The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Finding it really hard to get my head around transition metals and aqueous ions stuff.
The booklets we have are terrible, there a mishmash of spec stuff and "*cough cough this will probably be in your isa so its a specific example*", so i dont know whats actually relevent or not... if that makes any sense.

Is the Aqa-chemistry (whatever the sites called) useful for these topics... or is nelsons thorne easy enough to understand or does it babble too much like always?
Or does anyone have any decent notes on them in general?
Reply 521
Original post by Mocking_bird
Finding it really hard to get my head around transition metals and aqueous ions stuff.
The booklets we have are terrible, there a mishmash of spec stuff and "*cough cough this will probably be in your isa so its a specific example*", so i dont know whats actually relevent or not... if that makes any sense.

Is the Aqa-chemistry (whatever the sites called) useful for these topics... or is nelsons thorne easy enough to understand or does it babble too much like always?

I use the collins revision guide but I used nelson thornes while I was learning the stuff. I also tend to use chemguide when I need a bit of a deeper understanding but I think generally the collins revision guide is pretty relevant in everything it says. The nelson thornes book is pretty good for the depth of understanding we need in this unit but thats just IMO. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello, if u don't mind me asking what did u get in chem4?
Reply 523
Original post by laurawoods

What did you get btw? :smile:

A, 100 UMS I think. Yourself?

Original post by Chewy29
I use the collins revision guide but I used nelson thornes while I was learning the stuff. I also tend to use chemguide when I need a bit of a deeper understanding but I think generally the collins revision guide is pretty relevant in everything it says. The nelson thornes book is pretty good for the depth of understanding we need in this unit but thats just IMO. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh alright i'll have a look for that in the library tomorrow, thanks!
Original post by erniiee
What did you get btw? :smile:

I am not comfortable discussing my marks on here. If you want to know you can PM me! From ur messages , I can understand that you see me as an idiot. But I am not as idotic as you think I am. :smile:
A, 100 UMS I think. Yourself?

Oooh alright i'll have a look for that in the library tomorrow, thanks!

Your UMS looks great! Keep it up and I hope you see success in chem5 too! :smile:

Hello,
My biggest advice is 'BUY THE CGP book'. Clear , concise , beautiful notes.
Of course, use the Collins revision guide to add in additional material because the CGP contains the bare bones but it doesn't contain everything needed to star it in the summer! :smile:

If you have any questions regarding any of these chem5 topics pls feel free to contact me! :smile:

God bless! Laura.
Reply 528
I am not comfortable discussing my marks on here. If you want to know you can PM me! From ur messages , I can understand that you see me as an idiot. But I am not as idotic as you think I am. :smile:

LOL
Original post by erniiee
LOL

Tried to + rep this, will do when I can :tongue:
Reply 530
Original post by blueeyedgirl
Tried to + rep this, will do when I can :tongue:

Haha thanks, bit taken aback by her statement :lol:
Hi guys
I'm revising and taken aback by just how much there is to learn- so many equations!!! Do we actually have to learn/memorise all the periodicity equations, titration equations, chromium / cobalt redox reactions, autocatalysis equation of manganate ions, of transition metal ions -acidity and substitution equations?? It just seems like so much!

How's everyone else's revision going? (:
Original post by itssochaotic
Hi guys
I'm revising and taken aback by just how much there is to learn- so many equations!!! Do we actually have to learn/memorise all the periodicity equations, titration equations, chromium / cobalt redox reactions, autocatalysis equation of manganate ions, of transition metal ions -acidity and substitution equations?? It just seems like so much!

How's everyone else's revision going? (:

Yes some of it you have to memorize! But some of them are just very logical (for example: equations related to 'the metal aqua ions' topic). Just relax. Make a card pack containing all of the equations so that when u do the past papers u can simply go through that card pack instead of going through all ur notes to find the relevant equations. As I said, don't panic and u r half way there!

God Bless,
Laura!
Yes some of it you have to memorize! But some of them are just very logical (for example: equations related to 'the metal aqua ions' topic). Just relax. Make a card pack containing all of the equations so that when u do the past papers u can simply go through that card pack instead of going through all ur notes to find the relevant equations. As I said, don't panic and u r half way there!

God Bless,
Laura!

true, many of them are fairly logical - the titration ones for instance, if you can remember the changes in oxidation states, you dont need to memorise you can work it out...thats a good tip btw, thank you :smile: Are you doing Chem 4 also by any chance?
Also, anyone have the link to Chem 5 June 2012 and/or Jan 2013? same for unit 4. would be super helpful. havent been able to get hold of the past papers.Thanks
true, many of them are fairly logical - the titration ones for instance, if you can remember the changes in oxidation states, you dont need to memorise you can work it out...thats a good tip btw, thank you :smile: Are you doing Chem 4 also by any chance?

Hello there,
I took the chem4 exam in jan!

If you don;t mind me asking, how did ur medicine application go?
If you don;t mind me asking, how did ur medicine application go?

I have an offer from plymouth:smile:
Also, anyone have the link to Chem 5 June 2012 and/or Jan 2013? same for unit 4. would be super helpful. havent been able to get hold of the past papers.Thanks

Hi, Tullia posted them:
Chem 5 Jan '13: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42254412&postcount=281

Chem 4 Jan '13:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=42477123&postcount=451

The June 2012 papers are on the AQA website:
http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/science/a-level/chemistry-2420

that's amazing, thank you so much!!! really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending