The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charch95
The oxygen doesn't balance in the overall MnO4- equation. And what happened to the H2O2 when you combined both half equations?

my bad. missed the 5h2o2. then it balances.
Original post by Vip3rgt9
Thank you very much, I couldn't find these anywhere on the internet.

Original post by Zazuwaved
Thanks very much =)

Posted from TSR Mobile

i missed the 5H2O2 off on mno4- by accident! sorry. ive edited it now.
:angry:right, has ANYONE GOT A DOCUMENT OF ALL THE EQUATIONS FOR COLOURS AND COLOUR CHANGE?
Pi keep getting 70-80 on papers but lose around 10 on colours
hey guys.. would knowledge of mechanisms be required for unit 5..
also.. would be need to revise unit 4 . unit being synoptic and all..
how do you balance redox equations involving hydroxide ions?
Original post by xoxoxoxoxox
hey guys.. would knowledge of mechanisms be required for unit 5..
also.. would be need to revise unit 4 . unit being synoptic and all..

knowledge of the whole course is required for unit5. so all manners of organic/ inoranic/ physical and analytical chemistry :wink: mechanism can come up in otherwords lol
Reply 986
hey can any one help?

In my aqa text book at says at one point that [Co(NH3)6]3+ (aq) is formed by oxidation of [Co(NH3)6]2+ and that this is yellow.

However in chapter 16.3 it says that [Co(NH3)6]2+ may be oxidised to air to a dark brown mixture containing Co(III) compounds.

So why does oxidation of the same compound form two different colours?
Reply 987
Original post by cuckoo99
knowledge of the whole course is required for unit5. so all manners of organic/ inoranic/ physical and analytical chemistry :wink: mechanism can come up in otherwords lol

And where did you read that? Because it's not true lol.
Reply 988

Not true, certain aspects from unit 1 and 2 can come up in unit 5. No unit 4. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathsguy
Not true, certain aspects from unit 1 and 2 can come up in unit 5. No unit 4. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

i have a question right infront of me that says "name and outline the mechanism for this reaction" also has some bronstead-lowry acid base theory
i have a question right infront of me that says "name and outline the mechanism for this reaction" also has some bronstead-lowry acid base theory

It's probably old spec :wink:
Original post by Chris-69
And where did you read that? Because it's not true lol.

my teacher told me and i have a unit 5 past paper infront of me with organic chemistry in it
Original post by Sherlockedd
It's probably old spec :wink:

hmm maybe it is a 2008 paper but that means my teacher was wrong lol
hmm maybe it is a 2008 paper but that means my teacher was wrong lol

Yeah 2008 is old spec, new spec won't combine U4 and U5 :smile: (and usually they'll combine U4 with U2 and U5 with U1, although that's not a strict rule, it's just what fits better content wise)
Reply 994
my teacher told me and i have a unit 5 past paper infront of me with organic chemistry in it

You're probably doing an old paper. And you're teacher is wrong, the AQA specification from there website says that the units are not synoptic and that your can do unit 5 and 4 in which order (i.e Unit 5 could be done in Jan and Unit 4 in June).
Reply 995
Can someone explain chromatography column and gassbpleae exams tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smartass
Can someone explain chromatography column and gassbpleae exams tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

check the unit 4 thread , i posted an explanation there at around page 13 ish of the thread
Reply 997
hey guys random question here but can anyone confirm this for me please...

we do NOT have to learn the half equations and overall equations of re chargeable batteries and non re chargeable batteries, for example for lead acid batteries or zinc/carbon like in the text book?

thank you
Reply 998
I'm getting a little confused now.....
So is the paper synoptic or not? This is the first time i've heard its synoptic...???
Reply 999
Yeah thats right! You just need the understanding of these cells to apply in questions which may be related.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending