than previous years. Did you find the practical tasks sligtly harder than usual? Sorry for all of these questions, but the majority of Centres opt for the ISA so I have not been able to get an idea of how the EMPA was perceived by other candidates outside of my school.
    Yeah the practical with all the observations in was not as straight forwards as it was last year with the titration+ calorimetry. It wasn't really that clear what we were supposed to be seeing/writing. There was the first one that involved mixing Bordeaux solution with water and it just kind of looked like there was a blue sludge in the bottle, It wasn't like "Blue Precipitate" or "Blue solution" , it was just a mess...

There were also two other ones that I had issues with, the Iodine one and the heating of the blue solution in a water bath (I think it was the last one on the sheet). Apparently for the iodine observation you were supposed to mention that there was a precipitate floating on the top of the solution. The precipitate (it didn't really look like a precipitate) was white/cream, which I thought was just bubbles from the mixing process so I gave it no further thought.The water bath one went from blue to green (I think) for me, but for a lot of people it simply didn't change colour no matter how long they left in in the bath for.

As you might guess these "wrong" observations that I wrote down have probably lost me further marks in the written paper. The written paper was mainly about observations (colour changes etc) if I remember correctly.

Regarding what other schools/centres do, I've heard that most do the ISA because there's opportunity to retake it, which is obviously favoured by the students than no retake at all. However I'm convinced that the reason some schools choose to do the EMPA is to save the money on a re-take, because I can see no advantage what so ever by doing it.

I don't mind about you asking questions. Ask away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vip3rgt9)
    Yeah the practical with all the observations in was not as straight forwards as it was last year with the titration+ calorimetry. It wasn't really that clear what we were supposed to be seeing/writing. There was the first one that involved mixing Bordeaux solution with water and it just kind of looked like there was a blue sludge in the bottle, It wasn't like "Blue Precipitate" or "Blue solution" , it was just a mess...

There were also two other ones that I had issues with, the Iodine one and the heating of the blue solution in a water bath (I think it was the last one on the sheet). Apparently for the iodine observation you were supposed to mention that there was a precipitate floating on the top of the solution. The precipitate (it didn't really look like a precipitate) was white/cream, which I thought was just bubbles from the mixing process so I gave it no further thought.The water bath one went from blue to green (I think) for me, but for a lot of people it simply didn't change colour no matter how long they left in in the bath for.

As you might guess these "wrong" observations that I wrote down have probably lost me further marks in the written paper. The written paper was mainly about observations (colour changes etc) if I remember correctly.

Regarding what other schools/centres do, I've heard that most do the ISA because there's opportunity to retake it, which is obviously favoured by the students than no retake at all. However I'm convinced that the reason some schools choose to do the EMPA is to save the money on a re-take, because I can see no advantage what so ever by doing it.

I don't mind about you asking questions. Ask away
    Indeed, the first observation on Task 2 was extremely odd. I wrote pale blue solution and some of my peers wrote blue precipitate and a white precipitate :confused:; as for the iodine bath, it was a mess; I had 3 things going on in my test tube: A sandy brown sediment, Red/Brown solution and what appeared to be a precipitate when I had tipped the contents into the sink for further investigation. Task 1 was okay, but they chose an awful indicator. The colour change is extremely subjective!

Task 3 was absolute madness, the titration calculations and equation writing were pretty straightforward, do you remember what % purity you got? - I had around 53% -, and then came the dodgy Zineb and ETU question on chromatography, the excessive application questions and then the last question about distinguishing between Ammonia and Methylamine without using smell; I just talked about using universal indicator because Methylamine is a stronger base than ammonia so the colour would be darker :confused:.

Looking at the grade boundaries last Summer an A = 36/50, A* = 40/50 Raw and the cap for full UMS was 44/50. Do you reckon it will drop, and if so what are your predictions? I am hoping 32/50 = A, 36/50 = A* and the cap for full UMS to be 40/50 or thereabout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim_Taylor)
    Ha no that's my offer, if I get those grades I will be happy trust me At least you have an offer for medicine which if you meet it when results come out yay

SAME I did BS It was HARD it seemed so irrelevant mice on mdma or whatever it was What about you?
    Offer not for medicine for biomed. I don't think I will get AAA so it's still a gap year either way.

Really? Bio, chem and bus? First person I have ever known with the same combination of A levels

Yeah same I hate that paper but chem was worse in my opinion lol hopefully it will be like 69 for an A :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    so how did everyone do... i got 87 ums ;/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student gamer)
    so how did everyone do... i got 87 ums ;/
    105, that paper was a *****.

ReputationRep:
    98 but I got my A in chem

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    114 and an A* overall, jolly good!

ReputationRep:
    120/120

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    108/120 ...got the A* overall though.

ReputationRep:
    Saw this thread pop up in my watched threads box. Glad I never have to sit this exam again. Hope you all did well

ReputationRep:
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    Well done
    Thanks mate!

ReputationRep:
    108 as well

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got the mark scheme for this? I need it urgently !

ReputationRep:
    Hey could anyone direct me to this unit 5 paper please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chanshik)
    Has anybody got the mark scheme for this? I need it urgently !
    Have you got the question paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Technetium)
    I have attached the official paper
    do you have the mark scheme as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLR96)
    do you have the mark scheme as well?
    I don't. Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    has anybody done the A2 chemistry ISA?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.